Your Top Movies & Recommendations

Started by dsanchez, July 11, 2007, 00:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

And another article about "Dune", but this time the old version (1984):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/david-lynch-dune-mess-or-misunderstood-masterpiece/

QuoteLynch disavowed Dune – it's the one movie he wishes he had never made. He wasn't alone: Dune was regarded as a baroque disaster for years: unintelligible and absurd.

But as the second half of Denis Villeneuve's slicker, sleeker take on the Herbert novel dominates the global box office, it is fair to say that the 1984 movie is no longer perceived as a disaster for the ages. Many have a sneaking fondness for it, blemishes and all. These include its star Kyle MacLachlan, who plays the Timothée Chalamet role of boy prophet Paul Atreides. "I look at it as a flawed gem," he told IndieWire in 2020. "It's stunning in so many ways."

Lynch never got over not having final cut. He had pushed for a three-hour run-time. Dino De Laurentis, mindful of the realities of the cinema business, insisted on two hours, and the movie that reached the screen in a truncated 137 minutes. It's widely regarded as incomprehensible to those coming fresh to Herbert's intricate universe. Still, Dune 1984 remains singular – only Lynch could have made it. 

I saw this back in the day (when we still had a cinema in this town) and liked it. I had no idea who Lynch was or what critics said, I just saw the trailer and decided to watch this sci-fi movie!  :cool
The holy city breathed like a dying man...