merch question

Started by rodney, June 20, 2008, 00:23:08

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney

As per usual, I didn't have enough money to buy a t-shirt in Philly or Chicago, so I opted for the eBay route.  I paid a pretty price for a shirt through there (though still less than at the show) and I noticed that the fabric seems a little thin to me.  Has anyone noticed this on the 4tour shirts that they picked up at the shows?  I'm sort of halfway afraid that I got ripped off.

This is just like the one I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280236958480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

Plainsong

I bought a tank top the other night in Atlanta and as I was walking away from the merchandise stand I noticed it already had a hole in it, so I think they're just really cheap shirts! (They exchanged it for me, luckily.)

rodney

Well, that's (sort of) good news.  Thanks for the info.  I'll wear it sparingly!

Plainsong

I bought mine to sleep in and it is nice and soft for that purpose, at least!
What I really want is a shirt like Robert wears. He says he buys his clothes online...it's got to be out there somewhere.

fear_of_ghosts

I bought four shirts in Atlanta and although I know $35-40 for a shirt is too much, I still think they are decent quality. Two of them, the one with the funky design (made to be "vintage" style) and the red & black striped one are a bit thinner, but should hold up for a bit.
The further I get from the things that I care about, the less I care about how much further away I get...

Cold Colours

I bought two different shirts for myself and the one you have linked in your post for a friend at the Santa Barbara gig and they seem to be holding up fairly well a few weeks on.  They've made it through the washing cycle without any holes or tears.  The shirts don't appear to me to be much thicker or thinner than other shirts I've bought over the years.  I did notice that some small faded patches have already formed near the front seam at the bottom of one of the shirts but it is nothing overly noticeable or worrisome to me yet.

My Wish tour tshirt seemed very thin at the time but it lasted all the way up to the past few years.  It is only now, 16 years later, starting to show some real wear and tear.  I think these newer shirts should last much longer than you think (unless you wear them every other freaking day or something)  :smth023.
[i]Follow me to where the real fun is[/i]

rodney

You know, I'd have paid $35 for one at the show.  I had that much.  It was the extra $10 I was missing.  But, bands make a lot of their money on merch, and with gas prices as they are it's going to be expensive.  I saw Mates Of State the other night and I think their shirts were $25, and they're a much smaller band.

The cost wasn't my concern as much as making sure I got a real tour shirt, not one of the bootleg shirts that are rampant on eBay.

cure_kitty

Rodney I bought a shirt in Philly just like the one you have and I thought the shirt was of decent quality.  Not too thin or thick & no holes.  Only wore it once so far but when I washed it, it still looked like new.  The black didn't even fade and I know that can happen just after one wash. But who know what will happen after repeated washes?

Then I got 2 more in Chicago.  One with the black & red strips and the BDC since my old one is quite worn out.  They were not too bad either.  The black & red is thinner but I think the shirt was meant to be a ladies t-shirt and they tend to be thinner and smaller in size.  Still what I spent was too much for them.  $35 for the 4tour, $40 for the BDC & $45 for the B&R. 

Now my friend who went to the Sunrise show said the shirt she got was a bit thin, but I'm not sure which one she got.   So who knows, maybe they get printed up with different vendors across the country thus some places have better quality and other places they don't.  At least the quality of these were better than what I got in the 80's.  Almost every shirt I got at any concert were very thin!

rodney

What brand are yours?  Mine is an Anvil.

cure_kitty

rodney---I'll have to check.

thecupcakegeisha

I wonder if they will hock off any leftover tour stuff on their web page?  I wish they would.