Giant Squid Audio Lab Omnidirectional Powered Stereo Mic question

Started by dsanchez, June 04, 2008, 19:47:08

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Guys, yesterday I've got these good mics (so finally I will left out the  Sony mics ECM-DS70P I had!).

However I do have a problem. As you know, I am using an iRiver iHP-120. I've got the  mics together with a battery box.

If I connect the mics directly to my iRiver, it works fine (and the recording is pretty good, actually). However, when I try to connect the mics to the battery box, and then the battery box to the iRiver (as it should be) this just does not work. I can't record anything.

So at this moment, the battery box is useless for me. What can be wrong?

The mics and battery box can be seen here
http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-poweredbattery1.htm
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Do you have your iRiver Rockboxed?

And maybe a dumb question, but do you have everything connected correctly?

Another dumb question:  Did the battery box come with a battery in it?  ;)

Final dumb question:  Do you have the on/off switch set in the right position?

However, you would really get better results getting a battery box from somewhere else, since all of Giant Squid's battery boxes come with a fixed bass roll-off.

This is what I use for my backup rig:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-8

It's really nice and small, relatively cheap, and the 9 volt battery lasts a really long time.

Every Giant Squid recording I've ever heard is really thin - the only exception being A.D.L.'s version of Rome 2008. He got lucky that time, since The Cure is pumping out extreme amounts of bass on this tour.

Hopefully you selected the option to make your mics detachable from the battery box? :?

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 04, 2008, 20:07:20
Hopefully you selected the option to make your mics detachable from the battery box? :?

Yes dude. My mics are separated of the batery box. I also have rockboxed my IRiver. Find attached the connection from the mics to the battery box to my IRiver. I think is ok?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Well, I can think of 4 things:

1) It is connected backwards?  Sorry, I'm not really familiar with this setup, so maybe that's not even possible...

2) Is there a battery in the battery box?

3) Is the battery box turned on?

The fourth possibility is that the battery box is broken, but I doubt it.

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on June 04, 2008, 20:21:34
2) Is there a battery in the battery box?
3) Is the battery box turned on?

2) Not idea. I thought it comes included it? I will have to open it.
3) There's no button to turn off/on the battery :?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on June 04, 2008, 20:25:182) Not idea. I thought it comes included it? I will have to open it.

Wanna bet $20 there's no battery in there?  :D

dsanchez

I just opened the batter box (see attached)

According to the mics page "This is not your normal flimsy type of 9 Volt battery connector, rather, it is a rigid type that will not split or become malformed over multiple uses like the common variety will do."

So it looks like that tiny black thing on the pic is the battery. I am confused.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on June 04, 2008, 20:41:19
So it looks like that tiny black thing on the pic is the battery. I am confused.

if you accepted lostflower4's bet, i think you just lost $20(?). ;)
to me it looks like the black thing on the pic is the thing into which you need to attach the 9 V battery. so it looks exactly like battery boxes do - without a battery.
so just go buy some of these?:

:smth023
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 04, 2008, 20:51:01
to me it looks like the black thing on the pic is the thing into which you need to attach the 9 V battery. so it looks exactly like battery boxes do - without a battery.

Yeah of course. What a dumb I am! Thanks for the help guys, now +1 for both of you  :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on June 04, 2008, 20:53:21
Quote from: japanesebaby on June 04, 2008, 20:51:01

Yeah of course. What a dumb I am! Thanks for the help guys, now +1 for both of you  :smth023

no problem  :)

However, you would really get better results getting a battery box from somewhere else, since all of Giant Squid's battery boxes come with a fixed bass roll-off.

It's really nice and small, relatively cheap, and the 9 volt battery lasts a really long time.

Every Giant Squid recording I've ever heard is really thin - the only exception being A.D.L.'s version of Rome 2008. He got lucky that time, since The Cure is pumping out extreme amounts of bass on this tour.

very good advice, i'd suggest the same thing.

hopefully?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 04, 2008, 20:57:45
very good advice, i'd suggest the same thing.

Thanks for the advice. However due my limited budget now, I will have to use the battery box I have for a while!

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 04, 2008, 20:57:45
hopefully?

Yeah, otherwise I couldn't use the mics with another battery box. Hopefully I selected that optiong when I bought the mics.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on June 04, 2008, 20:53:21Yeah of course. What a dumb I am! Thanks for the help guys, now +1 for both of you  :smth023

And $20 for me. I accept PayPal or cash.  :lol:

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

j

Damn....that was my suggestion was that there either wasn't a battery or the battery was dead.

@David- make sure you unplug the mics when you aren't using them. They will drain the battery as long as it is plugged in.

dsanchez

Quote from: j on June 04, 2008, 21:07:19
@David- make sure you unplug the mics when you aren't using them. They will drain the battery as long as it is plugged in.

Thank you. By the way these mics are really perfect to put in the border of the glasses, kind of what Caley suggested before
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo