New guidelines for posting in the Audio section

Started by lostflower4, October 25, 2006, 20:35:05

Previous topic - Next topic

clindeguin

siempre que comprimes a mp3,pierdes calidad.tanto si es AUD o SBD..FM pierdes al comprimir.estoy de acuerdo en compartir solo FLAC.SHN ...degradar a lossy es perder calidad se mire por donde se mire.verdaderamente hay muchos conciertos que suenan mal desde el original pero si encima los comprimes a lossy peor todavia.respetemos a los señores que los han gravado y compartido en no lossy,si la gente comparte en flac y luego lo pasa a mp3 y ese lo convierte otra vez en Flac,esta fastidiandolo todo porque una vez comprimido a lossy no hay nada que hacer.no lossy please.
sounds always much better than compresed to mp3 :rocker

lostflower4

Quote from: Yves28 on November 02, 2006, 20:32:22
What I like in curefans.com is its openness. Since the beginning of this forum last year it was possible to find and speak about anything in the format you wanted.

The openness of the forum is not going away. You can still talk about mp3 all you want, but some of us won't want any part in it.  ;)

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 02, 2006, 19:18:37
Furthermore, there are shows that are simply not available in FLAC format. Would you rather not have the show at all, just because it's MP3?

Ok... We all know that mp3 shows just don't create themeselves. Yes, there a few (very few) exceptions where the only circulating version of something is in mp3. But this number is so insignificant that I don't think it should affect things here.

Quote from: monghi on November 02, 2006, 07:11:45
it´s a strange... you don´t think about fans who has low speed connection to internet... flac files are so big

Again, it's the quality over quantity issue here. I know my internet connection is far inferior to most everyone these days. On average, I can download about half of a FLAC show per day, and that's assuming I don't download anything else. I'm sure some of us here can download many, many times more than that. Now how come I'm not campaigning for mp3?

Quote from: cult_hero on November 02, 2006, 17:25:42
as far as i know a lossless copy does not exist. okay, the radio station and maybe robert should have it...

unfortunately it's not allowed anymore to post mp3 or ogg here.  :roll:

I think there should be reasonable exceptions made in these cases. Webcasts, and web-sourced items should be allowed, but ONLY if they are in their original format. The 2004 demos in ASF, for example. Unless you've got an in with the band, it's as good as it gets. But if you convert it to mp3, that's just further butchering an already somewhat low quality file. Common sense should be applied in these cases.

To sum up, we just want to share things in the best AVAILABLE quality. If you want to convert all your nice FLAC shows to mp3 for your personal enjoyment and listen to them on your iPod, I could care less. But why spread worthless garbage versions that have no trade value and just make the tapers angry and more restrictive?

I don't think many of us realize how many more GREAT versions of shows exist that aren't circulated much (or at all), simply because of the overpopulation of mp3 on the net.

We've already explained our reasons very clearly, so it may help to review these topics:

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3003.0.html

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3037.0.html

The Curefans staff

plainsong16

i'm completely ok with you,caley; as always!!!
is perfectly clear your message.is not possible only download in a forum.is beautiful to share helps and opininons specially!!!!!!!! :smth023

bluewater

Firstable, i agree with the new guidelines.

Second, some remarks:
Quality is not a question of the end format that a show is transferred to, quality
is a question of generation and gear. If someone has strong objections against
mp3 and lossy formats their point of view must be respected IF they share quality
stuff and ask for quality.
Quality is a question of technical knowledge and knowledge about trading and
encoding to digital formats.

If a show must be remastered or waits for remastering like most cure audience shows are then: no mp3 or no lossy files at all. And even then:

- only known generation and/or known lineage shows to exclude everything insane
like mp3->wav or mp3->flac

- only reliable persons or respected persons, respect and reliability can be calculated by the number of quality uploads by them, not by their views on subjective things like
their use or non-use, or their liking or non-liking of lossy formats like mp3. If
someone knows almost everything about lossy formats then it´s non-likely that he/she would share something insane like mp3->flac
Life's too short to listen to lossy music

japanesebaby

just because we've had a lot of new members lately, we'd like everyone new to read both this topic (and also this http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3046.0.html)

before using the download section.
thank you.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

mike65

FLAC is VERY VERY good especially for me  with a fast connection,The sound improves a great deal.
But as you all know A crappy recording will always be a crappy one!  :)

MAtT

How about if an MP3 version is better than any FLAC version you've found?

For example, I have FLAC copies of some Peel session tracks downloaded via this forum that are nowhere near the quality of my original MP3s of the same track, presumably because the source is better. Some of these MP3s were obtained on the web, and others recorded by me from tape, or direct from vinyl long before the FLAC fashion.

