Depeche Mode vs. The Cure

Started by dsanchez, October 24, 2010, 21:18:46

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Interesting article where the author analyze different aspects of each band (better debut album, better videos, better covers done by other bands, etc.)  and explain why he compared them:

Why They Deserve to Be Compared: Like the first Vs. article I wrote for this site, U2 vs. R.E.M., the Cure and Depeche Mode were two of the only alternative rock bands of the '80s to actually achieve mainstream success, and like those two bands, their career paths are eerily similar—both started out as underground successes (at least in the US) that got more and more successful as the '80s went on, culminating with both bands' most acclaimed and popular album at the turn of the decade

The Cure wins to Depeche in categories such as Better Album Debut and Better Classic, Universally-Beloved Single (Just Like heaven). Worth reading!

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/vs/depeche-mode-vs-the-cure.htm
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Trust...

Thanks for sharing dsanchez  :smth023 
Vanilla smile and a gorgeous strawberry kiss x

MeltingMan

The comparison is a bit misleading because the author finished his
examination with Wish and Songs of Faith and Devotion and ignored
the following decade.I've missed also a statement about the fans
and different live qualities.In other words:I'm convinced that DM not
only lost Alan Wilder in the Nineties,but also a considerable number
of fans in favour of The Cure.It's not too late for a tribute song... ;)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

piggymirror

Quote from: dsanchez on October 24, 2010, 21:18:46
Interesting article where the author analyze different aspects of each band (better debut album, better videos, better covers done by other bands, etc.)  and explain why he compared them:

Why They Deserve to Be Compared: Like the first Vs. article I wrote for this site, U2 vs. R.E.M., the Cure and Depeche Mode were two of the only alternative rock bands of the '80s to actually achieve mainstream success, and like those two bands, their career paths are eerily similar—both started out as underground successes (at least in the US) that got more and more successful as the '80s went on, culminating with both bands' most acclaimed and popular album at the turn of the decade

The Cure wins to Depeche in categories such as Better Album Debut and Better Classic, Universally-Beloved Single (Just Like heaven). Worth reading!

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/vs/depeche-mode-vs-the-cure.htm

As a hardcore Cure AND Depeche Mode fan:

What a shitty, totally apples to oranges article.  :oops: :evil:

1) The writer doesn't even know there is no Depeche Mode song called "Microcosm".

2) The writer can't even understand that Depeche Mode are FAR more influential than The Cure will ever be, for the very simple fact that DM are a pioneer electronic band, and The Cure aren't. DM were ground-breaking without even trying, DM, Brian Eno and Kraftwerk are the three most influential bands/musicians in everything electronic. The Cure are an outstanding pop/rock band, one of the ten best UK pop/rock non-electronic bands ever (choose the other nine), but you just can't say they were influential in electronic music because that's simply not true. 

3) The writer even goes totally witless as he says:

Quote[...] Anyway, the victor here is Depeche Mode, basically for the same reason as the last category—the Cure have covered Depeche Mode (a half-hearted run through of "World in My Eyes" from For the Masses), and Depeche Mode have not, as far as I can tell, ever covered the Cure. For all we know (or more importantly—for all the Cure know), Depeche Mode don't even like the Cure. And that's what I call leverage. [...]

It's public that Depeche Mode used to cover Three Imaginary Boys before they released their first album.
Dave Gahan praised The Cure and The Banshees in 1990.
Why shouldn't they like The Cure, then?
Not to talk about the Bamonte brothers (Perry was Martin Gore's classmate, and Daryl, who played with Depeche Mode on their Exotic tour replacing Andy Fletcher who was unable to do it as he had a depression, and used to be the tour manager for both bands)...
There are many (recent!) pictures of members of both bands together (the newest that I can recall is one with Roger O'Donnell, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher).

What a silly article.

MeltingMan

Quote from: piggymirror on July 04, 2016, 06:35:45
(...) but you just can't say they were influential in electronic music because that's simply not true. 
Robert has realized that all those drum computers and synthesizers are
too complex to have a lasting effect on his creativity.The programming
alone is very time-consuming.Nevertheless, the result on parts of Blue Sunshine
and Japanese Whispers is impressive.
Wilder did a great job in studio (listen to Violator), but he's done with DM.
Their shift from synth pop to different types of rock makes a comparison difficult,
if not pointless.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)