2008.05.09 Fairfax - Patriot Center (USA)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:09:39

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 10, 2008, 16:11:31
I didn't realize that being an obnoxious, knock-everybody-over type crowd was really such a plus? 

well, not exactly what i meant.
it was just an observation, sorry...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

[labyrinth]

hmm,
actually that's not to blame anyone or to say this is better and this is worse.
i think jb was just underlining the differencies between this two different types of attending a show.

and if i had to express an opinion, if i would be in a band playing in front of people, i'd like more to see them moving with some stuff (that's why friday i'm in love and a lot of other songs are still played) than to see them still.
obviuosly, in other songs "enjoying the music" is the most important thing (in the atmospheric ones, for instance)
shame i don't play in front of 15000 people!!!  :-D

and lostflower4, this kind of setlist is right for that purpose, a lot of pop songs that should make you jump,or at least move...
instead it's not the setlist maybe for a fan, who loves the other side of the band....and which would like to simply enjoy the music.

but we all know, the cure have always had the two sides.
and i'm unhappy with some choices,too (especially about the fact they're too static with the set)

just my two cents.

lostflower4

Quote from: [labyrinth] on May 10, 2008, 17:05:15
and lostflower4, this kind of setlist is right for that purpose, a lot of pop songs who should make you jump,or at least move...

And apparently it doesn't seem to be working. So c'mon Robert, start changing the damn setlist up a bit.  8)

[labyrinth]

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 10, 2008, 17:08:33
So c'mon Robert, start changing the damn setlist up a bit.  8)

you know, i agree with this.
even though i won't attend any of the NorthAmerican shows, i really hope they would change a bit! (the three encores always with the same order in the last 3 years are becoming boring, even if there are GREAT-INCREDIBLY PERFORMED-songs)

bbernardini

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 10, 2008, 12:35:25

anyway i can't help but thinking, what's wrong with the US audience? they stand and stare like statues, even the crowd on the very front is pretty immovable... :?

I have to admit, I much prefer that to the nearly non-stop screaming of "I LOVE YOU ROBERT" at the Bloodflowers show in Camden, NJ. :)

crowbi_wan

Quote from: j on May 10, 2008, 08:03:22
Hey guys...overall a really good show.  Very surprising considering it was the first show of the tour and they generally "play it safe" (a crowbi_wan quote) by playing the singles.

It was a pretty safe show.  I was really thinking they'd go with Open/End and have a few songs like Fascination Street and A Night Like This in the set.  Plainsong, Prayers For Rain, and A Strange Day, while not a surprise, is a great way to start a gig.  Glad to know they didn't shy away from that.  Including Shake Dog Shake on opening night is also something I didn't expect and would consider that a good sign of things to come, even if it means that they just play that one more.    

[labyrinth]

bbernardini,

i suppose that's not the kind of things jb was thinking about !

;)

ahh, and welcome !  :-D

lostflower4

Quote from: bbernardini on May 10, 2008, 17:16:55

anyway i can't help but thinking, what's wrong with the US audience? they stand and stare like statues, even the crowd on the very front is pretty immovable... :?

I have to admit, I much prefer that to the nearly non-stop screaming of "I LOVE YOU ROBERT" at the Bloodflowers show in Camden, NJ. :)

My point exactly.

japanesebaby

Quote from: bbernardini on May 10, 2008, 17:16:55

well, i never said i'd want the other extreme, some kind of screaming jumping pushing riot: i mean, at least in my opinion there can always be something in between these two(?).

anyway, like said, i was simply pointing out the difference in the crowd behavior. besides, there are big differences in the crowds in different parts of europe. in the south they tend to be wilder and louder - not something i always hugely enjoy, by the way. scandinavian and northern german crowds are usually much more reserved and held back. but even in stockholm i think i saw much more movement and raised hands etc. during pop songs/singles. so i was simply paying attention to the fact that the band was actually playing one of their probably biggest and widely known songs ('friday...') and even then people look surprisingly much like mall people (in jeff words). so i simply found that something that caught my eye when i was watching the video. i was expecting a bit more reaction, considering which song it was.
anyway, no need for anyone to get so defensive: i don't think i was saying "US crowds suck!" or something like that. please note that i wasn't even saying european crowds are somehow "better" - i just said that i found that "weird" (as it depends on what you're used to yourself). so it was just a personal observation, nothing more.
but nevermind.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

anyway i can't help but thinking, what's wrong with the US audience? they stand and stare like statues, even the crowd on the very front is pretty immovable...

