Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: robiola on June 30, 2008, 22:41:05

I've never been a huge fan (my husband is), but that song is fantastic. I spent a whole summer listening to it over and over again, obsessively.

isn't it! for me that one track alone puts him up there among the really great artists, even if he never wrote/recorded anything else than that.
one of albsolutely favorite tracks.

anyway, a montypythonesque turn...
i've been totally into these guys lately:

:eek:

currently: 'master's apprentices'  :rocker 
(i think i have it on repeat :oops:)

i never really got them earlier, although i tried a few times. but just went to see them on a festival last weekend and that was a revelation.
they played as the last band of a two-day festival and i was already on the verge of hypothermia since the weather was just complete crap and we'd been standing in wind and rain for two days, with temperatures barely 15 C (which is/was seriously unnaturally autumn-ish, considering it's only the beginning of august!).
but nevermind the weather, these guys really saved the day. :smth035

i've been listening practically nothing but them for two days now. :eek:

ps. by the way great sound on the opeth albums: the sleeve notes day "produced by steven wilson", that explains it. :smth023 old bob should really do all in his power to hire that guy...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Well well, Opeth! Good to see. I was just listening to Ghost Reveries earlier today.  :twisted:

A friend is at present feeding me all the Kate Bush albums I haven't heard (pretty much all of them). Haven't been able to get Kate's voice out of my head for a while, all I'm hearing is "aaaAAAll YOURS, BABOOSHKA BABOOSHKA" and so forth...Pleasant, but right now I'm taking a break:

Valeu by Tania Maria

Just happened to find it...smooooth...
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on August 06, 2008, 01:10:33
Well well, Opeth! Good to see. I was just listening to Ghost Reveries earlier today.  :twisted:

coincidentally, another great swedish group i was just listening to:

COVENANT

currently: stalker
coming up: figurehead  :smth023

(the club version/club remix is even more of a killer)

Sussex

Joy Division - Dead Souls

Awesome!
"Thick As Shit"

japanesebaby

mötley crüe: girls, girls, girls

(oops?)

:P

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

robiola

@Janko
This thread always gives me good ideas... You last for example -- makes me realize I haven't listened to that album in ages, and it's time I picked it up again. :smth020

A lot of Pink Floyd fans don't like this record much, but I think it's one of their best. Thanks for reminding me of it! :D

japanesebaby

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 06, 2008, 19:51:51

mötley crüe: girls, girls, girls

(oops?)

:P

seriously though, mick mars IS good guitarist. i do like his riffing.

currently, inspired by another thread:

as an old led zep fan, i genuinely love this album, works like a charm.
one of the few really brilliant ROCK albums to come out of UK in the 90's.

'breaking into heaven'  :smth035

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR9F12CVIM

revolt

Quote from: robiola on August 06, 2008, 22:39:41
@Janko
This thread always gives me good ideas... You last for example -- makes me realize I haven't listened to that album in ages, and it's time I picked it up again. :smth020

A lot of Pink Floyd fans don't like this record much, but I think it's one of their best. Thanks for reminding me of it! :D

Agreed there. Although probably I don't like the Floyd enough to be called a fan. Anyway, except for 'Wish You Were Here', I think I like more or less most of their stuff until 'The Final Cut'. Although even in that period they could be really boring, sometimes. By the way, my favourite Floyd track is probably "Atom Heart Mother", that 23 minute rock+classical+avantgarde thing from 1970. It could be called "pretentious", "over-ambitious" or something like that, but I think they do an admirable job there.. A truly haunting song.

japanesebaby

talking about pink floyd, does anyone have this?:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3511313/Oh-By-the-Way/Product.html

i'd be mainly curious to know if the verison in the boxset are the same remastered editions as the ones that have been released individually, or something else?
it's just that i'm pretty hesitant to buy ANY emastered editions anymore, because of the fear of getting some volume destroyed crap - i'd rather stick to old vinyls that upgrade (read: downgrade) them for badly remastered cd editions.

not that pink floyd should be the first band out there with whom one should fear utter remastering catastrophy. one would like to believe it's well done job. but i've lost my faith in trusting the band's name & (old) reputation in this matter (mainly thanks to the cure's recent releases).
so any info would be welcome.

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 07, 2008, 12:18:06

i'd be mainly curious to know if the verison in the boxset are the same remastered editions as the ones that have been released individually, or something else?
it's just that i'm pretty hesitant to buy ANY emastered editions anymore, because of the fear of getting some volume destroyed crap - i'd rather stick to old vinyls that upgrade (read: downgrade) them for badly remastered cd editions.

not that pink floyd should be the first band out there with whom one should fear utter remastering catastrophy. one would like to believe it's well done job. but i've lost my faith in trusting the band's name & (old) reputation in this matter (mainly thanks to the cure's recent releases).

The question is: do you REALLY need a box like that? You'll be getting "Momentary Lapse" and "Division bell" with it... :roll:

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 12:35:31

The question is: do you REALLY need a box like that? You'll be getting "Momentary Lapse" and "Division bell" with it... :roll:

well in some cases i do like the idea of 'complete works': to have everything in one box in case you might need it, instead of having piles of individual discs/vinyls.
and perhaps with some bands i think it's reasonable to own the complete output just for some self-educational purposes/for one's personal archives, even though part of it was not in one's top 5 (or top 50, or top -50...).

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on August 07, 2008, 12:45:07
Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 12:35:31

well in some cases i do like the idea of 'complete works': to have everything in one box in case you might need it, instead of having piles of individual discs/vinyls.
and perhaps with some bands i think it's reasonable to own the complete output just for some self-educational purposes/for one's personal archives, even though part of it was not in one's top 5 (or top 50, or top -50...).

OK, I can understand that practical kind of argument. That way, if there is a fire in the house, for instance, you can just grab the box and run away with it, instead of having to run though the whole collection to decide which 3 albums are your favourites... ;) :-D

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on August 07, 2008, 12:55:28
That way, if there is a fire in the house, for instance, you can just grab the box and run away with it, instead of having to run though the whole collection to decide which 3 albums are your favourites... ;) :-D

:lol:

Janko

Quote from: robiola on August 06, 2008, 22:39:41
@Janko

ANIMALS is a very weak album.

It was made from cca. 1972 outtakes, and it just doesn't work musically or conceptually...

The band was in a bad form and the record is rightfully forgotten!

PS

MOMENTARY LAPSE OD REASON and DIVISION BELL are masterpieces!

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason