The Cure's Saddest Song?

Started by Bloodflower, February 01, 2007, 02:45:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song do you consider to be saddest?

All Cats Are Grey
6 (3.5%)
The Funeral Party
7 (4.1%)
Faith
15 (8.7%)
Cold
5 (2.9%)
The Top
0 (0%)
Sinking
4 (2.3%)
One More Time
3 (1.7%)
A Thousand Hours
2 (1.2%)
Plainsong
1 (0.6%)
Pictures of You
8 (4.7%)
Closedown
1 (0.6%)
Last Dance
2 (1.2%)
The Same Deep Water As You
30 (17.4%)
Homesick
4 (2.3%)
Untitled
4 (2.3%)
Apart
8 (4.7%)
From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
2 (1.2%)
Trust
5 (2.9%)
To Wish Impossible Things
5 (2.9%)
Treasure
5 (2.9%)
Bare
2 (1.2%)
Out Of This World
2 (1.2%)
The Last Day of Summer
5 (2.9%)
There Is No If...
6 (3.5%)
The Loudest Sound
3 (1.7%)
Cut Here
3 (1.7%)
Going Nowhere
0 (0%)
Secrets
2 (1.2%)
M
1 (0.6%)
Charlotte Sometimes
2 (1.2%)
Other (Please state)
29 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 170

music_feeds_my_soul12

what about the drowning man? Jupiter crash? underneath the stars?

ghanisbuli

I voted "other" for Bloodflowers.  But... in different moods, other things become sadder.

I can't wait to hear A Boy I Never Knew.

A Chain of Flowers is also very sad.  The Drowning Man... many, many, many...
I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once.

revolt

Quote from: ghanisbuli on June 22, 2008, 06:45:15
I voted "other" for Bloodflowers.  But... in different moods, other things become sadder.

Yeah, for instance, the fact that The Cure could never do a live version of 'Close to Me' that sounds as good as the studio version is kind of sad, in its own way...  :-D

frog_s

I voted for Other: Disintegration

For me this sounds like the lowest and most sad pont in a life you can reach. But I think A Boy I Never Knew would be a good choice too...Now I think about it, there are so many sad songs or at least that look sad to me....Great topic this!

Cheers

soda

Not sure if this has been posted, its a cover of Pictures of You used in a commercial in Australia.

www.picturesofyou.com.au

click watch commercial

Certainly adds strength to the sadness of the song.

Meghan

Thats so hard because about 80% of the Cure's stuff is depressing for one reason or another. Bloodflowers probably because it always makes me depressed. The Figurehead makes me really sad too.

skogn

A Thousand Hours is the song that get to me the most. I've cried too many times to that tune... so beautiful.

And Breath.. so sad and beautiful I think.. makes me cry. When Robert sings "be like you used to be" Im shivering in mental pain.

Can mention veeery many songs..

Well.. so hard to just choose one "saddest".. but A Thousand Hours is saddest indeed, "for me".. in my subjective opinion.

birdmad69

This is a really hard question to answer, because so many of the songs that are "sad" I feel are actually quite uplifting i.e. it's nice to know that somebody else out there has felt the same way and written a gorgeous song about it.  Some of their saddest, most bleakest tunes usually bring a smile to my face at the end of it.

Sinking is one that never fails to strike a chord in me, especially the In Orange version.

Tszyu

I'll go with The Funeral Party. Other songs that are high on the list.... The Figurehead (especially when the I can lose myself in Chinese art and American girls part comes in), Trust, Faith, Cold, A Thousand Hours.

Of those songs The Funeral Party, Trust and Cold has made me get tears in my eyes.
The memories fade
And leave her eyes
Still seeing worlds that never were

OnniHopeDream

Voted Bare more over personal reasons. All Cats Are Gray also depresses me, it feels so empty, like being trapped in a white world alone.

Edit: lol, I need to give this way more thought, this questions gonna drive me nuts XD

Some songs to me are actually happy and very beautiful on the list.

Well Robert says A Boy I Never Knew is the saddest song so maybe the true saddest songs are really on a personal level.
And every day that I let slide Is one more day I never try To break the world To make my fate And with every day that I let go It's one day less I never know If it's always Always too late...

lockjaw

Definitely The Same Deep Water As You.. :cry: and the most emotional is Faith..
   :( and the most angry is Shiver And Shake.. :smth011
..lost forever in a happy crowd..

shakethexdisease

Just about every song on Bloodflowers is pretty sad.

moutheyesheart

Definitly LAST DANCE. There is a deep, deep strangeness in that song i never heard anywhere else and it's so sad, so unlikly sad (at least to me), i don't know...
Разпадане

maluflower

Quote from: shakethexdisease on September 06, 2008, 18:09:10

I think that's the reason why I tend not to listen to is as much as the other albums, even though it is a favorite. It gets to me so easily. The Loudest Sound, Bloodflowers, Out of This World, The Last Day of Summer... all very beautiful.

Bare, Treasure, Home, Apart, All Cats are Grey, A Chain of Flowers, Siamese Twins, A Strange Day...

There was a time when I couldn't listen to The Exploding Boy without bursting into tears. It's not even a sad song, quite the opposite, which I always thought was a bit strange. But there it is.  :-D

revolt

Quote from: shakethexdisease on September 06, 2008, 18:09:10

"Maybe Someday" is not sad. And "Watching me Fall" is not particularly sad, either (well, unless you are a really "compulsive" Christian or something and interpret it as a declaration of fall from grace with God, or something like that).