Invent a band & album

Started by Steve, January 20, 2008, 17:19:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Like it Marika.

The rules can be flexible I guess. When I write the reviews I pluck bits out of the random quotes for song titles & try to use some of the Wiki info about the band if poss.
The imagination that has gone into these is brilliant.
:-D
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

Steve

This is one I got from another friend, but it goes to show that the strangest of pics can make for a good cover

Infamous Lollapalooza darlings Odong Latek unleash another torrent of foul-mouthed, metal-funk-groove mayhem. What could pass for the soundtrack to a depraved 4 am pool party hosted by Marilyn Manson and gatecrashed by Primus and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this one should be played loud, kids - but wait 'til Mum's gone to the hair dresser!

Track to download: "Sometimes It Is Harder"
Cheers
Steve

crowbi_wan

I've been having a hoot with this.  Already made around 7 albums  :-D  Here's one of my favorites.

While trolling through your local record shop's indie bin, be sure to check out this gem from up-and-comers Turkish Revenge Brigade and do as the title implies, Give It A Try.  You'll find yourself in the presence of irresistible, garage-bred rock on the group's blissed-out four-song debut EP.  Fun as hell, and superbly crafted, Give It A Try easily leaves listeners clamoring for more, making word that there's a full-length in the band's future superb news for those in need of additional manic pop thrills.   

Carnage Visor

Can I do another? This is really fun!!!  8)

japanesebaby

i won't post a series, but this pic i got just made me laugh.

this must be the 3rd album by the semi-legendary(?) art-rock trio GORHAM'S DISEASE (formerly known as Idiopathic Massive Osteolysis).
sorry for the lack of background info but to be honest i've really no idea what they sound like as i'd simply be too damn frightened to pick up anything with moz's face on it.
maybe someone else can give it a listen. or maybe not.

(something tells me they might share the record label/art direction with the abovementioned SGM. :roll:)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 23, 2008, 00:12:07
i won't post a series, but this pic i got just made me laugh.

this must be the 3rd album by the semi-legendary(?) art-rock trio GORHAM'S DISEASE (formerly known as Idiopathic Massive Osteolysis).
sorry for the lack of background info but to be honest i've really no idea what they sound like as i'd simply be too damn frightened to pick up anything with moz's face on it.
maybe someone else can give it a listen. or maybe not.

(something tells me they might share the record label/art direction with the abovementioned SGM. :roll:)

I think I saw that one at a yard sale going for 10 cents.  No takers, though  :P

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on January 23, 2008, 00:23:41
I think I saw that one at a yard sale going for 10 cents.  No takers, though  :P
regardless of whether there even was a record intact inside the sleeve, 10 cents for moz's face = rip-off! booo!  :x

:lol:
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

melly

Quote from: Steve on January 22, 2008, 08:05:53
@all.
I am proud of you.  :smth023

:smth090

i have tried, so hard. i must be the only person on the planet who just can't work this out... such a plonker when it comes to doing something on the puter i am so unfamiliar with.
having a chuckle at others posts tho'....
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

crowbi_wan

After mild success with thier fist album (We Are Tools), largely due to the minor club hit of the same name, this not-so "super" group comprised of Fred Durst (Limp Biskit), Pete Wentz (Fall Out Boy), and Gerard Way (MCR) are back with their sophomore album; Playful, Rebelious, and Immature.  You are not alone in asking yourself "why?".  Lending their talents to the Pleasure Island Family Theme Park camp this time around are none other than Del tha Funkee Homosapien and mixmaster/producer Danger Mouse.  Not even guest appearances by Eminem, Cee-Lo, Damon Albarn, and William Shatner can save this trainwreck of a project.  The first single from the album, My Butthole Hurts , was origianlly to have been included on the Myspace Christmas sampler, however it was pulled for reasons not yet made public.             

scatcat

Following her debut album titled " Too much coffee", this post-latin moaner has once again proven that maybe she should be put to sleep. Phakisa Dirtiworde
( yes that is her real name) attributes her musical talents to her parents, Shitina Bucket and Dikisa Dirtiworde, even though no talent shines through whatsoever.

