Hey, Robert Smith, here is an idea!

Started by revolt, July 17, 2008, 13:35:41

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Robert, I doubt that you have the time or the patience to read this forum, maybe you don't even know about it, but in case you happen to read this, here is an idea from a long-time fan...

Since you are already planning to release a September EP with the new singles remixed, make it an 8-track EP with all the 4 singles A-sides plus 4 remixes, one for each of the original songs. This would be sort of a mix between Japanese Whispers and Mixed Up and would solve once and for all the "problem" of these new pop songs, because, let's be realistic here, they don't live up to the quality of past Cure pop singles (from 'Boys Don't Cry' to 'The 13th', that is).

Then in October or November or December 13th you could release a real album (but not a double CD!), which would NOT INCLUDE any of the 4 singles mentioned above and which would be a more serious / darker affair. No, I'm not asking for a new 'Disintegration', and since I don't know most of the more than 30 songs you recorded in those sessions, I'm only guessing here... but I think maybe a sort of 'Wish'-without-the-poppier-songs type of album could be possible here?

Or maybe re-record 'Sleep When I'm Dead' with rhythm and solo acoustic guitars instead of that already overused wah-wah sound and include it in the album also? Because this is potentially a really good pop song and done in a better way it would merit inclusion in a new Cure album, I think.

Lostflowerboy

I personally like the idea of having the 4 singles embedded in the album in a different version than on the singles, so a sort of Pop EP ahead of a dark album doesn't sound that fascinating to me. I want both moods to be on the album, happy pop songs and dark masterpieces. If it's down to only one style it's not really the Cure to me (Like "Lovesong" and "Lullaby" are important for the flow of the Disintegration album and the other way round "The Kiss", "The Snakepit" and "a thousand hours" are an integral part of the KMKMKM album).

So, from my point of view: Go ahead as planned Robert, 18 Songs in 80 minutes sounds like a plan.   :smth023
But I like the idea of having 8 tracks on the remix EP: 4 rather radical remixes and 4 conventional extented 7 minute versions (like back in the good old days - remember the higher mix of, well, "high").

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 17, 2008, 14:06:21
Go ahead as planned Robert

That's a big problem. Robert's plans seem to change every day... :-D

Lostflowerboy

I'm glad they do! Imagine how expensive all those solo/double/live Albums and DVDs would've been over the years.

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 17, 2008, 14:06:21
If it's down to only one style it's not really the Cure to me

My idea didn't imply only one style of music. If you get things like "Shake Dog Shake", "A Forest", "Pictures of You", "The Snakepit", "One More Time", "Other Voices", "All I Want" and "The Hanging Garden" in the same album, for example, you´ll get plenty of different styles and moods. Just not the happy pop mood (which I have nothing against, if the songs are fresh and memorable enough).

Lostflowerboy

But still it would be a purely dark and melancholic album with a touch of rock here and there.
About a year ago I compiled 3 Cure Best ofs for myself entitled "Best happy", "best rock", "best dark". After longs hours of compiling (editing them down from 200+ to 79:59 minutes  ;)) they turned out to be rubbish, because they didn't work at all. Partly that's the same for "Bloodflowers": Great songs by themselfes, but as an album I'm sure it would work better if "Spilt milk" and 1-2 happy songs would've made it onto the final tracklist.

So, let's hope for a 18 track album with
- the 4 singles
- 2 more memorable happy pop songs and
- 6 rock songs 
- 6 dark melancholic songs

Robert - are you still listening?

KingOfSomeIsland

well I wouldnt count Sleep as a happy pop song... Id put it as a rock song, a poppy one along the lines of Never Enough and Wrong Number but still a more 'rock' song.

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason