New guidelines for posting in the Audio section

Started by lostflower4, October 25, 2006, 20:35:05

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Dear Curefans,

As you may have noticed, the main focus of the forum has become downloading. Because people are sharing too many poorly encoded mp3's, and because at least 80% of members have fast Internet connections (according to our stats), the Curefans.com staff has decided the following after many weeks of discussion:

That from the 1st of November only shows in FLAC and other lossless formats may be uploaded to the Audio section of the forum.

Why? Because we believe that we should focus on quality over quantity. There are literally hundreds of mp3 bootlegs, and it's just an invitation for the people to download and download, and not to participate in the discussions of the forum, which was originally the main focus of this forum.

Because approximately 10% of us have slower connections, the staff and host sites are willing to help those who want to share or download the FLAC shows. We will be posting more details about this in the near future.

This will certainly require some patience and adjustment. We hope for your understanding, and we invite you to discuss this post here.

Thanks for your cooperation,

The Curefans staff

boneheadhaggar

I for one have stopped downloading anything in mp3 anymore, FLAC or other lossless formats are much better, although I can totally appreciate why people with slower connections would prefer the much smaller files :smth020
its nice to be nice

wish

music is the best

crowbi_wan

Excellent news!  A wise decision.   :smth023  

:smth020 Quality is where it's at.  

lacrima mosa

so from now on i will be one of those who only downloads... i dont have any wav nor flac shows...  :smth011
but i understand the quality aspect and the aspect that too many people only download... but as i said, i'll be one of them from now on! i have over 600 mp3 shows... now just for me!  8)
08.10.2022 Helsinki
10.10.2022 Stockholm
12.10.2022 Oslo
13.10.2022 Göteborg
14.10.2022 Kopenhagen
16.10.2022 Hamburg
17.10.2022 Leipzig
18.10.2022 Berlin
18.11.2022 Strassburg
19.11.2022 Basel

dsanchez

I just want to point that the forum is not restricted to the "Downloads" section (uploading or downloading shows) and I encourage to everyone to be more active also in the another sub-forums. We should improve the discussion in Curefans.com!

:smth023

David.

Quote from: lacrima mosa on October 25, 2006, 23:11:43
so from now on i will be one of those who only downloads... i dont have any wav nor flac shows...  :smth011
but i understand the quality aspect and the aspect that too many people only download... but as i said, i'll be one of them from now on! i have over 600 mp3 shows... now just for me!  8)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

exploding boy

mmm by my work it is impossible to download flacs. I do not have anything in format flac, i see to come , what concerts in mp3 are broken? since he always download shows in mp3 of this forum and never download broken files , also you decide.
greetings and thanks
pd : if the quality show its bad : the quality of mp3 , flac ,wav or somethig else its always bad .(this is my opinion)

keep flac in flac ( its not a ac/dc song?) (its a joke)   

exploding boy
hello friens its great site

cult_hero

if you really want just quality then you should only share fm/sbd recordings... :smth019

cure4sale

Hello,
I don't think it's a clever decision. As Ceho wrote, just SDB or FM shows should have its place here. And talking quality, what about whose shows originally from tapes and digitalized with poor equipment? Flac files doesn't mean necessarily quality. If you mean quality, everyone should transfer their old stuff via a 24 bits / 96 Khz soundcard with nice preamps, do a bit of mastering with at least EQ, denoiser, declicker, multiband compression, limiter and dither and of course all the work has to be done on top audio monitors!
But I don't think everyone owns that kind of gear... Unless we all work in studios :lol:

RV

lostflower4

I'll just make a few comments here. Sure, there are lots of things that weren't transferred with the best gear, and some that won't sound good no matter what, etc. But why make them worse? Why make them impossible to remaster when they've been stripped down to a lossy format? Why spread around shows that have no trading value and just piss off the people who taped them in the first place?

