The Cure's Saddest Song?

Started by Bloodflower, February 01, 2007, 02:45:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song do you consider to be saddest?

All Cats Are Grey
6 (3.5%)
The Funeral Party
7 (4.1%)
Faith
15 (8.7%)
Cold
5 (2.9%)
The Top
0 (0%)
Sinking
4 (2.3%)
One More Time
3 (1.7%)
A Thousand Hours
2 (1.2%)
Plainsong
1 (0.6%)
Pictures of You
8 (4.7%)
Closedown
1 (0.6%)
Last Dance
2 (1.2%)
The Same Deep Water As You
30 (17.4%)
Homesick
4 (2.3%)
Untitled
4 (2.3%)
Apart
8 (4.7%)
From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
2 (1.2%)
Trust
5 (2.9%)
To Wish Impossible Things
5 (2.9%)
Treasure
5 (2.9%)
Bare
2 (1.2%)
Out Of This World
2 (1.2%)
The Last Day of Summer
5 (2.9%)
There Is No If...
6 (3.5%)
The Loudest Sound
3 (1.7%)
Cut Here
3 (1.7%)
Going Nowhere
0 (0%)
Secrets
2 (1.2%)
M
1 (0.6%)
Charlotte Sometimes
2 (1.2%)
Other (Please state)
29 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 170

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: japanesebaby on February 06, 2007, 21:40:44
Quote from: [labyrinth] on February 06, 2007, 16:50:44
well
i see Cold as a DARK (very very dark) song but not as sad as "The Same Deep Water As You" i think it hasn't the sad atmosphere but has a sort of mournful atmosphere !

p.s.= Cold is one of my favourite song.

that's what i meant about 'sad songs' and 'songs about sad things' - because 'cold' isn't a sad song, and it isn't even a 'song about sad things'...
the same qualifies for songs like 'disintegration':

in my opinion there's nothing particularly "sad" in 'disintegration'. it's way too naked to be "sad". despite it's colorful word-imagery it still aims to be objective in a rather direct, naked way. it's someone spitting out some ugly unhappy things on you, a more or less merciless account of some unfortunate events, something that happened, something that was known to happen, that was unevitable...
"both of us knew how the end always is"
it's blatant, cold, cruel and definitely a description of a very unhappy situation, but that's is not the same as "sad"(?).
because are there really enough feelings of repentance and remorse in it, for it to qualify as "sad"?
what exactly does that song really make you feel and think? at least for me, the atmosphere is something completely different than that of sadness...

i think there are really much more flavours, colors, nuances to discuss in all of these songs, than just saying "these are sad songs"!  :!:

okay you got me there, but still you cant sit there and tell me that The Figurehead isnt sad?

japanesebaby

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on February 17, 2007, 18:42:33
Quote from: japanesebaby on February 06, 2007, 21:40:44
Quote from: [labyrinth] on February 06, 2007, 16:50:44
well
i see Cold as a DARK (very very dark) song but not as sad as "The Same Deep Water As You" i think it hasn't the sad atmosphere but has a sort of mournful atmosphere !

p.s.= Cold is one of my favourite song.

that's what i meant about 'sad songs' and 'songs about sad things' - because 'cold' isn't a sad song, and it isn't even a 'song about sad things'...
the same qualifies for songs like 'disintegration':

in my opinion there's nothing particularly "sad" in 'disintegration'. it's way too naked to be "sad". despite it's colorful word-imagery it still aims to be objective in a rather direct, naked way. it's someone spitting out some ugly unhappy things on you, a more or less merciless account of some unfortunate events, something that happened, something that was known to happen, that was unevitable...
"both of us knew how the end always is"
it's blatant, cold, cruel and definitely a description of a very unhappy situation, but that's is not the same as "sad"(?).
because are there really enough feelings of repentance and remorse in it, for it to qualify as "sad"?
what exactly does that song really make you feel and think? at least for me, the atmosphere is something completely different than that of sadness...

