Great interview from the winner of a Radio Station Contest in Philly!

Started by cure_kitty, May 13, 2008, 20:03:26

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Quote from: Poe on May 16, 2008, 11:38:20And I DID manage to download the interview, if you still want it boo, but I don't have time to upload it right now. Soon! Be right back!

It's already available here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5024.0.html

Poe

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 16, 2008, 12:03:24

It's already available here:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,5024.0.html

Well alright then! Guess I'm not allowed to help!

Anyway, thanks for the links (in your other post).  :smth023
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

patmccay

Hi there everyone,
I hadn't logged in since my original thank-you to cure_kitty. I'm happy to see all the responses! Yes, it was really something special, the interview. I was pretty terrified all the way up to the interview and then thoroughly shaken through the first half of the first question. In the middle of asking that first question I realized I needed to loosen up so I made a conscious effort to kind of take a breath, and not *read* the question, and to just settle down. :) And from there on out it was smooth sailing. I'd never interviewed anyone before, but it kind of 'clicked' as he was answering the first question, and I realized that Robert is very easy interview - very forthcoming. His answers relaxed me because with each answer he provided something new to talk about and to ask about.
And I was glad he said he likes "The Top" as well. Because although it was an album that had to grow on me, it became one of my absolute favorites, in large part due to all the quirks that had put me off at the start all those years ago. And I was really surprised to learn that "Burn" was just Boris and Robert! What an amazing song to come out of such a strange moment in Cure history. As Robert said, much like "The Top."
As for the 'solo material' question, I think Robert answered the half of that question I was a little less interested in. Of course I DID want to know if there were solo songs "in the vault" but the main thing I wanted to understand was, if he does have material that he doesn't consider to be "The Cure," songs that he would want out under his OWN name, why is that? The Cure IS Robert Smith in large part. So, how does he make the distinction? Is it a genre difference? Like, are the songs JAZZ? I'm just wondering why some songs would be held aside. But instead, I think he took it as me asking, "you mentioned a solo album in 1989, how come I haven't heard one yet?" Which is a far more boring question than what I intended. :)
But again, it was a very amazing moment in time for me. When it stopped feeling like an interview and started feeling like I was just sitting down having a conversation with Robert Smith it was the most surreal thing imaginable. A day I'd long assumed I would never see.

Thanks for the kind words about my band, Cure_Kitty. We really appreciate it :)
If anyone else is interested here are the links: http://www.myspace.com/thesilencekit  http://www.thesilencekit.com
I think you'll definitely notice our influences...
And its an amazing thought to think of Robert listening to it, but even if he doesn't, it just felt great to give him the CDs and thank him.

-Pat

Beachy

Congratulations Pat on winning the contest and doing such a fantastic job conducting the interview. You kept your composure so well that at first I thought you were a professional until I found out the details about your winning that contest. Thanks for exploring The Top with RS, maybe you'll get him thinking about playing some of it during the tour. I think this band could blow the roof of the venue with Give Me It. :)

Purple Orchid

Congratulations PatMcCay for winning the contest and for conducting the interview so well, nice questions.
Thanks also to Caley!
Yes, I would buy too 16 Hrs of the Cure, and well, I'm one of those who still use dial-up at home.
And I hope the filmed show planned for release is Dallas Starplex Amphitheatre September 15 1989, there were cameras for the screens so that could be the source. Of course, I wouldn't put up any stakes...
So remasters until next year...I'm getting used to this...there might be a 35 anniversary DVD right?
...when suddenly, behind a tree, I appear
strange mixture of the one-before-the-last wanderer
and first stowaway on the trip to Venus.
Half melon on the head and the stripes of the shirt painted on the skin,
but only you see me...

ghanisbuli

GREAT interview Pat (even though I've only seen half of it because it's loading really slowly for some reason).  I can't even imagine.  My voice would've been so shaky, and my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth.  And, if I ever do get to meet Robert Smith, I probably won't have thought about what to talk about ahead of time and will just stare blankly, in shock.  It's great that the radio station gave you this opportunity as well.
I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once.

Boogs

Good job, Pat! It's definitely one of the best interviews with Robert I've ever seen. He seems to be more relaxed and less reluctant to speak than ever. The interview is more hmmm.. intimate ? cheers
<f*ck parental advisory :>