And there are plenty of fantastic audience recordings out there. Some people seem to not believe it, but there are. ;)

japanesebaby

Quote from: cure4sale on October 26, 2006, 10:56:55
I don't think it's a clever decision. As Ceho wrote, just SDB or FM shows should have its place here. And talking quality, what about whose shows originally from tapes and digitalized with poor equipment? Flac files doesn't mean necessarily quality.

well i suppose most everyone of us has some old and far too generated cassette tapes lying around, but how about just using one's judgement on what is reasonable to transfer and share and what isn't? at least i have a good bunch of shows i've transferred myself at the beginning of the time from some old tapes and since i now know that there are far better copies available with little effort (and not just better transfers but also copies with clean lineage) then i see no reason starting to upload those. so that's why i don't quite see where the problem here would be.

but in some cases some pretty rough sounding version can be the only one currently available from this or that show. and what i don't get either is the way of thinking "this doesn't sound too good, so let's make it even worse by encoding it to some lossy format" - which kills all  possibilities for any possible future efforts to ever try and make it sound a little better, like said here already etc. 

and not all soundboards/FMs are simply gorgeous, i think that's pretty much a myth.
and however gorgeous they sometimes might be, even they get ruined when they get frozen to some low bitrates.

another point of view: if we chose to accept only SBD/FMs then a vast majority of shows would be completely out of our reach since no soundboard recordings exists on all shows... i wonder if that would be fine for everyone?
i'd say flexibility is the word: "allowing" SBDs/FMs only isn't very flexible, neither is converting to lossy formats since it is always an irreversible operation.

and in all, everyone's in any case free to choose what qualifies as 'good enough to listen to and enjoy' and everyone's free to choose what to download (be it here or somewhere else). because i cannot see this as a question of the sources of the shows but as a question of the ideal sharing format. those who want to pick up only SBDs/FMs can still do it, those who want to get a wider view can do it too. you're free to choose. but i just i cannot see how choosing to share in the best possible format would hurt either party, i can only see it as a common benefit: whatever you might prefer, why not try to get it in the best possible format? 
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

boneheadhaggar

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 26, 2006, 11:23:20
I'll just make a few comments here. Sure, there are lots of things that weren't transferred with the best gear, and some that won't sound good no matter what, etc. But why make them worse? Why make them impossible to remaster when they've been stripped down to a lossy format? Why spread around shows that have no trading value and just piss off the people who taped them in the first place?

And there are plenty of fantastic audience recordings out there. Some people seem to not believe it, but there are. ;)

couldn't agree more, when I said I dont download mp3 files anymore it is exactly for this reason, I have downloaded quite a few shows that aren't the best sounding quality wise, but if they are lossless at least it is better quality, than if it is a poor quality show that has been made even worse by being converted to mp3,

this is just my personal opinion and I dont object to people who want to download poor quality shows in mp3, I just prefer the best possible version of any show, and that means lossless files :smth020
its nice to be nice

splitmilk34

I just want everyone to know that this wasn't a decision that Caley or anyone else made on their own.  There was a legitimate discussion between Curefans staff & moderators about this issue - an ongoing discussion that lasted about 2 weeks, mind you.  Sharing only quality shows is going to benefit everyone.  Also, I'm sure we'll have plenty to talk about with the impending DVD release and the new album on it's way mid-2007.
Remember, Curefans.com is supposed to be a "meeting place for fans worldwide", not "a rest stop for passerbys looking for freebies".  That's all for now.  Thanks.

Chris
"... sleeping less every night"

dsanchez

One important reason to move to FLAC for me it's the fact that discussions were everyday less and less and many people just came here to download shows. What we want with this new "rule" is to encourage the people to DISCUSS more in the forum instead of just download and download  shows, which is NOT the main purpose of Curefans.com

I hope for your understanding  :smth023

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cure4sale

Quote from: dsanchez on October 26, 2006, 15:24:46
One important reason to move to FLAC for me it's the fact that discussions were everyday less and less and many people just came here to download shows. What we want with this new "rule" is to encourage the people to DISCUSS more in the forum instead of just download and download  shows, which is NOT the main purpose of Curefans.com

So, do you really think once every shows are in Flac people are gonna discuss more and more?
I agree with the fact that lossless quality files are what we're all looking for. But once again, a bad recording will remain a bad recording even if it's in Flac, Wav, Aif, or mp3. True that it will be worse in mp3. But what will you loose? Some top end (high frequencies) I suppose? Not a crime on a "bassy" recording. And what about spending 4 more time dowloading a show and taking 4 more space disk?

Instead of saying NO MORE MP3's, we better think about a rule for encoding. eg: Top quality shows, FM shows, master or 1st generation copies, SNB shows and recent gigs : All in Flac. Poor copies of very old stuff remains in mp3.
WHat do you think?