It's really a pitty. I don't think the guys enjoy too much with people watching them like statues (after seeing all the excitement in Europe). As I said last year, is time they make the big step and go further to south later: Peru, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina; if they want to find a more passionate crowd.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on May 10, 2008, 19:38:36It's really a pitty. I don't think the guys enjoy too much with people watching them like statues (after seeing all the excitement in Europe).

I think the reaction IN BETWEEN songs is what's most important to the band. So let's see/hear what that's like before we make too many judgments.  :smth023

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 10, 2008, 19:49:15
I think the reaction IN BETWEEN songs is what's most important to the band. So let's see/hear what that's like before we make too many judgments.  :smth023

Dude, I think Robert enjoy more enthusiastic audiences. I remember very clear in Paris how happy he was all the time, but in Oberhausen he was not sooo excited (because people was so static there). I really do think Robert likes more when people shows this kind of passion.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cure_kitty

Thanks to j for all of his coverage from the Fairfax show and to all who have posted a review.  :smth023

Looks like it was a decent show & hopefully everyone had a great time!  From the youtube clip the crowd does seem a bit lifeless but I think as the tour moves on it will get better. Maybe the fans in the Fairfax area are more reserved than lets say LA or NYC???  I've been to several concerts for various different bands both in the UK & USA and it really depends on the age of the audience, who is performing and the type of people attending that makes a crowed more into the music than other places.  Typically I think US fans get a bit more crazy but I'm only saying that from my past experiences from shows I've attended in both countries.   

Even though there were no real surprises with the set-list from last night, I'm really looking forward to seeing them tonight.  I'd like to hear more B-side stuff but hey I'll he happy with anything they played.  It's been a long time since I last saw the Cure so I really don't are what they play are long as they sound good.  :smth020

crowbi_wan

I agree that Robert enjoys the more enthusiastic crowds.  Citing another example from Paris, the crowd singing the keyboard part during Play For Today.  Robert acknowledged this and played the chords after the song was over so the crowd could continue singing.  That was pretty sweet  :smth023  

Other little notable things you see more in Europe, the hands in the sky during FTEOTDGS, answering back with "hello" during Wrong Number, clapping along during A Forest.  Just a few fan interactions that make the show more lively.  And really, there's nothing wrong with moving some during the show.  Pogoing during Push is down right fun!  Now, the "I LOVE YOU ROBERT!" calls and such blow.  There was plenty of that in Europe and will be in the US.  Singing (badly) and continuous talking are two of my pet peeves.      

DJscribbles

david -WHOA!! talk about crowd energy! they need to put that type of audience display on dvd!
i noticed that in the latin/hispanic countries such as Mexico - the audience is very responsive, and they are PASSIONATE. when i saw them at download festival, i have to admit, much of the crowd was stand and watch (and thats in california). we dont get that arms flailing, massive crowd jumping.. *is very jealous*. but there were some cure fans  that were dancing - around the aisles going from row to row! (most big venues are using seats on the floor) i dont think security managed to apprehend them though. i did dance on my seat the whole time i saw them, even if i was the only one in my section and looked like an idiot. it was my first concert, and although the atmostphere felt lively and beautiful, i couldnt help but feel just slightly dissapointed after watching so much footage of huge crowd participation. i wanted to hear the roar of the crowd as they sang along..
i really hope that near the end of the month theyll be doing some refreshing with the setlist.
i find this annoying - random screams from fans DURING the middle of a song, especially if the scream is near to you. i can barely hear myself talk during the show, so talking from others is hard to hear
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true