No more mp3 shows from tomorrow

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?

Great, we don't need the mp3 garbage anymore
13 (14.3%)
Great, there are enough mp3 shows in this forum (thousands)
6 (6.6%)
Cool, it will stop some people from just using the forum just to grab shows
1 (1.1%)
Great, FLAC or other lossless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows
18 (19.8%)
Bad, cause there are still some people who like mp3
47 (51.6%)
I don't care. FLAC or MP3, it's the same stuff to me
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Cure

thanx david ;)

btw, can i convert the flac files 2 mp3 with a program?
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

dsanchez

I wrote some notes about how to play FLAC files here

http://www.curefans.com/index.php/topic,3038.0.html

Let us know if this is what you wanted.

:smth023

David.

Quote from: Cure on November 02, 2006, 17:32:02
thanx david ;)

btw, can i convert the flac files 2 mp3 with a program?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Oso Blanco

What is all this bureaucratic nonsense?

FLAC is great for soundboard/fm shows, but I don't really see the point in wasting precious bandwith and storage capacity on audience recordings. Who cares if an audience recording - which is low quality anyway - is MP3 or FLAC? What difference does it make?

Furthermore, there are shows that are simply not available in FLAC format. Would you rather not have the show at all, just because it's MP3?

I'd say, as long as the downloads are properly labelled (and that includes the information if it is sbd/fm or audience!), people should be allowed to upload anything they want to. The downloaders should be able to judge for themselves wheather or not it is worth downloading.
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

dsanchez

Every forum has certain rules and this is the first one we decided. So we ask for your cooperation and understanding in this one. Also, the pros and cos of FLAC shows have been discussed a lot in the past days. Let's see how the forum goes in this way and if it does not improve the thing (to have more discussions in the forum), I am -personally speaking- open to new discussions. It's not the end of the world guys, is just our first "rule". It's so hard?... there are literally THOUSANDS of mp3 shows already.

Cheers,

David.

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 02, 2006, 19:18:37

FLAC is great for soundboard/fm shows, but I don't really see the point in wasting precious bandwith and storage capacity on audience recordings. Who cares if an audience recording - which is low quality anyway - is MP3 or FLAC? What difference does it make?

Furthermore, there are shows that are simply not available in FLAC format. Would you rather not have the show at all, just because it's MP3?

I'd say, as long as the downloads are properly labelled (and that includes the information if it is sbd/fm or audience!), people should be allowed to upload anything they want to. The downloaders should be able to judge for themselves wheather or not it is worth downloading.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Yves28

Ow that sounds so bad to me ... I don't like the idea of restriction of anything. I am afraid that the forum would become very elistist and no more tolerant (to people enjoying mp3).

An exemple is the Plastic Passion torrent where it was almost forbidden to speak about mp3 (I know it's perhaps too much) and it became very intolerant ... (and that's why I never wanted to register on that site, if I would ever been allowed to ...).

What I like in curefans.com is its openness. Since the beginning of this forum last year it was possible to find and speak about anything in the format you wanted.

At the end of course I fully understand (and agree !) that you all want the quality before all. And I also prefer by far a good quality show. But I already downloaded flac shows that I was unable to listen to, the sound was so bad (don't remember the show, I think it was a 1981 one).

So I hope Curefans will not become too closed ... Why not do one section for FLAC shows and another for MP3 ?

Yves28

Quote from: Yves28 on November 02, 2006, 20:32:22
So I hope Curefans will not become too closed ... Why not do one section for FLAC shows and another for MP3 ?

Well here we go ... now we have a "child board" for mp3 shows ... Isn't it a bit denigrating ?!?  :(

japanesebaby

Quote from: Yves28 on November 02, 2006, 20:37:27

Well here we go ... now we have a "child board" for mp3 shows ... Isn't it a bit denigrating ?!?  :(

sorry, i'm not entirely sure what you mean by denigrating, if you mean the way of expression itself(?). in that case, there are also other "child boards" on the site - and for instance  in the technical section it's all the FLAC stuff that's placed there.  ;)
of course, sorry if misunderstood you.

m
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

interesting question considering that the impression here seems to be that only FM/soundboard are worth sharing/listening/even existing(?).
so, i suppose the question could also be: would you rather not have the show at all, just because it's an audience recording...?
;)

Oso Blanco

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 02, 2006, 21:48:45

would you rather not have the show at all, just because it's an audience recording...?

Exactly. I used to listen to audience recordings back then, when the resources on live material were quite limited. That was 15 years ago. Nowadays, there are so many soundboard/fm shows available that I can live without all those barely listenable audience recordings.

And the difference between sdb/fm and audience is much bigger than the difference between flac and mp3, so what's you point anyway? I'd take a mp3 soundboard recording over a flac audience recording any day!

As I said before ... I prefer flac for soundboard/fm shows, but does it really matter if an AUDIENCE recording is flac or mp3? I think mp3 is more than sufficient for that purpose.

It would be far more important that the downloads are labelled correctly as SOUNDBOARD/FM or AUDIENCE redordings. I really don't want to waste time downloading a whole show (possibly in flac, so it would take even longer), just to find out that it's just an audience recording.

