Your favorite live versions!

Started by Poe, May 08, 2008, 21:50:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Poe

If you were to make a list of only live versions of Cure songs (top 10 or top 20 perhaps), which songs would you pick, and from what concert? I haven't checked out that many live recordings yet, so I'd love to get some tips.

I found the live version of Disintegration from Leipzig in 1990 a while ago, and I'm still all over it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDXasV957Ro

Then I guess All I Have To Do Is Kill Her from Paris, 82, since that's the only time it's been played, inside or outside a studio...?
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

~*CherryRed*~

Live recordings are impossible to me, there are so many.... I reckon it would be really interesting to see just how many The Cure LIVE releases there actually are!! I'm betting around 200 at least! And thats not bootleg/fan recorded stuff either! Think about it in world wide terms! Amazing.

If I was to make up a live compil. I would have to use stuff from the shows I've been to, as it's more personal to me then. (it's a selfish thing  :roll:)
"prone to flights of whimsy"

japanesebaby

well i guess this might qualify as a poor answer but i don't really like compilations that mix different live concerts/live sources. i like to listen to the complete live shows all through, trying to get some kind of a picture of the event and the atmosphere, the "arc" of the concert so to speak. compilations are fragmented listening experiences, consisting of 3-4 minute glimpses that are not related to each other. i guess i like longer arcs.

i guess it could be considered the same as liking to listen through the albums instead of liking to use some shuffle feature on a media player, and why i don't really like "best of" albums in general.

anyway, maybe i could make a list of some of my favorite live performances of individual songs - but i wouldn't want to stash them on a compilation disc.

Quote from: Poe on May 08, 2008, 21:50:43
Then I guess All I Have To Do Is Kill Her from Paris, 82, since that's the only time it's been played, inside or outside a studio...?

certainly not inside a studio...
anyway like discussed in the 'all i have...' thread, i'm still not convinced that it should be considered an individual song. i think it's much better to consider it as one rendition of an improvisational piece of music (i wouldn't even call it "a song") called 'all mine'.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 09, 2008, 11:02:38
i don't really like compilations that mix different live concerts/live sources. i like to listen to the complete live shows all through, trying to get some kind of a picture of the event and the atmosphere, the "arc" of the concert so to speak. compilations are fragmented listening experiences, consisting of 3-4 minute glimpses that are not related to each other. i guess i like longer arcs.

i guess it could be considered the same as liking to listen through the albums instead of liking to use some shuffle feature on a media player, and why i don't really like "best of" albums in general.

Well yes, such a compilation would be fragmented, with varying quality to the recordings and such. I didn't mean to put too much emphasis on the "compilation" bit, I should have said "list" instead, something you could use as a springboard to live recordings of certain concerts that you haven't checked out yet. I'll edit my post: if you were to make a list, like you said, of your favorite live versions, which ones would you pick? By the way, I have listened to the Leipzig 1990 concert and the Paris 82 concert in their entirety.

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 09, 2008, 11:02:38
Quote from: Poe on May 08, 2008, 21:50:43

certainly not inside a studio...
anyway like discussed in the 'all i have...' thread, i'm still not convinced that it should be considered an individual song. i think it's much better to consider it as one rendition of an improvisational piece of music (i wouldn't even call it "a song") called 'all mine'.

I've only heard of this recording of AIHTDIKH, but I didn't want to seem too sure about myself, and then look like a complete newbie if I was wrong... :oops: Anyway, I haven't heard of All Mine, is that a studio outtake they improvised from or...? I thought AIHTDIKH was something they had toyed around with in the studio and then decided to play live, as a more or less "complete" song. I wanted to include it since I don't know of any other Cure song (except covers like You Really Got Me) that have only been played live and never in a studio.

japanesebaby

yes i see. anyway, it's a more complex topic than is usually being discussed. simply because one's personal favorites often depend on the quality of the recording too, not just on the quality of the gig itself.
for instance, you can easily list great gigs but unfortunately the only available recording is not that great. or the other way round. great recording but the gig was nothing special. then sometimes these two things meet, you manage to find the definitive source for something and then you have something really nice and enjoyable - and a new favorite has been born. 

Quote from: Poe on May 09, 2008, 11:37:08
By the way, I have listened to the Leipzig 1990 concert and the Paris 82 concert in their entirety.

i was reading one other forum some time ago and there was a topic where people voted for "what's the best '08 recording ???". the answers posted there were simply something like  "hamburg!" "copenhagen!!" - and well, i don't mean to say those people had it wrong or that their opinions were not as good as someone else's, not at all. but that kind of conversation/poll really makes very little sense at all - because it all depends what source you were listening to(!). ok sometimes you can guess what it was, if there's only one recording currently available. but ver very often there are several different recordings for each concert and the quality of these can really vary from 1 to 10 (not to mention there can be FM/soundboard recordings there too, not only audience sources).
so as long as you don't state which version you were listening to, it doesn't really say much. and someone might read the answers and want to check some concert out because it was recommended, but just happens to get a completely different source to the gig, maybe something a lot more inferior - and of course he/she would think "hey wt...? this was supposed to be a good one, to my ears this isn't great at all!" - but maybe he/she just got the different source, not the definitive one?
so... it's just a lot more complex than that.

i've always tried to speak pro preserving the source info when shows are being traded/shared. i know there are a lot of people who don't bother doing that and well, i can't change their minds. but i've noticed whenever i (or anyone else) write about "please preserve the source info" or post these people a question asking "what source is this?", some of these people sometimes get really annoyed and think i'm asking it because i want to be a smart-ass. but they miss the point, i don't try to be a smart-ass at all. the whole point is that it simply would be so much more helpful to the community as a whole, IF we bothered keeping records for the sources. because THEN we could actually start discussing these sort of "what's your favorite live version?" stuff. without that the conversation is not detailed enough to have much meaning. it can point people to wrong directions and cause them disappointments = when people spend time searching for some show and end up getting the wrong version without knowing it etc.
(and besides, it's really not that difficult, to preserve the source info. all one needs to do is to preserve that little .txt file that is usually delivered with the newly uploaded concerts. or to write a little note to go with your cds.)

so this is the only reason i've kept speaking (and will keep on doing so) in favour of lineage/source info: because then we could really start discussing things like this!

by the way, if it needs to be said. no, i'm not trying to make this thread stall and kill the conversation by saying "it's too complex, we can't really talk about this". not at all. i think conversation is definitely interesting and always welcome, of course. i'm just pointing out that we need to take several different things into consideration when we're rating stuff - because rating live stuff is completely different than rating official albums.

ps. and excuse me for such a long post. i am well aware that i'm actually doing myself an "unfavor" by writing too many words because hardly anyone bothers to read through it, however "important" or "interesting" things i myself thought i was saying there). anyway.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

KingOfSomeIsland

Pictures of You from Paris '96
Disintegration from Wembley '89 (Entreat)
Catch and Close to me from Paris 92' (Paris)
A Forest and Doing The Unstuck from Detroit 92' (Show)
Why Can't I Be You from Wembley '87(Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Deluxe)

Thats all i can think of for now, i need to find where the hell all my bootlegs went...

lostflower4

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on May 11, 2008, 00:56:20

A Forest and Doing The Unstuck from London 92' (Show)

Which versions are you talking about?  Show wasn't from in London.  ;)

Why Can't I Be You from Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me Deluxe (no idea of the date)

Last night of London Wembley '87

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 09, 2008, 12:17:16
by the way, if it needs to be said. no, i'm not trying to make this thread stall and kill the conversation by saying "it's too complex, we can't really talk about this". not at all.

Yes, at one point during the reading I thought "hang on a minute! I get the message!", hehe.

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 09, 2008, 12:17:16the whole point is that it simply would be so much more helpful to the community as a whole, IF we bothered keeping records for the sources. because THEN we could actually start discussing these sort of "what's your favorite live version?" stuff. without that the conversation is not detailed enough to have much meaning. it can point people to wrong directions and cause them disappointments = when people spend time searching for some show and end up getting the wrong version without knowing it etc.

Perfectly valid point. I've usually just went for what live recording I could find, without really considering if there can be better recordings of the same concert. Bothering to bring up such things as source info only increases the possibility of people like me making an extra effort to get the most out of our listening experience, so by all means, let's!

Paris, A l'Olympia, 82-06-07 (7th of June):
http://visual.givemeit.de/alolympiaparis761982/

No idea what live recording of the Leipzig concert I heard, don't have it anymore...other than that, I've seen some clips on youtube from the concert, which are supposed to be from the TV broadcast "Festwiese am Zentralstadion", recorded in Leipzig, 90-08-04.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V62nOEDyLlM&feature=related
(A clip of A Forest)

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 11, 2008, 01:12:08

A Forest and Doing The Unstuck from London 92' (Show)

Which versions are you talking about?  Show wasn't from in London.  ;)

Oh my bad Concert was in London, Show was in Detroit, Im talking about the versions on Show which would be Detroit '92

Cure

FAITH Tiananmen Version
it's fabulous!!
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

Lady

"Forever" from Toronto 2004
"Charlotte Sometimes" from "Paris"
"Prayers For Rain" from 4tour
"Bloodflowers" and "There Is No If" from "Trilogy"

....and many more! ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]