i think there are really much more flavours, colors, nuances to discuss in all of these songs, than just saying "these are sad songs"!  :!:

okay you got me there, but still you cant sit there and tell me that The Figurehead isnt sad?

what i mean is that there's a kaleidoscope of wonderful multi-colored songs here and everything's stashed under 'sad'. don't get me wrong, i'm not against the poll - i think the poll is ok and it's actually quite nice. but people come and go and say 'i think this is the saddest' 'no I think this is' 'for me, i think it's this one' - so everyone clearly interprets it a bit differently. there are different aspects of sad there - because clearly there's a great variety of songs here!
so what i'm trying to say is that it would be interesting to hear a couple of more words about each choice there than just 'i think this is the saddest'. because there are reasons behind the choices right?

and 'the figurehead', is it sad? there's sadness in there for sure. but if one really thinks about it, is 'sad' it the foremost adjective that comes to mind, and is it really what the song is about? to be sad, being sad, etc.? what is it about, really?
hmm,  i'd need to sit down and think!  ;)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

KingOfSomeIsland

I agree completely. Obviously Faith is sad for much different reasons than Cut Here or Last Dance.
As for The Figurehead I think its sad in probably the truest and barest sense of the word its mostly about a complete sense of hopelessness, a total depression that there is no visible end to.

lostflower4

Musically, I think Breathe is a really sad song.

Winter sounds really sad too...

Lady

What do you think about "A chain of flowers"? :roll:
I find it very sad...
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

angel

the figurehead, faith, this morning and the same deep water as you;
...nothing would ever be the same again...

ownzilla23

I can not believe "A Letter to Elise" is not listed and I can not believe I care enough to actually post this.

traveller03

Quote from: lacrima mosa on February 01, 2007, 09:39:02
i voted for apart... just makes me sad... i have to think about sad times in my life in 1993... so... it's not a sad song but makes me think of that time!

Me too.

PAOKCURE

If i must say which song makes me more sad, then I think "The Figurehead" is my choice.

What makes it the saddest for me? The sorrowful lyrics of hopelessness and self-despair and musically the guitar-bass "confrontation", that refers to the inner contest of our selves between our "self-protection" and our "self-destruction".

"Someone will listen at least for a short while..." loneliness, hopelessness, appeal
"I laughed in the mirror for the first time in a year..." despair, tragedy, living hell

Other possible saddest songs are "The funeral party", "The drowning man" and "Siamese twins"
I went away alone with nothing left but faith

cureterra

The same deep water as you

i voted for this song, it's very very sad!!!
Also, *to wish impossible things, *apart, *going nowhere and *trust are so sad... in my opinion these songs are almost as sad as the same water as you.

Quote from: lostflower4 on February 18, 2007, 23:09:44
Musically, I think Breathe is a really sad song.

Winter sounds really sad too...

Breathe too!
I think that WINTER isn't as sad as the others songs i wrote, but its a GREAT, GREAT, GREAAAAT song!!! incredible!!!
*** VANILLA SMILE ***

Aarna

I'd say Bloodflowers, due to melody and lyrics both
[img]http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0694e17544.jpg[/img]
www.eternal-aphelion.deviantart.com

hush

I voted "other"

For me it's, "Bloodflowers"

Soxguy

"How Beautiful You Are" from Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me - it brings me back to an old flames memories..kinda smarts sometimes. 
"...Ambition in the back of a black Car"

boneheadhaggar

The Funeral Party gets my vote, the saddest but also my favourite ever Cure song :cry: :)
its nice to be nice

themurderchair

Quote from: boneheadhaggar on August 09, 2007, 12:07:59
The Funeral Party gets my vote, the saddest but also my favourite ever Cure song :cry: :)

here here
i voted for funeral party too
the very first time i saw your face i thought of a song and quickly changed the tune. the very first time i touched your skin i thought of a story and rushed to reach the end too soon.