2008.05.10 Philadelphia - Wachovia Spectrum (USA)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Simon with his Russian hat

Many more pics will be added to the gallery in the next day or so.... :smth023

crowbi_wan

Thanks for the pic, j.

Nice hat!  I was half expecting something like Elmer Fudd wears  :P

j

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 11, 2008, 08:05:19
spectrum was only half-full?

I don't think it was half full.  As they do for alot of concert (and AHL hockey games) they hang a black curtain over the third level.  No seats were sold there.  The floor was full, from what I saw, most of the first level of the bowl was full, and the sides of the second level were well occupied.  It was by no means a sell out, but to say the place was only half full gives the wrong impression.

Keep in mind that this is the first time in 11 years they have played in Philadelphia (Tower Theatre 1997) and the first time in 12 tears that they have played the Spectrum. 

Quoteoh, so they allowed cameras tonight as well?

There was a sign at the door stating that professional cameras and cameras with detachable lenses were not allowed.  It said something about personal and disposable cameras being allowed.  Another thing that was not allowed (per the sign) were signs.

bbernardini

Quote from: j on May 11, 2008, 16:59:25

There was a sign at the door stating that professional cameras and cameras with detachable lenses were not allowed.  It said something about personal and disposable cameras being allowed.  Another thing that was not allowed (per the sign) were signs.

If I recall correctly, signs, flowers and weapons were all grouped together in one sentence among the things that weren't allowed. (Somebody got flowers in anyway.)

I also suspect that the rescheduling of the show resulted in a number of empty seats.

bbernardini

Anybody familiar enough with the work of 65daysofstatic to know what their setlist was?

Descent

japanesebaby

Quote from: bbernardini on May 11, 2008, 17:03:43
Another thing that was not allowed (per the sign) were signs.

no signs? that's got to be one of the silliest restriction that i've heard about. :lol:

(or if i'd be a narcistic person i might think that maybe robert got tired of that certain 'other voices' sign in europe and decided that a "no sing whatsoever!" policy is simply so much better! anyway it came from the venue of course, not from the band.)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

I was thinking the same thing, especially since BC had offered the Euro Other Voices sign to me.  Here I was, walking into the venue with a camera in my pocket and recording equipment down my pants...but I can't bring in a sign?

By the way....bad recording night.  I barely made the show on time, then had my batteries die in the middle of the set :smth011

PArealtor

Im not saying that it being half full is a good or bad thing... Just an observation thats all.  I was a little curious as to why they would be playing the spectrum to begin with. Like some have said the cure havent been in Philly in a long time and when the show was originally scheduled they didnt even have a new album out.  

Either way the show was great and Im thankful I was able to see them in my town.   Just wish they would have played a few more of my fav's

btw.. there were tons of people taking photos with digital cameras and phones and security didnt seem to care. 

mahood

Quote from: bbernardini on May 11, 2008, 17:03:43
If I recall correctly, signs, flowers and weapons were all grouped together in one sentence among the things that weren't allowed.

"signs, flowers and weapons" ? you're joking, right ?
if not, well, i'm speechless. although one could find a certain poetry in this.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

japanesebaby

Quote from: mahood on May 11, 2008, 19:50:28
if not, well, i'm speechless. although one could find a certain poetry in this.

:lol:

and sorry this is slightly off-topic but someone should put together a small gallery of photos taken solely from all these "no this or that in this venue!" signs around the world - there are simply so silly things listed there sometimes. it might make some funny reading.

(sorry to hear about the batteries j. :?)

lostflower4

Quote from: j on May 11, 2008, 19:33:32
Here I was, walking into the venue with a camera in my pocket and recording equipment down my pants...but I can't bring in a sign?

Is it time to create a section on here, "How to sneak signs into a concert"?

Maybe you could fold it in half and tape it to your back?  :roll:

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 11, 2008, 20:01:50and sorry this is slightly off-topic but someone should put together a small gallery of photos taken solely from all these "no this or that in this venue!" signs around the world - there are simply so silly things listed there sometimes. it might make some funny reading.

But maybe it's forbidden to take pictures of these signs?  :D

crowbi_wan

Quote from: j on May 11, 2008, 19:33:32
I was thinking the same thing, especially since BC had offered the Euro Other Voices sign to me. 

Oh, that Other Voices will be making some appearances out west.  Hmmm...what to write on the blank side?  Hanging Garden, Unstuck, Big Hand, Torture, Forever, Want...Hey You...Secrets...Give Me It?  :)  I think it's best to stick with something we know this line-up has played.      

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 11, 2008, 20:04:37
Quote from: japanesebaby on May 11, 2008, 20:01:50and sorry this is slightly off-topic but someone should put together a small gallery of photos taken solely from all these "no this or that in this venue!" signs around the world - there are simply so silly things listed there sometimes. it might make some funny reading.

But maybe it's forbidden to take pictures of these signs?  :D

right. i can imagine a sign outside some venue saying:
"professional cameras, video and audio equipment, guns, weapons and explosives and everything whatsoever (including flowers and signs) allowed! photographing and/or filming this sign is however not allowed and will lead to immediate confiscation of your photographic equipment as well as get you prosecuted in the court of law."  :shock:

(ok sorry to veer off)

Descent

You all don't understand, a piece of cardboard can be very dangerous if thrown on stage.  :twisted:

Sorry about the batteries, j. But taping the show wasn't the main reason for you to be there right ? So it's not tragic. ;)