Author Topic: Documentary To Celebrate The Cure's 30th  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Dillinger

• Coolfan
    • myspace
Re: Documentary To Celebrate The Cure's 30th
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 18:52:08 »
im glad to see he wants tim pope involved

Offline mralphabet

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 14:27:27 »
As perfect as Disintegration is, we have to face that the 80's were never very kind when it came to production. I think Robert means the snare drum wont be the loudest thing on the whole

I disagree... Albums from the '80s in general, sound superior to the crap that's produced today. I can't be the only one to notice that the sound quality of The Cure's albums went down the tube after Wish.

Loud drums are the coolest! :rocker

Definitely, and in general the quality of The Cure's music has been lower since WMS onwards.

Offline Descent

• Newfan
    • http://www.impressionofsounds.com
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 00:51:07 »
So the dvd documentary replaces the book about the band Robert Smith was supposed to write. I guess there'll never be a follow-up to "10 imaginary years".

Offline Bloodflower

• Curefan
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 09:46:12 »
Definitely, and in general the quality of The Cure's music has been lower since WMS onwards.

Prove it.

To be on-topic, however, I'm glad to hear about this DVD, though I hope it doesn't replace the book Robert's been writing (though it definitely seems to), because I think there's a lot you can put in a book that you can't as easily commit to film. Either way, I'm looking forward to this.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

Offline [labyrinth]

• Curefan Master
  • whiskey for the holy ghost
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 12:28:32 »

i disagree....
Bloodflowers? is there in Bloodflowers a lack of quality? don't think so.

Offline mralphabet

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 15:00:57 »

i disagree....
Bloodflowers? is there in Bloodflowers a lack of quality? don't think so.

Prove it.

Obviously mine is just a personal opinion and I don't expect everybody to agree. I think Bloodflowers is a good album, but not that good. I really like The Last Day of Summer and the title track is also musically very good (I don't like the lyrics too much though), but in general I was disappointed by that album, as well as by WMS (although Want, Trap and Bare + It used to be me are great songs) and by The Cure (here the exceptions are Labyrinth, Before Three, TG&B and Going Nowhere).

Again, just personal opinions. However, it might be not a chance that they haven't been playing much material from Bloodflowers and WMS in their concerts lately (I'm not talking only about the current line-up). It seems to me that the strong parts of their concerts are based on material from their previous albums.

Offline Bloodflower

• Curefan
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 20:44:37 »
Robert mentioned in that MTV2 interview from last year - on Subterranean, I think - that he felt Bloodflowers was the song that was most representative of The Cure. I don't know why they don't play as much of their last three albums, but Robert doesn't seem to think it's a lack of quality.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.