Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

Never a big fan of DTH, but this song kinda grips me...

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

SueC

Well, here's a favourite track off an Appalachian folk album I bought off Bandcamp last year.  It's great for digging up your potatoes to, and doing general harvesting and sowing.  I didn't have an Appalachian album yet and really enjoy it.  Plus, the woman singing on the track happens to be a buddy off my "home forum" and it's great to discover the hidden talents of your circle of acquaintance.  I love her voice!  :heart-eyes  This is a variation of an old doomed-love song, where one person dies in tragic circumstances and parts of her get made into a fiddle that will then only play doom type music...

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Ulrich

One for Valentine's day:

BiscuityBoyle

To me, Outside is Bowie's finest post-Scary Monsters hour.

piggymirror

word_on_a_wing

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

@piggymirror, your last video won't play, what was it?

I really like this Pixies track and am hence re-listening to it:

@Ulrich, nice choice for the 14th.  :cool  Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English - or kind of like what happens with words in rap music, where people are just jabbering over music with little seeming connection to it (much more extreme in rap and one reason I generally don't like it as a genre).  I liked the guitars and the general intentions and themes of this song.  The drumming made me break out in hives - just the style, in the straight bang-bang-bang sections... Funny how music affects people in different ways.  :lol:

Here's a lovely Waterboys track which is perfect for doing boring paperwork.

@BiscuityBoyle, I know this is an impertinent question so I've been sitting on it a while, but do you like biscuits?  How did you make your moniker?

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

It must be 30 years ago now when I first heard the Pixies (they were a big "hype" among friends back then in early 1990).

Quote from: SueC on February 17, 2020, 08:07:23Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English...

Even though I am from Germany, I tend to agree. Like I said I've not been a fan of DTH (but they're friends of a friend of mine, thus they gain some sympathies) and in my collection you won't find many bands singing in German language...
Ever since the mid-80's I have preferred English(-speaking) bands (not just The Cure, also The Damned, The Stranglers, Ramones and many more).

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on February 17, 2020, 09:34:19
Quote from: SueC on February 17, 2020, 08:07:23Re DTH, I don't know why it seems so weird to me to hear people singing to contemporary music in German.  To me it's like there is a greater distance between the words and the music and it doesn't blend like it does with English...

Even though I am from Germany, I tend to agree. Like I said I've not been a fan of DTH (but they're friends of a friend of mine, thus they gain some sympathies) and in my collection you won't find many bands singing in German language...
Ever since the mid-80's I have preferred English(-speaking) bands (not just The Cure, also The Damned, The Stranglers, Ramones and many more).

I don't know why it is, @Ulrich, it just seems that English sounds more mellifluous.  German has quite a harsh sound, as is lampooned here:

So I've also preferred contemporary music sung in English (French, Gaelic, Zulu etc also sound fine) to German.  I actually can't name a German-language contemporary song I really love - but plenty in other languages.  Strange, isn't it.  It's sort of the same with poetry, I think that sounds better in English than German, and I much prefer Shakespeare to Goethe etc.

And yet when you look at classical music, German composers have created so much beautiful stuff.  Here's one example, and I will post a clip of a special "live" version.  This one works even though people are singing in it!  :)

:heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes :heart-eyes
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

piggymirror

SueC

The world must be ending, because I mowed the lawn without listening to Paris:1f631:

Re-acquainting myself with one of Australia's best storytellers this morning.

If anyone knows a better song about the human life cycle, please let me know.  :cool

DEEPER WATER

On a crowded beach in a distant time
At the height of summer see a boy of five
At the water's edge so nimble and free
Jumping over the ripples looking way out to sea

Now a man comes up from amongst the throng
Takes the young boy's hand and his hand is strong
And the child feels safe, yeah, the child feels brave
As he's carried in those arms up and over the waves

Deeper water, deeper water, deeper water, calling him on

Let's move forward now and the child's seventeen
With a girl in the back seat tugging at his jeans
And she knows what she wants, she guides with her hand
As a voice cries inside him, I'm a man, I'm a man

Now the man meets a woman unlike all the rest
He doesn't know it yet but he's out of his depth
And he thinks he can run, it's a matter of pride
But he keeps coming back like a cork on the tide

Well, the years hurry by and the woman loves the man
Then one night in the dark she grabs hold of his hand
Says, "There, can you feel it kicking inside"
And the man gets a shiver right up and down his spine

So the clock moves around and the child is a joy
But death doesn't care just who it destroys
Now the woman gets sick, thins down to the bone
She says, "Where I'm going next, I'm going alone"

Deeper water, deeper water

On a distant beach lonely and wild
At a later time see a man and a child
And the man takes the child up into his arms
Takes her over the breakers to where the water is calm

Deeper water, deeper water, deeper water, calling them on
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

I sometimes go through phases where I listen to one artist/musician almost exclusively for months. Currently I find myself completely immersed in The Magnetic Fields.

There are so many gems in the lyrics of Stephin Merritt, always makes me smile...this track has some of my favourites...

"When I was 2 and a half my mother said to me "love is funny you will laugh ...til the day you turn 3""

"Like a kitten up a tree needs a fireman to rescue it, so your fireman I will be and I'll really get into it"

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."