Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis' gravestone stolen

Started by Janko, July 08, 2008, 11:48:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Janko

Indie legend Ian Curtis' gravestone has been stolen from a cemetery in Macclesfield. The headstone is visited by thousands of fans every year, paying their respects to the singer, who committed suicide in 1980. Detectives said the kerb stone, which has the inscription "Ian Curtis 18 - 5 - 80" and the words "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was taken sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. They are appealing for witnesses to the stone's theft, as there are no CCTV cameras in the area. The Police speak about a very unusual theft and believe that someone locally will have knowledge about who is responsible or where the memorial stone is at present.

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=33305_0_2_0_C

Bloody hell!!!

Some people really deserve the kick in the groin...

:smth011
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

Sussex

"Thick As Shit"

japanesebaby

they'll get it back when it turns up on ebay....  :roll:
let's just wait and see...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

I think the recent popularity of Joy Division and Ian Curtis brought all sorts of freaks...

frog_s

OMFG how did this person do that anyways, the gravestones I know are pretty heavy, and someone must've noticed if he/she came in with a truck or something...

Janko

Quote from: frog_s on July 10, 2008, 13:07:36
OMFG how did this person do that anyways, the gravestones I know are pretty heavy, and someone must've noticed if he/she came in with a truck or something...

It's rather small. But it still has to be pretty heavy!

japanesebaby

Quote from: Janko on July 10, 2008, 12:37:56
I think the recent popularity of Joy Division and Ian Curtis brought all sorts of freaks...

exactly. it's someone wanting his/her 15 minutes of fame there, just because joy division has been media sexy enough lately. i really can't imagine to have read this kind of news sometime around 1995... or, if someone did it back then, it wouldn't have made it to the headlines.
so that's the whole point, the fame...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Cure Freak

At least it's just a stone with an inscription and not a huge tombstone... they could replace it. But really, who wants to continue to replace it when that becomes a problem... cause you know if someone gets away with it someone else will just steal it again...

but,still, it is fucked up.
:smth011