2008.05.25 George - The Gorge Amphitheatre 'The Gorge Sasquatch! Festival' (USA)

Started by dsanchez, September 13, 2007, 16:43:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Colours

Quote from: Mad Bob RJS on May 26, 2008, 03:57:51
Is anyone do the live coverage of Sasquatch! Festival?
???

I hope so..

:smth026

It sounds like there is a virtual correspondent on the ground at the Gorge for coverage.  However, as Craig has noted at the Chain Of Flowers site, getting a wireless signal out in that area of the Columbia River gorge is not always easy.  Patience.
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

nevyn

First 7 songs:

Underneath the sky, Prayers for rain, A night like this, The end of the world, Lovesong, To wish impossible things, Pictures of you

punx_chix

just posted some pictures in the gallery..not great. but there something!
...and i run around hysterical
in dead persistent gloom...

carycameron

Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 15, 2008, 19:33:03
They're only promised 2 1/2 hours, so it's going to be a shorter set.  I'm sure the pop stuff will remain and the edgier stuff will get tossed out.  Hopefully, they'll surprise me.  They do play Faith quite a bit in Washington ('96, '97, '04) and ending with the Faith, A Forest encore like they did at The Gorge during The Swing Tour would be a fantastic finish to close out the night. 

It seems not much being said about this show..
Sounds like the crowd wasn't much into it  and Robert's voice was still faltering.
How would you rate it compared to the other shows?

crowbi_wan

Quote from: carycameron on June 11, 2008, 03:58:29
Quote from: crowbi_wan on May 15, 2008, 19:33:03
They're only promised 2 1/2 hours, so it's going to be a shorter set.  I'm sure the pop stuff will remain and the edgier stuff will get tossed out.  Hopefully, they'll surprise me.  They do play Faith quite a bit in Washington ('96, '97, '04) and ending with the Faith, A Forest encore like they did at The Gorge during The Swing Tour would be a fantastic finish to close out the night. 

It seems not much being said about this show..
Sounds like the crowd wasn't much into it  and Robert's voice was still faltering.
How would you rate it compared to the other shows?

For me, the expectations weren't that high being that it was a festival and not a Cure show.  It certainly wasn't a Cure crowd.  Just look at some footage (if there is any on youtube) of Michael Frenti and Spearhead, who were on just a few hours before The Cure.  Thank goodness Death Cab bridged the gap and got people in the right mind set for what was about to come. 

Opening with Underneath The Stars was great.  That one was just a perfect opener in that venue on that night.  Some of you guys have been to The Gorge and know that it isn't just some ordinary amphitheatre.  With the dark skies and stars overhead, it couldn't have been sweeter.  As expected, lots of singles followed.  Since we knew about the shorter time frame to work worth I was a bit surprised to still get so many songs in the mainset.  They easily could have left out Elise, Shake Dog, and one or two others.  Glad they didn't, though.  And I almost thought Deep Green Sea had been removed, but it was just played late in the set.

As for the crowd, after every group of hits, more people would leave.  It had been a long day for most, the beer stopped flowing by the time The Cure hit the stage, and again, this wasn't a Cure crowd.  There were small sections in the pit that really seemed to be enjoying the show.  Not sure about anything behind me.  I looking straight ahead all night.

The performance was nice.  Obviously, Robert was still having vocal troubles.  He did sound worse than in Morrison and WVC.  At the beginning he sounded pretty good.  His voice just began to deteriorate as the show progressed.  Musically, they were great and really seemed to be enjoying themselves.  At one point Robert even joked about bringing a whole table of beers out for so that his crew wouldn't have to keep bringing them out.  Ah, RS in festival mode  :smth030

When they came out and started E1 with A Forest i was sure they'd follow it up with Faith.  A nice dreamy version to tuck away the campers into their sleeping bags.  But no, they just left, so that was disappointing.  E2 was pretty standard other than the keyboardist from The Dandy Warhols was dancing and playing tambourine on stage during BDC.  Ha, take that Roger!  You've been replaced  :lol:  No E3, but then a pretty jam packed festival set.

