Here it is... the book thread!

Started by scatcat, November 30, 2007, 03:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

I've been reading "His & Hers" by Alice Feeney. I tried to avoid spoilers, when looking for reviews. It all will depend on the ending and who will be revealed to be the killer (will it make sense? will it be "credible"), but so far it's been a good read.

http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2020/7/26/review-his-and-hers-feeney
QuoteThere are two sides to every story: yours and mine, ours and theirs, His & Hers. Which means someone is always lying.

Narrated alternately by two protagonists whose dubious connections to a murder victim make them instantly-unreliable guides through our story, HIS & HERS gives readers a passenger's seat on a twisty journey to find the truth about a local woman's death.
...but the same image haunts me...

MeltingMan

It looks like Amazon has lifted the restriction on certain zip codes, which I'm very happy about. I have now finished L'Éternelle jeune fille and also the seven-part series by Peladan. At the moment I'm reading ZeitGeschichte - 1700 years of Jewish life in Germany. 🕍
Enfin, le contact d'esprit à esprit l'emporte sur
les caresses et les attendrissements.

(La science de l'amour, Éd. 1911, p. 202.)

Ulrich

Worst book of the year for me was the one by Joel Dicker (as previously mentioned in this topic). Not well-written and the persons in it didn't "come alive", they were often making "strange" decisions within the story which didn't fit their character (as it had been described before).

ALice Feeney (mentioned above) was okay, but the "solution" at the end wasn't too credible.

One I liked recently was Simon Beckett's "Stone bruises".  :cool

QuoteStone Bruises is a stand alone thriller that starts with the main character Sean, abandoning his bloodstained car and taking to the woods. Set in France mid summer, Sean soon is in trouble when his foot is caught in a trap. Rescued by the farms owners and hidden away in an attic it is soon apparent that the family that have taken him in, are anything but normal. Written in two time sequences we follow Sean as he recovers from his injury, and also in the events that have lead up to him being in his car in the first place (starting in London).
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18189475-stone-bruises
...but the same image haunts me...