The Cure's Saddest Song?

Started by Bloodflower, February 01, 2007, 02:45:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Which song do you consider to be saddest?

All Cats Are Grey
6 (3.5%)
The Funeral Party
7 (4.1%)
Faith
15 (8.7%)
Cold
5 (2.9%)
The Top
0 (0%)
Sinking
4 (2.3%)
One More Time
3 (1.7%)
A Thousand Hours
2 (1.2%)
Plainsong
1 (0.6%)
Pictures of You
8 (4.7%)
Closedown
1 (0.6%)
Last Dance
2 (1.2%)
The Same Deep Water As You
30 (17.4%)
Homesick
4 (2.3%)
Untitled
4 (2.3%)
Apart
8 (4.7%)
From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea
2 (1.2%)
Trust
5 (2.9%)
To Wish Impossible Things
5 (2.9%)
Treasure
5 (2.9%)
Bare
2 (1.2%)
Out Of This World
2 (1.2%)
The Last Day of Summer
5 (2.9%)
There Is No If...
6 (3.5%)
The Loudest Sound
3 (1.7%)
Cut Here
3 (1.7%)
Going Nowhere
0 (0%)
Secrets
2 (1.2%)
M
1 (0.6%)
Charlotte Sometimes
2 (1.2%)
Other (Please state)
29 (16.9%)

Total Members Voted: 170

charlotte sometimes

cold! so cold, dark, sad, .... :(

Janko

I Woted for:

The Last Day of Summer

It has to do with Roberts feeling of growing (too) old at that time.

It was perfect match!

Just like YOUR GOD IS FEAR  was in 2004
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Dillinger

heh, for the guy wondering and any others i was kidding when i said mint car that could well be their happiest song. i voted charlotte sometimes because of the music as much as the lyrics. could be cut here too. i havnt heard all cats are grey, dont have faith yet  :smth011

KingOfSomeIsland

Wow all the ones that i that i think are saddest arent even on the list.

My #1 saddest is definitely The Figurehead, followed closely by Disintegration and Bloodflowers... Howd you manage to forget those songs anyways!?

Plainsong, Closedown, Faith, and The Same Deep Water are good ones though

japanesebaby

Quote from: farquad92 on February 02, 2007, 19:52:49
heh, for the guy wondering
who said i was a guy?

Quote from: farquad92 on February 02, 2007, 19:52:49i havnt heard all cats are grey, dont have faith yet  :smth011

is it possible, not to have all cats or faith...??

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

tram71

If we're talking sad - in the dark way - I would have to say "Cold". Everything about that song is exactly what the title claims.

I would have voted for "Disintegration", but it's not on the list.

DontMoove

Quote from: airneck on February 02, 2007, 22:50:12
don't you think you have forgotten the saddest song over all...
I can't see it on the poll... :(

THE DROWNING MAN

I vote for the drowning man too... and a special mention to siamese twins... where are these songs in the poll ??? and what about begining a song/album with "it doesn't matter if we all die" ;)...
JP

japanesebaby

yes, lots of missing ones...
i suppose it would have been easier if the poll had been put together by first including ALL the cure songs and then just removing a couple of "slightly too happy" ones?  ;)

Bloodflower

And I intend to do just that, if I can find the time.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

splitmilk34

First off... YOU NEED TO GET FAITH RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!  Secondly, I decided that this poll is so difficult to vote for, it's like torture.  There are so many sad songs that have leveled us all differently, and at different times.  This is probably a harder question than "what's your favorite Cure song/album?"  ... I still say "Same Deep Water As You", but "The Loudest Sound" and "Siamese Twins" are f*cking epicly sad as well. (Is epicly even a word???)
"... sleeping less every night"

drowning

i voted faith.
never forget hearing the b-side version of charlotte sometimes the first time down in 1989.
so much emotion....
some deep water was very very close, but faith is my fav. sad cure song of all time

Lacrima_Mosa

'Same deep water as you' for me

Cold, Drowning man, Last day of summer and Disintegration all came in second very close behind.

[labyrinth]

well
i see Cold as a DARK (very very dark) song but not as sad as "The Same Deep Water As You" i think it hasn't the sad atmosphere but has a sort of mournful atmosphere !

p.s.= Cold is one of my favourite song.

japanesebaby

Quote from: [labyrinth] on February 06, 2007, 16:50:44
well
i see Cold as a DARK (very very dark) song but not as sad as "The Same Deep Water As You" i think it hasn't the sad atmosphere but has a sort of mournful atmosphere !

p.s.= Cold is one of my favourite song.

that's what i meant about 'sad songs' and 'songs about sad things' - because 'cold' isn't a sad song, and it isn't even a 'song about sad things'...
the same qualifies for songs like 'disintegration':

in my opinion there's nothing particularly "sad" in 'disintegration'. it's way too naked to be "sad". despite it's colorful word-imagery it still aims to be objective in a rather direct, naked way. it's someone spitting out some ugly unhappy things on you, a more or less merciless account of some unfortunate events, something that happened, something that was known to happen, that was unevitable...
"both of us knew how the end always is"
it's blatant, cold, cruel and definitely a description of a very unhappy situation, but that's is not the same as "sad"(?).
because are there really enough feelings of repentance and remorse in it, for it to qualify as "sad"?
what exactly does that song really make you feel and think? at least for me, the atmosphere is something completely different than that of sadness...

i think there are really much more flavours, colors, nuances to discuss in all of these songs, than just saying "these are sad songs"!  :!:

smitha

I voted for The Same Deep Water As You.
But Faith is also one of the saddest master-pieces made by the cure.