Cure Remasters

Started by krissik, August 21, 2006, 02:26:41

Previous topic - Next topic

bluewater

About the sound quality of the remasters. Kiss me is no more flat and dull and muddy like the old cd. The difference in my stereo is huge. For example one more time
sounds about 5 desibels louder than on the older cd and still there's no clipping. I would say about Kiss me remastered that it's now one of the best sounding new wave cd's made. On every remastered cd the difference to the old cd's is in the high frequency response. I would say about the soundquality on the scale 1-5, that the old cd's sound was somewhere around 2-3 points out of 5 and the new versions are much better, i'd say 4-5 points out of 5.

-bluewater
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

Darth Blood

I just receive my remasters package from CDWOW

the art is awsome!!! i will listen them this weekend and then my coments...!!!

:rocker :rocker :rocker
Darth Blood

bluewater

Quote from: iggy.pop on September 08, 2006, 10:09:58
Even if they don't want to put others tracks on the album, i think they must remastered the live albums. Original CD are not good, or why they remastered it ?
And RS philosophy about remasters is : let's put extra tracks on the remasters bonus CD.

So live recording must be remastered.

We all have unofficial tracks, and i think the Cure have a lot of recordings that we never heard. So i think they have materials to put a bonus CD.

I think Paris cd is one of the best sounding live cd´s made. There´s nothing wrong with the sound quality of it. It is mastered
a bit low in desibels (volume) if compared to newer live cd's, but it has strong and detailed sound, no need for remastering. If extra cd would be added, would it be from same source or inferior source? And would the mixing succeed very well? I doubt it, that´s
why i think it´s unlikely that it will be re-mastered.

-bluewater

iggy.pop

Quote from: bluewater on September 10, 2006, 14:17:59

I think Paris cd is one of the best sounding live cd´s made. There´s nothing wrong with the sound quality of it. It is mastered
a bit low in desibels (volume) if compared to newer live cd's, but it has strong and detailed sound, no need for remastering. If extra cd would be added, would it be from same source or inferior source? And would the mixing succeed very well? I doubt it, that´s

-bluewater

You think that Paris or Show don't need remastering. Why not. Those CD was out after Wish. According to you, Wish Cd don't need to be remaster too, i think. And the CDs out AFTER Wish too, because they was made for CDs. And maybe Disintegration and Entreat (the CD technology was OK when they was recording).
I hope i'm wrong by writing that.
Every album of The Cure must be remastering until Bloodflowers. And The live albums too (even Paris or Show) and Entreat with a complete Wembley performance (for cult_hero, and everybody, of course).

I hope i'm not hurting you. This is not what I want. Every new remaster is like a new album, even if i know it before (i'm listening too The Cure since 1984 and Concert album). So, i hope that evrything will be remastered.

bluewater

Quote from: iggy.pop on September 11, 2006, 16:06:21
Quote from: bluewater on September 10, 2006, 14:17:59

-bluewater

You think that Paris or Show don't need remastering. Why not. Those CD was out after Wish. According to you, Wish Cd don't need to be remaster too, i think. And the CDs out AFTER Wish too, because they was made for CDs. And maybe Disintegration and Entreat (the CD technology was OK when they was recording).
I hope i'm wrong by writing that.
Every album of The Cure must be remastering until Bloodflowers. And The live albums too (even Paris or Show) and Entreat with a complete Wembley performance (for cult_hero, and everybody, of course).

I hope i'm not hurting you. This is not what I want. Every new remaster is like a new album, even if i know it before (i'm listening too The Cure since 1984 and Concert album). So, i hope that evrything will be remastered.

Hi,

If the live cd's will only be remastered and no extra tracks included, i wouldn´t buy them only for a small improvement in sound. Of course if extra tracks from same
sources appear it´s a different thing. I only doubt that show or paris will be remastered, i´m not saying that they shouldn´t be, of course they should but i wouldn´t
buy them for small improvement in sound, musically it´s not worth it, if no extra tracks are included. That is what i meant.

cheers,

bluewater

Btw: A complete show will be released on dvd box next year (according to cure news). The problem with paris then is that it´s a long show like cure shows are
and would take 3 cd´s, and then there would be same song titles than on show (now "show" and "paris" are disjoint, no same song titles). If all would be re-relaesed
as full shows it would be

concert = 2cd´s
show = dvd
paris = 3 cd´s
entreat = 3-4 cd´s

And i think that´s the only way how they should be treated, if they are treated at all.

japanesebaby

Quote from: bluewater on September 16, 2006, 16:15:04
If all would be re-relaesed
as full shows it would be

concert = 2cd´s
show = dvd
paris = 3 cd´s
entreat = 3-4 cd´s

And i think that´s the only way how they should be treated, if they are treated at all.

i have my doubts too that the live shows will be releasedas remasters.
of course, why not... but i also see a problem in these 3-4 cd sets for 'entreat' & 'paris'.
take for instance a live album like 'entreat':
it's already a mix of several nights, and that's what it was designed to be,
a selection of songs, not a complete gig. so how to make it a complete show anyway?
in my eyes/ears it would turn out completely artificial if they tried to pick up
more songs and make some kind of "ultimate wembley show" - i mean,
how to design/decide the setlist there? because they weren't identical in all three events as we know.

so for me it looks like the only really reasonable option would be to put
out all three nights of wembley, all three shows just as they are, and not start
picking up the best tracks and putting together some imaginary "super-wembley-show"
that never took place anyway.
but of course, they'll never do that...

i think the same goes with 'paris' - that was a documentation of a similar special
"three-night event" too, not a documentation of one live performance.

m

(terveisiä oulun suuntaan  ;) )
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

by the way, just out of general curiosity:
this reminded me that i listened to the three wembley nights way back
some time just to see which song comes from where.
i haven't re-checked it recently but if i'm not mistaken, i think this was the conclusion:

from 1989-07-22

Last Dance
Fascination Street
Prayers For Rain

from 1989-07-23

Disintegration  (intro from 1989-07-22)
Closedown

from 1989-07-24

Pictures Of You 
Homesick
Untitled

the intro for disintegration comes from 1989-07-22 since it follows 'prayers for rain' from that night
without a break, but it's actually patched in to the next night's performance - oh how disappointing
trickery, they faked it!  :? ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Descent

Haha. I never checked on this. Oh, I miss the kiss of trickery...  :cool:

About the live albums... I highly doubt as well they'll be remastered. "Concert" would have been released with The Top and The Head on the Door if they planned to. And live albums, by design, aren't the ones that matter so much in the Cure's discography... You can be attached to one of course, for personal reasons, but for Robert Smith, the studio album is always more important.

bluewater

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 16, 2006, 19:58:48
(terveisiä oulun suuntaan  ;) )

(Samoin, terveisiä Helsinkiin! Ja muillekin piilossa oleville suomen cure faneille!)

Interesting observations and same thoughts that i had on paris and wembley. Thanks for looking into it.

-bluewtr

bluewater

Quote from: Darth Blood on September 05, 2006, 23:42:07
this skinner session is now available on flac format and very very nice sound at the imaginary lemurs site!!!!
i just downloaded it recently and is a good recording!!!

regards!!!

It really is a great recording. It is one of the best unofficial recordings from cure, in fact my favourite.
(thanks to imaginary lemurs for providing it!!)

-bluewtr

Darth Blood

show and orange are already announced as a dvd release on a live box dvd...
dont remember if anyone besides this 2 titles...
Darth Blood