Ideas for Christmas

Started by dsanchez, November 09, 2006, 22:17:20

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Quote from: melly on January 04, 2008, 11:30:29
jeez..reading about all these lovely gifts...my secret friend will think I'm a scrooge... :smth087...nothing so beautiful as a book, or a cd, or cure stuff...
feel really bad now....sorry my secret friend, I think you will be disappointed now... :smth090

oh melly... if i could concentrate on making a personal card, and writing a letter, this is what i really wanted to do,  but  I am a bit dyslexic when I come to write.. I mentally freeze!! ( I have to get my son to write things.. that's why my posts are repetative and don't make sense..  :smth100  I can press one button at a time!!  :smth023

the c.d.s I put together cost nothing, I just compiled a few albums.. ( Time was the only cost there)
The only real expense, of course was the delivery, but I was soo excited, and the destination so far, it was ok for me. 
( I have a sibling who lives on an island in the Indian Ocean, and am used to the delivery charges..)

please don;t fret. I am just waiting at the mailbox everyday... everyday my son asks..' have you got your secret friend's gift?'.. It will be my only xmas gift for me.. so even a note saying "Hi" will cheer me up for a long time!!!  :smth020 :P :D
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

melly

ahh..ok..thanks you lot...made me feel a bit better...and yes, I too hope it happens again for this xmas; it was such a good idea, and in the space of time we had to organise our pressies, I believe it was a success...I shall be saving my pennies for the next one,be better prepared, as the initial shock of the cost of the postage for my original gift made me faint!!  :shock:   So, a re-think was needed, and a "lesser" package posted...that's why I was disappointed...with myself really...
But, after reading what you have said, I feel a lighter side shinin' thru!! Fanks... :smth026
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

billee

David I am sooooo glad you received my parcel. I have been jumpin out of my skin waiting for it to get to you. Glad it made your day,you have made mine.  :smth023
The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

robiola

WARNING: LONG AND INCOHERENT.
Yay....Got it!! Melly....you silly, silly girl. Why would I not like your gift?? Did you think I was expecting a diamond necklace or something? You're a genius and you don't even know it, and here's why.
Melly sent me a Xmas card (very nice touch) and two souvenirs from her town, a fridge magnet (lovely and sparkly, my  son already tried to steal it) and a metal-clip bookmark (perfect, I almost always carry around a book and I guarantee I'll be the only one sporting a "Wallaroo, South Australia" bookmark). Along with them  there were various postcards of her town and a letter describing the town, its history, main features, and a bit about what it's like to live there, the people and activities and some personal details (good luck catching those sneaky crabs).  And that's what made the difference...In these days when all nations import and export until we're all dizzy, it's normal to have objects from all around the world in your home, you don't give it a second thought. But all the "background" and images made it so that when I was holding the gifts, I recaptured that special, long-forgotten feeling of holding a tiny piece of life in a far away country that I've never visited, of a reality that's foreing to me -- like the first time I got a gift from a far away country when I was a kid and it felt like touching something a little bit alien, from another world, which made it so special.
So I ramble on and on and I'm still not sure I've managed to explain, but anyway
Thank you thank you thank you, I loved it! :smth060

scatcat

How wonderful!!
@robiola... very coherent!  :smth023

It does make u feel warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?..

I maybe the last one yet, but it's been so hot here, I think the posties are off!

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

robiola

Quote from: scatcat on January 05, 2008, 19:05:57
I maybe the last one yet, but it's been so hot here, I think the posties are off!

:smth020
My package had an Australia Post sticker that said "Delayed for compliance with aviation security regulations". Maybe that's the problem with your package...? Well, the Xmas post rush makes things tough -- my friend got my gift four days ago, and that was only travelling from Italy to France!

melly

Oh wow!! What a lovely, lovely thing to say about my little gifts Robiola...brought a tear to my eye, to be honest.....I am so happy you liked my "offerings"...and no, I wasn't under the impression that you would expect something glamorous or expensive, not at all...but after I read what others had sent to their "secret friends", my heart sank, as I felt what I had sent would be a little disappointing... Ahhh, you have made my day with your kind words...thankyou...  :smth058

I don't quite understand why the parcel had the " delayed for compliance with aviation security regulations" sticker on it   :smth017 I had signed the sticker which said there wasn't anything dangerous in it...the only thing I can think of, when it passed through the xray machine at the airport, the bookmark set an alarm off, as it is metal??  I can just imagine Customs, rushing it the bench, carefully, carefully, dismantling the parcel, hearts racing, adrenalin pumping, and then!!! it's a bookmark and a fish magnet... he he he... ah well, at least it got there...eventually!!!

