Please Project

Started by splitmilk34, October 08, 2007, 14:30:02

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 09, 2007, 23:50:36
Think about a song like All I Want where Robert is singing about...well, doing the deed from behind.   :oops:  "I love what you do to my hips." seems rather tame when comparing the two.     

Yeah, but All I Want is more metaphorical.

Thinking about an old, chubby man's hips against a backdrop of blissfully happy music doesn't really do it for me, sorry. :oops:

Bloodflower

I think it's funny -- and I think it's meant to be. The lyrics, I mean.

Robert, I'm sure, is acutely aware of his age, of his looks, and of his weight. I think it's very obviously meant to be a joke song. Something to laugh along with -- people (not just here) seem to be seeing this as an indication that the new album is going to all be stupid, half-baked songs, without an ounce of seriousness.

It's like people have forgotten entirely the distinction between a pop song single and something dirgy like Disintegration. Just because a pop song's got dumb lyrics (and I very much LIKE these dumb lyrics!) doesn't mean that Robert's forgotten how to string songwords together.

And that's my rant....
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

splitmilk34

I love live songs, I really do... but it's not fair to judge a song until you've heard the recorded studio version.  I happen to think "Never Enough" is a good studio song but absolutely loathe it live.  I will wait to pass judgment until the album/song is released.
"... sleeping less every night"

Bloodflower

(And besides, in regards to the raunchiness: Isn't Just Like Heaven about cunnilingus? Or am I the only one who thinks that...?)

strange_day

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 09, 2007, 19:07:02
indeed, trouble would be the word.  :smth100 if this is the new overall direction, maybe they should consider going for instrumentals only?
i find that hip thing quite embarrassing, somehow.  :oops:

Maybe, you can tell Robert's right in that hes struggling to come up with words here, nice tune though.......

an instrumental album would be great, with Roberts vocals like in Tape, that'd be awesome. Like Mogwai meets The Cure......  8)

Bloodflower

Quote from: strange_day on October 10, 2007, 01:07:19

Maybe, you can tell Robert's right in that hes struggling to come up with words here, nice tune though.......

an instrumental album would be great, with Roberts vocals like in Tape, that'd be awesome. Like Mogwai meets The Cure......  8)

Now that's a good idea, I think. I love Robert's lyrics (mostly), but Tape might be his best vocal performance. It really, well, works. Well, it's either Tape or The Drowning Man.

I wonder if Tape-ish things are what Robert means when he talks about there being instrumentals on the album?

*Is curious...*

Steve

Nowt wrong with hips, lips & oral pleasure (IMHO) :twisted:
The song's growing on me actually.
If the album is going to be in the same vein as KMKMKM, then to prejudge on the strength of this one song is a little hasty.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

scatcat

Quote from: Steve on October 10, 2007, 08:54:45
Nowt wrong with hips, lips & oral pleasure (IMHO) :twisted:
The song's growing on me actually.
If the album is going to be in the same vein as KMKMKM, then to prejudge on the strength of this one song is a little hasty.

i agree!  :!:  uhum.. with all of the above.. :oops:

and it is fun to wait....... :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Steve

Why all the  :oops: :oops:.
Everyone does it don't they?  ;)
Cheers
Steve

scatcat

Quote from: Steve on October 10, 2007, 09:03:57

drought over here..... thirsty though :( :( :(  just gotta bide my time and keep myself busy and waiting... for the new album :smth023

:smth020
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

yeah maybe but it's a different thing whether it's an interesting/relevant subject for a song. (or a hugely interesting topic for conversation either if you ask me.)
i mean, everyone goes to the toilet too but don't exactly feel the need to write songs about it (at least most people don't, thankfully).
like mentioned above, chubby 50-year-old man's hips isn't my top choice of imagery against a backdrop of happy music. and maybe it's meant to be sarcastic, but even then no it just still doesn't do it for me somehow.
so... here's some more:  :oops: :oops:

and no, i'm not judging the album according to this song (because there is no album to judge yet!). so let's see and wait and hope for better, sure. but since there was all that talk about robert's writer's block earlier this year, i couldn't/can't help paying extra attention to words here... and well it just didn't really manage to convince me differently either: at the moment it looks like the writer's block was/is for real. :?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

electric_glare

I actually prefer ocular pleasure, but that's a completely different story for a completely different time. ;)

Steve

Cheers
Steve

DJFreekSh0w

Birds do it, bees do it, maybe even trees do it! So, why don't we do it, baby!? :P

I kinda like the new song, can't get a real feel for it until I hear the album version. Then I'll know for sure. I have only listened to the boot once. I will try not to listen anymore until it's out on the album. Looks like it's getting close, album should be done soon (one hopes)! :D

mikmcc

I dont mind it, I try not to think too much about lyrics for this kind of track

Musically it reminds me of faster versions of A letter to elise and then what follows is like Just like Heaven.

come to think of it, at the speed it is played it reminds me very much of the remixes of those two songs

considering it is the first time played live, and possibly first time out of studio, it is pretty good. Might be that they have nailed the track but still working on lyrics.

maybe they check Curefans.com to see what the fans think.

with some promo it could be a good single (especially with the hips line)

Id be happy just to hear the Cure on the radio - extremely rare here in south oz, I didnt even hear them on radio when they played here (over two months ago now, boo hoo)