Sooo.. assuming I'm not gonna try and break the rules, do I convert the MP3 to FLAC and post here, or just not share these better-quality recordings?

Of course, that said, there may be batter quality FLACs that I just don't know about.

A minefield I tells ye.

Cure anomalies on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/infov0y

Twitter: https://twitter.com/infovoy_v2

Blog on free will and consciousness: http://informationvoyeur.wordpress.com/

japanesebaby

well i have to agree that i've come across such cases sometimes, some old mp3 version being better than some commonly circulated lossless copy. but one shouldn't think it really means that the mp3 in general wins over the flac: it's just a comparison between those two copies there. if the flac copy isn't great it still does't mean evry other flac copy out there isn't great either.
so the way i see it is that if one comes across an mp3 source that sounds better than some flac source you happen to have today, then it's a motivation to go out and try to find that source where the mp3s where sourced.
there are often many different lossless sources/many different transfers(!) for same shows out there. also, there are still a lot of people who haven't even digitalized their analog tapes. and so on. so the odds that a better flac source can be found are often still quite good (although sometimes depending on the concert in question). one just needs to do some searching.

the best way would be to compare available sources before uploading. i remember the old pptt tracker had this: when planning to share some show, several people uploaded samples from their copies and the best one was picked.
so perhaps in such a case as you're describing, it would be best to wait and look around, to find who has a better copy. or post the inferior source but ask people to come up with upgrades. at least this has worked quite well sometimes in places like dime. and upgrades are always welcomed by many collectors.

Quote from: MAtT on November 16, 2008, 15:07:19
Sooo.. assuming I'm not gonna try and break the rules, do I convert the MP3 to FLAC and post here, or just not share these better-quality recordings?

never never never: we have not banned mp3s just because they are mp3s but because they are lossy sources. and mp3 > flac would also be just as lossy (because lossy don't magically turn into lossless, just by switching into a favorable format. we're no alchemists - once lossy, always lossy).
converting mp3s to flac makes no sense whatsoever and such sources just piss off many traders out there, nothing more. :x

mp3s are allowed only if the master was recorded in mp3s (like some - although luckily quite few - people do these days). but of course that doesn't apply to stuff that's being sourced on analog tapes.

i'd be curious of which show(s) in particular you are referring to?

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MAtT

Surely what's important ultimately is the sound quality?

You'd never get this scenario with an official CD because all sources are the same, but if all available lossless copies of a concert recording are actually lower sound quality than an MP3 copy, because the MP3 came from a better original source, then surely the MP3 copy is preferable?

I have this scenario with several of the 81/82 Peel sessions, where I downloaded FLAC files via here and DaD, only to find that they are much lower quality sound than the MP3s I already have - because the sources were obviously not as good for the FLACs.

If I can't convert to and post the FLACs then can I post the MP3s?

I could have just converted them to FLAC and not told you they were originally MP3, and you'd never have known, but I'm honest... ;)
Cure anomalies on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/infov0y

Twitter: https://twitter.com/infovoy_v2

Blog on free will and consciousness: http://informationvoyeur.wordpress.com/

lostflower4

Yes, I have seen examples where an mp3 source of something sounds better than a different FLAC version.  But for the cases you're speaking of (old analog stuff), there surely must be a lossless copy of the same thing out there somewhere!

So just as was suggested above, take that as some motivation to track down the original source. If you don't want to or can't, fine. You can listen to your mp3s all you want, but you don't have a compelling enough case for us to allow it here. Peel Sessions are very common and I know of multiple versions floating around out there. Just because your x version sounds better than some y version, it doesn't necessarily mean your version is the best.  :!:

Quote from: MAtT on November 17, 2008, 19:21:11I could have just converted them to FLAC and not told you they were originally MP3, and you'd never have known, but I'm honest... ;)

Actually, we check all sources that are uploaded here. There are often tell-tale signs of mp3 lineage.

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 17, 2008, 19:52:02
Quote from: MAtT on November 17, 2008, 19:21:11I could have just converted them to FLAC and not told you they were originally MP3, and you'd never have known, but I'm honest... ;)

Actually, we check all sources that are uploaded here. There are often tell-tale signs of mp3 lineage.

and besides, what would be the point of "cheating" with some fake flacs anyway? i mean what would it accomplish?
a lot of traders/collectors out there would just end up being disappointed in the end, when they'd download (or even trade for it) and it would turn out to be lossy. and this would turn out sooner or later as people do check these things on many live music sharing/collecting sites (like on dime). lossy sources get reported and for a good reason.