Oso Blanco

An exemple is the Plastic Passion torrent where it was almost forbidden to speak about mp3 (I know it's perhaps too much) and it became very intolerant ... (and that's why I never wanted to register on that site, if I would ever been allowed to ...).

I did register there. I contributed three shows, and then I was banned because I dared to speak my mind.

crowbi_wan

Well, the people that record shows care.  The people that have uncirculated and uncommon shows care.  Fans that like to properly eq shows care.  Traders who are tired of getting lossy shows in trades when they were assured of getting lossless ones care.  And it seems the staff of Curefans cares.    

And some shows not being available in flac? :smth017  If a show was recorded it's available in flac.  

mp3 is still very much current.  However, technology is always moving forward.  Manufacturers of portable audio/media players are starting to add flac to the supported formats.  Hard Drives are getting bigger.  Our internet connections getting faster.  Shouldn't we move forward as well?    

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 02, 2006, 23:18:11
As I said before ... I prefer flac for soundboard/fm shows, but does it really matter if an AUDIENCE recording is flac or mp3? I think mp3 is more than sufficient for that purpose.

and as i said before, i've heard numerous gorgeous audience recordings and i've also heard FMs/soundboards that are just plain screwed up because the mix isn't good or they are even in wrong speed (like monterrey '92) or something like that.
so i personally don't agree with this generalization that audience recordings in general are pure crap.
and also, like said before, since everyone's free to choose what to download anyway, so what's the fuzz? if somebody isn't interested in audience recordings, then it's not a problem - he/she may choose to pass those. personally i am interested in audience recordings and then yes it does matter to me what the format is - mostly because ALL editing/remastering is impossible after it's condemned to mp3s/some other lossy format. that's the end of the story. if we'd have pristine soundboards from just about everything, maybe it wouldn't matter that much. but we don't. so there is a huge difference there.

and well, i don't want to come across harshly here but frankly it just always strikes me a bit odd, to hear people coming across a bit like "i think these shows are complete sh*t so you don't need to have it in any better format either". to put it frankly, if you don't care about audience recordings in general then why should your opinion be a guideline for those people who do care? please see that i'd just like to propse this question to you in a friendly manner here. because personally i don't see any problem if someone here doesn't like audience recordings, it's just fine. so like i said, what's the fuzz? if you think downloading an audience show is a waste of time, then you don't have to embark on it in the first, right? simple as that.
but i also might see what you are referring to here too, which is that all shows uploaded here would need much more detailed descriptions of the contents/sources/generation than has been put up so far - and on this i surely do agree. :!:
personally i'd think it should be actually compulsory, to provide all the information you have of your recordings and not just stash it up there without details. one cannot force everyone to be hugely interested in keeping detailed records of all the informattion concerning the shows one has, but that's exactly why people include little text files with that information with the uploads, to make it easy to pass the information! but still some people just immediately toss them  away delete them as useless - "not important for me". well, like i said, one cannot force people to get enthusiastic about it, but maybe they could consider that someone else out there might care. so i think people could think of it as good will towards other members the community, to try and keep the information intact.
because maybe i'm just as disappointed as you are when i sometimes download something and notice it's a poor quality generated-to-death audience recording - at least it would have helped a lot if i had been notified of that before i started downloading the damn thing. but this doesn't make me hate audience recording in general! it only makes me wish people would care to try and provide some information. and especially  since flac files sets are pretty large, a sample song would be a good option. i think this would really benefit everyone.

Janko

THERE IS REALLY NO EXCUSE FOR THIS ISSUE!

MP3 IS BETTER THAN FLAC

REASONS?!

1) MP3 IS FASTER FOR DOWNLOADING
2) MP3 IS EASIER FOR COLLECTING  (UP TO TEN BOOTS PER CD)
3) MP3 IS AFTER ALL - A FAIR QUALITY SOUNDING (FOR BOOT... , REMEMBER TAPES?!?!?!)

-----

SO?!

I DONT REALLY CARE, I HAVE (ALMOST) ALL I SEARCHED BY NOW!

BUT THERE IS LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF KIDS WITH BAD CONNECTIONS AND LITTLK KNOWLEDGE AND SMALL AMOUNT OF FRIENDS ONLINE!!!

AND THEY ALL NEED MP3 FILES TO GET STUFF QUICKLY!

SO, f*ck FLAC!
f*ck ALL LOSLESS FORMATS UR THEIR STUPID ASSES!

:rocker
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Janko on November 03, 2006, 00:32:39
MP3 IS AFTER ALL - A FAIR QUALITY SOUNDING (FOR BOOT... , REMEMBER TAPES?!?!?!)

So, you're satisfied with fair quality?  I'm not. 

dsanchez

Quote from: Janko on November 03, 2006, 00:32:39
AND THEY ALL NEED MP3 FILES TO GET STUFF QUICKLY!

and they will get in Curefans.com more than 6000 mp3 shows when they want.

that's not enough?

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo