Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

QuoteWe won't get to anywhere, darling
Anytime this year
We won't get to anywhere, darling
Unless I dream you there

We won't get to Albuquerque
Anytime this year

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

This song is so utterly applicable it has never gone out of date.

SueC is time travelling

Pongo

Swedish instrumentalist Christian Gabel. He's also the drummer in bob hund, in my opinion the best band from Sweden.

VideovÄld

Video can't be inserted, unfortunately.

Ulrich

"There are some people trying to find out who
There are some people trying to find out why
There are some people who aren't trying to find anything
But that kingdom in the sky..."

Quote from: Pongo on August 26, 2021, 12:55:39Video can't be inserted, unfortunately.

No problem, if it can't be "embedded", just share the link, that's totally ok.

Pongo

That new Nick Cave album is excellent. He is just getting better and better, I think.

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on August 26, 2021, 14:22:25That new Nick Cave album is excellent.

I like it a lot. First time I listened to "Hand of God" in my car, it kinda blew me away! :1f632:

What I heard from "Ghosteen" though, was okay, but I didn't like it enough to buy it. :1f636:

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 26, 2021, 14:33:24What I heard from "Ghosteen" though, was okay, but I didn't like it enough to buy it. :1f636:

I bought it on Spotify :)
It's a bit difficult and requires close listening, not good for just background music. Growing on me every time I listen to it.

Ulrich

(No lyrics this time, instrumental track...)

Quote from: Pongo on August 26, 2021, 14:44:38It's a bit difficult and requires close listening, not good for just background music.

Well the music I heard was "nice", but I missed "songs", it was more like "reciting poetry". But never mind my "problems" with it - if you like it, do listen to it! :)
(N. Cave is so productive, I can't buy it all...)

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 27, 2021, 09:25:27Well the music I heard was "nice", but I missed "songs", it was more like "reciting poetry". But never mind my "problems" with it - if you like it, do listen to it! :)

I think that's what I found interesting. Poetry with a soundscape, or something. I played it to my son, who is studying music making, and he concluded that it hardly qualifies as music. I beg to differ. Music does not have to abide by the rules to be music.
I promise, I will listen to whatever I like :)

I do like the Barabara Manning song. Thanks.

Here's today's song:

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on August 27, 2021, 15:50:24I think that's what I found interesting. Poetry with a soundscape, or something.

Then you might like Marianne Faithfull's latest album (also with Warren Ellis in the role of the "soundscapist"!):

SueC

Quote from: Pongo on August 27, 2021, 15:50:24
Quote from: Ulrich on August 27, 2021, 09:25:27Well the music I heard was "nice", but I missed "songs", it was more like "reciting poetry". But never mind my "problems" with it - if you like it, do listen to it! :)

I think that's what I found interesting. Poetry with a soundscape, or something. I played it to my son, who is studying music making, and he concluded that it hardly qualifies as music. I beg to differ. Music does not have to abide by the rules to be music.
I promise, I will listen to whatever I like :)

That so reminds me of something I heard on the Radio National music show this week. A composer by the name of R. Murray Schafer died recently, and they did a bit of a feature on him, including an interview from 20 years ago in which he talked about exactly that - that modern music is full of these rules and preconceived ideas about what music should be like, and he strongly disagreed with this approach. I really enjoyed that interview; it's in the section at starting at 39:00 here: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/musicshow/villagers-r-murray-schafer/13507302

Here's more on this composer: https://www.cbc.ca/music/r-murray-schafer-composer-writer-and-acoustic-ecologist-has-died-at-88-1.5404868

I'm currently listening to podcasts and ABC Radio National - and the Schafer interview was the highlight in a sea of interesting stuff.
SueC is time travelling

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 28, 2021, 10:59:14Then you might like Marianne Faithfull's latest album (also with Warren Ellis in the role of the "soundscapist"!):

That sounds very likely. Thanks for the tip. There are plenty of gems in MF's back catalogue and she mostly chooses to work with interesting and talented people. The film soundtracks Ellis and Cave have made together are also appealing to me. They have a similar haunting tonality to what is very present elsewhere in the Nick Cave universe of music.

Ulrich

Quote from: Pongo on August 30, 2021, 13:51:09The film soundtracks Ellis and Cave have made together are also appealing to me. They have a similar haunting tonality to what is very present elsewhere in the Nick Cave universe of music.

Yeah, I heard/saw some of them (e.g. "The Road") - seemed to me their music for "Wind River" echoed some "themes" used on "Skeleton tree".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnj50QiI4bg

Pongo

Quote from: SueC on August 28, 2021, 17:07:08...that modern music is full of these rules and preconceived ideas about what music should be like, and he strongly disagreed with this approach.

This is such a big topic and one that I could discuss a great deal. Will take a listen. As with every other form of art, it's when you are breaking with conventions that you are, at least considered to be, groundbreaking and really interesting. I'm not sure it's possible to think of a world where there are no rules and ideas about what music should be like. But I do agree that it's maybe too much of that in what we call modern music. Don't get wrong, even though I like the truly artistic, I can lose myself to the beat and the melody of a well crafted formulaic pop song. I'll be back on the subject

Pongo

Quote from: Ulrich on August 30, 2021, 14:16:33Yeah, I heard/saw some of them (e.g. "The Road") - seemed to me their music for "Wind River" echoed some "themes" used on "Skeleton tree".

Agree. They even used music from "Wind River" as intro music on the "Skeleton Tree" tour.