Hey scatcat, I haven't received my gift yet either!!  maybe ours are sitting in customs, been dismantled as we speak!!   :shock:
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

billee

It has been tooooo hot here scatcat and melly so maybe thats the hold up. Either that or the Labradors at customs are having fun with our parcels  :D
The other one feeds on my hesitation
Grows inside of my trepidaton
Buries his claws in my dislocation
I whisper your name to lose control

Steve

Mine arrived from the southern hemisphere & many thanks to "you know who you are".
I see there are a couple of peeps still waiting.
After all the aggro I had with my peecee, I appeared to have lost a lot of mail  :evil:, but I'm on track now thanks to the BOSS :-D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

melly

Quote from: billee on January 06, 2008, 03:59:12
It has been tooooo hot here scatcat and melly so maybe thats the hold up. Either that or the Labradors at customs are having fun with our parcels  :D

You too billee?? well, us "Aussies" are all eagerly awaiting our surprises...those "posties" better get on their bikes and start delivering hey!?? It's cooler here tomorrow ( Monday) so I shall be peering  out of my window, ears alert for the familiar "vroom" of our posties' small motorbike.....         

Quote from: Steve on January 06, 2008, 08:54:26
Mine arrived from the southern hemisphere & many thanks to "you know who you are".
I see there are a couple of peeps still waiting.
After all the aggro I had with my peecee, I appeared to have lost a lot of mail  :evil:, but I'm on track now thanks to the BOSS :-D

Hey Steve... who was your "secret friend", the one who sent your present?? Or do they want to remain anonymous??   :smth004      Jus' wondering...being nosey...

Steve

Well, it was sues777 (hope you didn't mid me spilling the beans there Sue).
It's on my book shelf & I think it's really nice.   :smth023
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

robiola

Quote from: melly on January 06, 2008, 01:37:21
I don't quite understand why the parcel had the " delayed for compliance with aviation security regulations" sticker on it   :smth017 I had signed the sticker which said there wasn't anything dangerous in it...the only thing I can think of, when it passed through the xray machine at the airport, the bookmark set an alarm off, as it is metal??

Either that, or there's something you're not telling us.... Perhaps you are being watched because of a shady past you forgot to tell us about, mh? You queen of international fridge-magnet smugglers, you.... :roll:

sues777

No problems Steve - don't mind at all  :smth023
Just glad it finally arrived and you like it.

Melly, Scatcat, Billee - I hope your presents arrive really soon!!  :smth051
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

melly

YYAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!    :smth081 :smth035 :smth038 :smth041 :smth026   

got my present!! Thankyou sooo much David...( have sent u a pm too)...it is a gorgeous BAG!! Made in Peru, called a "chasqui" (hope that's correct) and it is just lovely!!It's in earthy tones, made from woven material, with "Peru" and a llama ( hope that's correct too David!) woven in the front...I LOVE it, and will use it straight away!!Also, David placed a postcard in the parcel, which has a photo of "local" kiddies ( such beautiful children!)on the front, and a message on the back...lovely, just lovely...
I will be the ONLY person in town with such a bag!! woohoo!!
Thanks...  :smth023

hope the other "Aussies" get theirs soon!!

melly

Quote from: robiola on January 06, 2008, 11:37:21
Quote from: melly on January 06, 2008, 01:37:21
I don't quite understand why the parcel had the " delayed for compliance with aviation security regulations" sticker on it   :smth017 I had signed the sticker which said there wasn't anything dangerous in it...the only thing I can think of, when it passed through the xray machine at the airport, the bookmark set an alarm off, as it is metal??

Either that, or there's something you're not telling us.... Perhaps you are being watched because of a shady past you forgot to tell us about, mh? You queen of international fridge-magnet smugglers, you.... :roll:

:smth043 :smth044 :smth047

oops....caught out.....he he he