For the casual concertgoer or even the average fan that doesn't go to multiple shows, I'd say it was a pretty decent gig (as long as you get past Robert's voice).  Like I said, I wasn't expecting much and did enjoy hearing the new stuff, Elise, and Porl.  Glad I went, but even more glad I went to more shows.           

Dane67

Fairly new Cure fan and I thought it was a great show...couldn't tell his voice wasn't up to par. 

Dane67

Does anyone from the area know how many times they have played in Washington state?  If so...where have they played?

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Dane67 on June 13, 2008, 07:21:21
Does anyone from the area know how many times they have played in Washington state?  If so...where have they played?

1984-10-23 Seattle http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1984-10-23.php

1985-10-03 Seattle http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1985-10-03.php

1987-07-10 Seattle http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1987-07-10.php

1992-07-01 Seattle http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1992-07-01.php (my first Cure gig)

1996-08-03 George  http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1996-08-03.php

1997-12-10 Seattle http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/1997-12-10.php

2004-08-31 Everett http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/2004-08-31.php

2008-05-25 George  http://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/2008-05-25.php

I'm still puzzled as to why we didn't get shows during the Prayer and Dream tours  :?  But hey, '97 and '04 were two of the better shows during those years.

ghanisbuli

I was there, front in center.  One of the excited sections of the pit.  I'm uploading pictures to the gallery, but I have a ton and it's kind of slow.

I thought the concert was great, except for poor Robert's vocal troubles.  I could tell that he was really unhappy about it.  It lead for another side of The Cure, though, so it was interesting.

My memory is all a blur.  It's like it didn't happen sometimes.  A dream.

And yeah, I did have to stand there all day to keep my place.  I couldn't have done it by myself--my dad defended me and my 12 year old sister with all of his strength!
I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once.

ghanisbuli

Oh, and PS, I hear that the whole concert is available here?  That's definitely something I need in my life.  I haven't posted in this place very much (and hadn't for yeeears), and I guess there's a point system or something?  If someone could help my confusion, that'd be great.  <3
I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: ghanisbuli on June 14, 2008, 05:41:41
Oh, and PS, I hear that the whole concert is available here?  That's definitely something I need in my life.  I haven't posted in this place very much (and hadn't for yeeears), and I guess there's a point system or something?  If someone could help my confusion, that'd be great.  <3

And I see you've found your way to the download section.  Not so tough now was it?  ;)

ghanisbuli

Haha, not tough at all, just confusing when you don't know what's up!

My dad saw the link on A Chain of Flowers, and came here looking for it.  I knew that he'd never find it since he's not a member.  Ridiculously, I had trouble finding the link (at first), but I knew that it must be posted here since this is kinda the place for great downloads (he couldn't remember the name of the forum, I couldn't find the link... haha).

BrightLight

Ok I must be an idiot but where can I find a recording of this show?  I really want to get one since it was my first Cure show and I have wanted to see them for yyyeeeeeaaaaarrrrrssssss.  Thanks to any one who can direct me to it.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: BrightLight on June 16, 2008, 01:44:26
Ok I must be an idiot but where can I find a recording of this show?  I really want to get one since it was my first Cure show and I have wanted to see them for yyyeeeeeaaaaarrrrrssssss.  Thanks to any one who can direct me to it.

I would suggest you do a little more searching, maybe get involved in a few of the threads first.  ;)  Soon enough you will find your way to the audio section of curefans where you will be able to download  my recording of George  :smth020

btw, welcome to curefans.

BrightLight

Quote from: crowbi_wan on June 16, 2008, 02:12:57
Quote from: BrightLight on June 16, 2008, 01:44:26

I would suggest you do a little more searching, maybe get involved in a few of the threads first.  ;)  Soon enough you will find your way to the audio section of curefans where you will be able to download  my recording of George  :smth020

btw, welcome to curefans.
Thanks for the welcome.  And after searching around I realized I have to make a certain amount of posts to get into the audio section.  Thanks for the tip.