Documentary To Celebrate The Cure's 30th

Started by monghi, July 19, 2007, 21:45:00

Previous topic - Next topic

monghi

i never said i would stay to the end

Bloodflower

Odd thread title. I would've gone with Documentary to Celebrate The Cure's 30th, but that's just me.

I think this is excellent news, and I'm excited to hear about the Disintegration and Wish remasters. And this documentary idea is fantastic!

(SOMEONE's been watching The Beatles Anthology!)
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

dsanchez

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 19, 2007, 21:52:44
Odd thread title. I would've gone with Documentary to Celebrate The Cure's 30th, but that's just me.

I just change for the right title. At first, I thought it was some Spam! :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: Bloodflower on July 19, 2007, 21:52:44Odd thread title. I would've gone with Documentary to Celebrate The Cure's 30th, but that's just me.

I don't quite get it either. For a moment I thought monghi might have turned into a spammer. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the info. Sounds interesting.

rjl

From the article:

QuoteHe says "Disintegration" will feature a bonus disc of new remixes, and that he's pushing for "Wish" to include a new 5.1 audio mix.

As cool as a 5.1 mix would be (if it turns out okay... the only 5.1 discs I have heard had surround in mind when they were recorded... such as the last couple of Flaming Lips discs), I hope that this doesn't take the place of a demos & rarities disc.

Same with Disintegration and the mixes.

The KMKMKM bonus disc, one of the ones that I was eagerly awaiting since the TIB remaster, sucked, IMO. I was hoping that there were some lost songs (ala "Winter") hiding somewhere, or at least some of those neat demos, such as the ones one the THotD and Top bonus discs, which turned into multiple songs.

Descent

Good news about the documentary. I hope there'll be no more of those numerous crappy unofficial bio dvds (w/ interviews from journalists)... but anything can happen in two years. :lol:

Disintegration new mixes ? Huummm. New old mixes ? :P (The album was first mixed in December 1988, then mixed again -the definitive mix- in January 89 ). I thought there was also about 2 or 3 unreleased songs from that session. We'll see.  :rocker

iwannashagsimon

A tour in 2007, remasters in 2008 and a documentary in 2009.  The next few years will be very busy for Cure fans! :D

strange_day

As perfect as Disintegration is, we have to face that the 80's were never very kind when it came to production. I think Robert means the snare drum wont be the loudest thing on the whole record  ;)

Its all news, which is great, theyre not exactly slowing down in 'old-age' are they?

Im glad.

8)

lostflower4

Quote from: strange_day on July 20, 2007, 02:54:39
As perfect as Disintegration is, we have to face that the 80's were never very kind when it came to production. I think Robert means the snare drum wont be the loudest thing on the whole

I disagree... Albums from the '80s in general, sound superior to the crap that's produced today. I can't be the only one to notice that the sound quality of The Cure's albums went down the tube after Wish.

Loud drums are the coolest! :rocker

rodney

Actually, I think the sound quality of Disintegration and Wish sound pretty bad, especially the former.

themurderchair

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on July 20, 2007, 00:38:40
A tour in 2007, remasters in 2008 and a documentary in 2009.  The next few years will be very busy for Cure fans! :D

:-D yay

and i kinda agree with lostflower4, i preferred the sound on disintegration to their more recent stuff
im not saying it was better but for whatever reason i prefer it
the very first time i saw your face i thought of a song and quickly changed the tune. the very first time i touched your skin i thought of a story and rushed to reach the end too soon.

Tof

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 20, 2007, 04:13:13
As perfect as Disintegration is, we have to face that the 80's were never very kind when it came to production. I think Robert means the snare drum wont be the loudest thing on the whole

I disagree... Albums from the '80s in general, sound superior to the crap that's produced today. I can't be the only one to notice that the sound quality of The Cure's albums went down the tube after Wish.

Agree with you Caley !!!
Tof

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on July 20, 2007, 04:13:13

i'd agree and agree. in general i also prefer lots of the production in the 80s, especially compared to what was done most of the 90s. it's sligthly better today but then again it's completely ruined today by the horrible amounts of digital distortion that one gets today: most everything is horribly crushed and the amounts of clipping are just insane these days - which leaves me with nothing than to think that most studio "professionals" are simply deaf and/or stupid these days. that never happened in the 80s - when studio "pros" were still pros and had a pair of ears?

you know it always makes me laugh today when people fuss about all these super-hi fi sound surround systems and hi-res versions  and whatever - because what does it all mean when the sound source itself often has already been utterly destroyed before it even left the studio? it doesn't mean a thing what sort of super-hi fi system one uses to play one's super-hi-res cds/dvds when they are bound to be distorted anyway, thanks to some studio idiots (="professionals").

then again, i do also agree about the snare drum on 'disintegration': if there ever was anything on that record that took me a while to get used to then it was that bloody snare drum!

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 21, 2007, 13:47:17
you know it always makes me laugh today when people fuss about all these super-hi fi sound surround systems and hi-res versions  and whatever - because what does it all mean when the sound source itself often has already been utterly destroyed before it even left the studio? it doesn't mean a thing what sort of super-hi fi system one uses to play one's super-hi-res cds/dvds when they are bound to be distorted anyway, thanks to some studio idiots (="professionals").

No crap. I think the very best recordings ever were made in the late '80s/early '90s. It's when technology was really getting to a high point. A lot of people were still using analog reel-to-reel too, but that's not a bad thing. The only reason most people don't use it anymore is because digital is significantly cheaper. And you know, cheaper is always better. :smth011

And the loudness war hadn't really begun then either. As for now, I don't think a lot of these engineers have a choice. The record labels basically say, "Master it as loud as possible or lose your job." Even The Cure's music since 1996 has suffered this problem. I mean, just open up a song from Wish in an audio editor, and you'll see that the levels are medium loud at best. It really goes a long way in showing the shift in production values as the '90s progressed.

A sad state of affairs these days. Probably has a lot to with why I can't really get much into much newer music at all.

"Enjoy this stunning hi-fi DVD â€" with overcompressed, lossy audio."  :oops:

strange_day

Its funny, i actually agree with what youre all saying, nearly every record produced today is ruined by over-producing it, with all the compressed sounds etc. It sounds very sterile and too polished, so i guess some stuff from the 80s had more life in it, and they used whole takes of instrumental tracks a lot more.

Just using Disintegration as an example really, although prefer that to the mixes of Wild Mood Swings, which let some of the good tracks down.

I actually think the worst sounding Cure album is KMKMKM, that does sound really dated and slightly over-produced.

Im glad to hear that Robert doesnt want to air brush the tracks on this record, because that already means its going to sound more 'real' and have a bit of an edge to it. Hes also back to producing/mixing so it should turn out well.