NIN

Started by japanesebaby, May 30, 2008, 19:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on May 30, 2008, 11:08:55
Quote from: Steve on May 27, 2008, 19:42:33
Grabbed this a couple of weeks back.

With a little help from meee, I believe.  :smth082

Anyhow, this record made me realize I should listen more to this band. Suggestions? (I'm lazy, I know  :P)

first rule: you need to catch them live. :rocker

secondly: if you haven't gotten started with any early NIN stuff 'pretty hate machine', 'downward spiral', 'broken'... then it's about time! (all else has fared time well toher than 'pretty hate machine' which today can sound a bit like it was made on someone's home casio, but whatever: 'down in it' still kicks ass. :smth023 although even better so live  :smth023 :smth023
'fragile' has always been my favorite although most NIN fans don't seem to agree.
it's a bit moodier, more atmospheric, sprawling album. always liked it a lot for personal reasons.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on May 30, 2008, 19:39:24
first rule: you need to catch them live. :rocker

secondly: if you haven't gotten started with any early NIN stuff 'pretty hate machine', 'downward spiral', 'broken'... then it's about time! (all else has fared time well toher than 'pretty hate machine' which today can sound a bit like it was made on someone's home casio, but whatever: 'down in it' still kicks ass. :smth023 although even better so live  :smth023 :smth023
'fragile' has always been my favorite although most NIN fans don't seem to agree.
it's a bit moodier, more atmospheric, sprawling album. always liked it a lot for personal reasons.

Mmm, good rules. I'll go get busy listening right away. Thanks a million.

And there'll be a European tour after the US one in July and August, surely. See you there.  :smth047
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on May 30, 2008, 23:08:48
And there'll be a European tour after the US one in July and August, surely. See you there.  :smth047

i truly hope so. last year there was a strong rumour going around that trent will break up his live band and stop playing live gigs altogether, going back to electronic/industrial stuff only. i'm glad that this was not the case as they've been pretty wicked live during the past few years. :smth077

the last time i saw them live was a great experience: the second best crowd action i've seen/been to. although the security ruined some of the fun: they were obviously some amateurs who had never been working in a festival security (other than some tango festival for 60-year-olds or something) and had never seen any real audience action. and in mid-concert they simply decided to "invade"the front parts of the audience  in great numbers, started to hold some guys down (literally speaking) and told the rest of us that if we don't stop that constant mass pogoing we'll be all throw out - come on, they expect people just stand and stare during 'march of the pigs'? what a bunch of sissies.  :roll: (and to top that, the organizers even managed to screw up the final fireworks which is legendary of course. anyway. i wonder what trent was thinking. ;-P)
anyway, that was the last of my "out of mind" audience experience. i've settled down since for good... but it's a nice memory, still.  :rocker

(ps. split the thread)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on May 30, 2008, 11:08:55
Anyhow, this record made me realize I should listen more to this band. Suggestions? (I'm lazy, I know  :P)

ps. i'd suggest you check out their live dvds too.
some clips:

big come down

and here's how i saw it in 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSKK0Rys7S4 (crap sound but great atmosphere)

right where it belongs
only

(simple but effective screen work, as always - very NIN :smth023)

head like a hole :rocker

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 12:32:23
they've been pretty wicked live during the past few years. :smth077

That is decidedly the case, judging from the vids. Hehe. Such raw energy from both the band and the audience, love it, with or without the guitar and speaker bashing... :roll: Effective screen work, yup. Legendary fireworks? Why not. :smth074

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 13:19:33
big come down

"The URL contained a malformed video ID." Aaaww...guess I'll have to look it up on my own then!  :P The one from the Helsinki concert worked though, thanks. Ah, Trent, The Passionate One. Looking forward to checking out your other vids by the way (The Cure, Muse), oh yes...  :smth023

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on June 01, 2008, 15:19:26
Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 12:32:23
they've been pretty wicked live during the past few years. :smth077

That is decidedly the case, judging from the vids. Hehe. Such raw energy from both the band and the audience, love it, with or without the guitar and speaker bashing... :roll: Effective screen work, yup. Legendary fireworks? Why not. :smth074

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 13:19:33
big come down

"The URL contained a malformed video ID." Aaaww...guess I'll have to look it up on my own then!  :P The one from the Helsinki concert worked though, thanks. Ah, Trent, The Passionate One. Looking forward to checking out your other vids by the way (The Cure, Muse), oh yes...  :smth023

oops sorry, careless copy/pasting from me - here's the correct url:

big come down

here's my video of that legendary fireworks screw-up. screw-ups were in the air that night since i forgot the quality setting of my camera in the lowest possible setting and all my vids from that night are SO crappy. :blush: :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWFYoKogMYI

anyway  :-D

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 17:17:24

big come down

Love this song, thanks.

Ha, fireworks during Hurt...my Swedish friend (hey, a Swede can dream!)... By the way, I first heard Hurt when Johnny Cash covered it, quite like it:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Speaking of covers...

Nine Inch Nails covers Joy Division's Dead Souls

Also on the soundtrack to The Crow, along with our dear old Burn, yeah!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on June 03, 2008, 11:08:43
Speaking of covers...

they played 'dead souls' in finland last time i saw them :rocker
talking about JD, this one's good:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3982.0.html

my Swedish friend (hey, a Swede can dream!)...

haha. anyway talking about swedish, one of the last summer tour shirts had a "nice" misprint on it.
just look closely at the dates in the back: they played helsinki in 2008-07-05... and then two days later again? no, actually 2008-08-07 was stockholm hovet but obviously somebody in the shirt design section or whateveritmightbecalled messed it all up and wrote helsinki twice.
hehe i bet the swedes were cursing that they were left out ot the shirt completely - yet we didn't mind being there twice! :twisted: :smth002

japanesebaby

by the way has anyone checked out the new NIN forum on www.nin.com ? the new site/forums/etc. has been up for a while now.
i've just been wondering if i'm the only one who seems to get all lost over there in the forum...
(an old dog learns slowly?)

Whiskers

I love Nine Inch Nails; they're one of my top 5 favorite bands. I just saw them September 5th in Oakland: great show.
If you're just getting into them, I recommend The Downward Spiral, Broken, and downloading their new album, The Slip, for free on their website so you can get a taste of their new material

crowbi_wan

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 02, 2009, 03:42:03
http://www.nin.com/pub/strobelight/

:smth081 :smth082 :smth005

produced by timbaland! :P

Your files will arrive as windows media files playable on quite a few players with your name embedded all over them just in case you lose them.

:smth043

jbud1980

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 01, 2008, 17:17:24

big come down

Love this song, thanks.

Ha, fireworks during Hurt...my Swedish friend (hey, a Swede can dream!)... By the way, I first heard Hurt when Johnny Cash covered it, quite like it:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Speaking of covers...

Also on the soundtrack to The Crow, along with our dear old Burn, yeah!

U should check out the song, "the perfect drug" off the lost highway soundtrack. one of my favorite songs, yet i do not think it has ever been played live.

lostflower4

That's great, especially the pic of Trent wearing those shades. It just looks really funny for some reason.  :smth042

And damn, that strobe light pic is the most intense computer image I've ever seen!  :shock:

I really wonder if anyone actually thought this was real.  :oops:

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on April 03, 2009, 14:13:22

That's great, especially the pic of Trent wearing those shades. It just looks really funny for some reason.  :smth042

that's true, it's just really funny.  :lol:

but damn, i really would have liked to hear this collaboration:

2. everybody's doing it (featuring chris martin, jay-z AND bono)

:-P