Wish backing vocals

Started by GreenGhost, December 18, 2008, 20:54:48

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenGhost

The backing vocals on Wish I think sound really amazing and unique from any other album.  Does anyone know who did them?  Was it just Robert singing differently/with effects.  They're just some of the most effective damn backing vocals ever...especially on "Apart".  Great era.
and the past is taunting
fear of ghosts
is forcing me apart

www.chimneysweeprecords.com

nausearockpig

from memory I'm pretty sure that the BVs on Apart are just Robert whispering the words..

Chain Of Flowers

Hi.

I don't recall hearing any other voices on Wish apart from Robert's. 

I was actually listening to that album yesterday, and the production and sounds on that whole album is done so well, that part of me thinks that if only The Cure still had a good producer, their songs might not be as bad these days if it had a more polished/classic Cure sound.

Wish is a top album.   :smth023

GreenGhost

Yeah, I was just pointing out how the backing vocals across all of Wish are strange in a good way and consistent throughout the album.  They seem to only sound like this on this one album.  I suppose they could all just be Robert sounding funny.  Maybe there's a certain effect he used on them consistently in this period?  They're just so awesome and haunting and seem to add more to the songs than your average backing vocal.
and the past is taunting
fear of ghosts
is forcing me apart

www.chimneysweeprecords.com

lostflower4

Quote from: GreenGhost on December 30, 2008, 21:20:00
Yeah, I was just pointing out how the backing vocals across all of Wish are strange in a good way and consistent throughout the album.  They seem to only sound like this on this one album.  I suppose they could all just be Robert sounding funny.  Maybe there's a certain effect he used on them consistently in this period?  They're just so awesome and haunting and seem to add more to the songs than your average backing vocal.

It's all Robert, but I've always noticed how he seemed to be "extra creative" with the background vocals on that album.

However, Caroline Crawley supposedly sang background vocals on "Halo", although I've never really been able to spot them. :smth017

nausearockpig

Quote from: Birdmad Girl on December 30, 2008, 16:00:46
Wish is a top album.   :smth023
Have a listen to it with Tape as the intro, then Open, High, High b-sides, Apart, etc etc, fit the B-sides in after each respective single and you get the "full Wish-experience" as i like to call it..

and yes, it's a really good record.. one of the top three IMO.

If you have a copy of the Fix Mix of Open, chuck that in there instead of the album version of Open... it's sooooo hot...

Chain Of Flowers

I like the Fix Mix of open, but do prefer the original.

All the B Sides from the Wish period are also amongst my favourite B Sides.  I'd rather listen to any Join The Dots CD than their last 2 albums.  This Twilight Garden and The Big Hand are amazing.

I think that my favourite track from wish has to be FTEOTDGS, although it is hard to choose, there are some beautiful tracks on there.

I always have a smile to myself whenever I hear FTEOTDGS because of something that happened to me at a Cure show.  I was in the audience of the MTV Icon event, and someone set my hair on fire.  To cut the story short, during FTEOTDGS, when he sings the line "she listens like her head's on fire", I was singing that out loud not realising what I was saying until it came out, and me and the person next to me who had witnessed the whole incident just burst out laughing.  That was a fun moment.   :D

nausearockpig

Quote from: Birdmad Girl on December 31, 2008, 13:42:53I always have a smile to myself whenever I hear FTEOTDGS because of something that happened to me at a Cure show.  I was in the audience of the MTV Icon event, and someone set my hair on fire.  To cut the story short, during FTEOTDGS, when he sings the line "she listens like her head's on fire", I was singing that out loud not realising what I was saying until it came out, and me and the person next to me who had witnessed the whole incident just burst out laughing.  That was a fun moment.   :D

Amazing story!

AStaticWhiteSound

I was listening to "Wish" today with my noise canceling headphones so all outside sounds were filtered out, and I had it nice and loud and I happened to notice how amazing those background harmonies are. Robert is really great at composing alternate melodies I guess!
A charcoal face bites my hand... My Cure guitar and bass covers