Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

BiscuityBoyle

The magical, enigmatic, inimitable Tom Waits

piggymirror

BiscuityBoyle

piggymirror

Giant Sand - Shiver

Ulrich

BiscuityBoyle

Stranglers main man meets Beefheart drummer

BiscuityBoyle

Overall a disappointing third album after a fine debut and that monster of a second album, but this single absolutely slaps

BiscuityBoyle

A classic from one of Montreal's finest. Great video too.

Ulrich

SueC

Cactus World News, from 1986 in Ireland - listed influences include The Ramones, The Clash, Talking Heads, The Waterboys, U2, and REM.

Bought this album (Urban Beaches) when it came out - actually had to import it from the UK, which made it twice the cost of a normal CD back then.  I love the cascading cymbals on this song.  Until this morning I always saw the "Cactus" part as a botanical thing - but today I woke up thinking, "Hello, if you use the colloquial meaning, you'd actually have something like Broken World Newspaper..."

The closing track off that is one of my favourite instrumentals of all time... it's called Cashen Bay Strand - typo in YT... (da hat jemand die Wechsstaben verbuchselt, @Ulrich, @MeltingMan, and @Matti ;))

SueC is time travelling

SueC

I'm always keen to hear string arrangements of Bach's Toccata & Fugue and have just found another fabulous one.  In fact, it's the best string rendition of that I've heard in my life, and we've sampled the album it's off and are ordering it...

Please please please listen to this on a good system with proper bass, not a tinny device speaker...

PS:  Originally written for organ, lovely version here which my husband happened to have in his collection when I married him (bonus! :heart-eyes), all tinkling glass bells:

...about ten years ago, we were holidaying in Tasmania and went sightseeing into an old church in Launceston, where we found the organist at practice.  We sat and listened and he started talking to us, so we asked him if he could play some of Bach's Toccata & Fugue.  His eyes lit up and we're going to remember him playing that for the rest of our lives!  :cool
SueC is time travelling

BiscuityBoyle

Much love for Metal Box but this is the best PIL album at the end of the day https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/public-image-ltd-the-flowers-of-romance/

BiscuityBoyle

Yet my favorite album of 1981 will always be The Gospel According to the Meninblack, the Stranglers at their most boldly experimental. 

piggymirror

SueC demanded a bit more Stone Roses in another thread. Here it is.