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

crowbi_wan

After creating a buzz during last year's SXSW music festival with their not-to-be-missed live show, .303 British landed a mainstage slot on the Taste of Chaos Tour later in the year.  All this without even putting out a proper album!  It was during the Chaos tour where they hooked up with Ross Robinson, who "got out" of working with The Cure in order to produce the French-Candian trio's highly anticipated debut.  Make Today Worth Remembering ranges from indie rock to dream pop to, of course, nu metal, as you'd expect with any Robinson production.  Highs are the moody Smashing Pumpkins-esque MVR, a song depicting the life of famed Red Baron flying ace, Manfred von Richthofen, who was shot down by a .303 round (in which the band gets it's name) and the title track, Make Today Worth Remembering, which draws comparisons to Chino Moreno side project, Team Sleep.  All in all, this first offering from .303 British is listenable, but leaves me wanting more.  The emotion and energy these guys put worth on stage doesn't translate to the studio.  Buy the album, don't buy the album.  These up and comers don't really care (most young artists don't as they are under poor contracts that net them very little, if any, money).  DO see them when they pass through your city.  Tickets for a short club tour with prog outfit, The Mars Volta, are selling out fast. Coachella, Lollapolooza, as well as a handful of Euro festivals are slated for later in the summer.             

crowbi_wan

Once known for filling arenas, aging 80s icons Goi Station have reunited for a farewell tour to support their recent greatest hits album, To Make You Happy.  Long gone are the days of Madison Square Garden and Wembley.  This time out they'll be lucky to fill the reserved sections of the wineries they're due to play.  My suggestion for those wishing to relive your high school days, save a few dollars, grab a blanket, and stretch out on the grass in general admission.  There will be PLENTY of room.   

Steve

You are all amazing. I have been laughing since I logged in. :smth023
@CV. Post as many as you like.

Leading the field in the post-Slint post-rock post-consciousness, Riverbank State Park return with this, their 17th album in 9 years. Band leader and vocalist Mark Wyjoczklty (who also plays all instruments, aside from drums) crafts an aural sculpture as steely and cold as a cold steel bathtub, while Steve Albini's production is characteristically dry as a bone. Described as a personal odyssey through the emotional landscapes of the 21st century American mid-west, the 23 songs on side 1 document the collapse of trust in the modern age in a harrowing 15 minutes. The remaining song on the album, the 63 minute instrumental "Bombie the Zombie", which stretches over sides 2, 3 and 4 (with the final part of it being included on a 7" single contained only in a special limited pressing of the first 1000 LPs) chronicles the aftermath of the post-industrial mind, a world in which individuality is suppressed in favour of the new hive mentality.
Cheers
Steve

Steve

The new U2?
Not really. Pelan are another Irish "also ran" on the scene & this first platter from the Emerald Isle based quintet is both weak & soul-less (not unlike a James Blunt record).
With subject matter ranging from the EU butter mountain to what colour pants can be washed with white t-shirts, this effort is dull in the extreme.
Frontman Brendan Shennanigan simply hasn't got the range to carry off many of the tracks & ought to have a serious discussion with songwriter, Keiran Blarney about which key to use before venturing into the studio again (god forbid).
One bright point of the album is Rory McGuiness' tambourine solo on the anti rambler anthem, "Get Orf My Land!".
Other than that, this is a disc that will vanish from the shelves of your local corner shop & bypass the bargain bucket instantly.
Let's hope someone can recycle CDs, as this piece of sh!t is coming that way.
Cheers
Steve

scatcat

wow this is addictive!! everyone is so talented!! Absolutelty hilarious! :P

I'm sorry mine was so short and lacking a proper review, but by the time my son helped me actually put it alll together, I was pooped!  :smth100

I'll be back !!   8)
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life