Rolling Stone Magazine- New album info

Started by j, April 04, 2008, 21:42:37

Previous topic - Next topic

j

From COF:

From the new issue of Rolling Stone #1050 4/17/08:

The Cure Title TBD 6/3
With thirty-three songs recorded for the Cure's thirteenth album, the band is still figuring out which tracks to submit to the label.

"There's some very, very downbeat seven-minute songs and some very upbeat ones," singer Robert Smith says. "One voice is saying, 'Put out the most commercial-sounding CD and draw people into the Cure world again.' There's another voice saying, 'f*ck that, let's just put out the doom and gloom.'"

At least one tune will almost definitely make the cut: "Sleep When I'm Dead," a recently unearthed demo from 1985's The Head On The Door. "It sounds genuinely 1980's," Smith says. "I don't think that's a bad thing. It's part of our heritage."

lostflower4

Quote from: j on April 04, 2008, 21:42:37
From COF:

The Cure Title TBD 6/3
With thirty-three songs recorded for the Cure's thirteenth album, the band is still figuring out which tracks to submit to the label.

"There's some very, very downbeat seven-minute songs and some very upbeat ones," singer Robert Smith says. "One voice is saying, 'Put out the most commercial-sounding CD and draw people into the Cure world again.' There's another voice saying, 'f*ck that, let's just put out the doom and gloom.'"

Just put out a double album, Robert.  8)

nevyn

japanesebaby

why on earth is he even pondering something like that (and in public)? he's been talking about a double album anyway for ages now so come on...
somebody :smth100 him, just release the damn thing already...!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

And he really thinks that "upbeat" songs are going to suddenly win a bunch of new fans?

Unless they can come up with something as fresh and "with the times" as Wish seemed to be in 1992, they're never going to reach anywhere near that level of commercial success.

And well, releasing Freak Show as a single is not going to get radio airplay. I'm actually one of the "freaks" who kind of like this song, but I can tell when something's not going to be commercially successful.

What was the last "hit" they had anyway? Mint Car?  I heard that on the radio a few times, but it never really went anywhere.

Just release a damn double album and make your fans happy. That's the best success you can have anymore.

nevyn

he is doing his strategy :D

To get people anticipate that this CD will be magnificent, made them wait and wait, so that they buy it even if it will be "The Cure vol. 2" :P

punx_chix

...and i run around hysterical
in dead persistent gloom...

rubcure

Release a double album... or one by one (VOL.1 and VOL.2) But release it now Robert!!!!  :smth020

P.S. I still waiting...  :smth028
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

Bloodflower

Quote from: lostflower4 on April 04, 2008, 23:46:57
And he really thinks that "upbeat" songs are going to suddenly win a bunch of new fans?

Unless they can come up with something as fresh and "with the times" as Wish seemed to be in 1992, they're never going to reach anywhere near that level of commercial success.

And well, releasing Freak Show as a single is not going to get radio airplay. I'm actually one of the "freaks" who kind of like this song, but I can tell when something's not going to be commercially successful.

What was the last "hit" they had anyway? Mint Car?  I heard that on the radio a few times, but it never really went anywhere.

Just release a damn double album and make your fans happy. That's the best success you can have anymore.

I'd say The End of the World. I have no idea if it got much MTV play, but I can clearly remember the video (and I've looked it up maybe once on YouTube) and remember that it was all over the 'modern rock' radio station out here. If not The End of the World, I think Wrong Number was their last hit (#20 on the charts, I think? Around there?). I think I remember reading somewhere that it charted higher than the WMS singles.

Anyone have actual numbers?
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

japanesebaby

imo 'the end of the world' got surprisingly lot of airplay/videoplay but without seeing any numbers i think i dare to say it's nowhere near a "hit". it's nowhere near the success that the 'wish' singles had, those were the last real hits i think.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 05, 2008, 09:30:09
imo 'the end of the world' got surprisingly lot of airplay/videoplay but without seeing any numbers i think i dare to say it's nowhere near a "hit". it's nowhere near the success that the 'wish' singles had, those were the last real hits i think.

I'd argue for the term's relativity; after all, there are bands advertising on some music channel somewhere about their new album, featuring their hit single.

What is required of a single to which the term hit is attached? Top 200? Top 40?
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

scatcat

Quote from: lostflower4 on April 04, 2008, 22:30:43
From COF:

The Cure Title TBD 6/3

Just put out a double album, Robert.  8)

i gotta agree here.. internal struggle means, something is not right.. FORGET the COMMERCIAL-SOUNDING ALBUM!! please Robert.

Quote from: lostflower4 on April 04, 2008, 23:46:57

here.. i have something to say.. 'mint car' is not on my fav. list...
double album sounds great( as has been suggested) maybe commercial-stuff- on  one side
then 'curism' on the other,.. (who was it who coined this phrase.. hmmmm...)

- maybe  Robert..please all fans, old and new - although i'd prefer no poppy-stuff. 'freak show' i have still not grown to like, the other 2 new played songs in the latest tour i have really grown to love.. .

BRING ON THE DOOM AND GLOOM ..  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

frog_s

Totally agree, gloom & doom for me, IT'S ABOUT TIME

But I have to say, it really wouldn't surpise me if they'd bring out the commercial side (first).

rodney

Wrong Number got tons of airplay here, but I doubt it charted on anything other than the modern rock charts. 

Really though, just put it all out.  Don't debate it.  Just turn the stupid thing in.

boneheadhaggar

doom and gloom for me too, but I agree that it should be a double cd release, one cd poppy the other for the real Cure fans :smth023
its nice to be nice