4:13 Dream 'Studio' or 'Live'

Started by wish-man, October 20, 2008, 23:32:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is better studio album or live album?

Live album
5 (18.5%)
Studio album
5 (18.5%)
The album sucks anyway, both studio and live
1 (3.7%)
Both are good
10 (37%)
The songs themselves are good but the production sucks
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

wish-man

Just interestingly people's opinion as I think that Live is much-much better then Studio...  :roll:
and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

japanesebaby

not voting yet since i've not even heard the thing yet. but just wanted to make sure what the option
'album sucks at all' stands for. do you mean that both live and studio versions suck, that it sucks anyway, either way?

i just find that it might be a bit enigmatic option, the way it is now.
just a question  :D

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 20, 2008, 23:39:41
but just wanted to make sure what the option 'album sucks at all' stands for

I think he means the new album has not hope, either live or studio, it sucks.

So far I think the live version is better, but I wait to hear the album (I'll buy the vynil).
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Janko

I didn't hear the studio version.
Live stuff is awesome.
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

lostflower4

Quote from: Janko on October 21, 2008, 00:34:04
Live stuff is awesome.

I think the new songs are great, and the live stuff is awesome.

The new album sounds like shit, so it really doesn't matter if the songs are good at not.

Sorry Robert, but you screwed up - BIG TIME.  :oops:

tigermilk

I'm listening to the album now, it got leaked all over the net, (but of course I'm still gonna buy the CD next week). It's good, but still too loud for my liking. I'll still need to give it a few more spins so I can judge properly. I really enjoy the live set though.

harrold

I'm feeling exactly the same about the new album... I don't think it did worth to wait '4Tour'  :? years for that stuff...  :(
But I still believe in a carismatic dark album told to be issued.... in this century. :roll:

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 21, 2008, 07:39:15
Quote from: Janko on October 21, 2008, 00:34:04
Live stuff is awesome.

I think the new songs are great, and the live stuff is awesome.

The new album sounds like shit, so it really doesn't matter if the songs are good at not.

Sorry Robert, but you screwed up - BIG TIME.  :oops:
"...the kiss is dry and it's not the same you... "

othervoices

MTV has some one minute samples on their site:

http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/10062008/424401/the_cure

and there is a wigit that you can download with videos (4 singles & RS interview / old videos)

http://www.polydor.co.uk/thecure/widget/

wish-man

Quote from: harrold on October 21, 2008, 17:09:26
But I still believe in a carismatic dark album told to be issued.... in this century. :roll:

Yes... me too...  :smth011

Bloody 3 years I have wait for this 'great' album... since 2006 Roberts birthday, isn't it?! And what do I get?... ah, SPICE GIRLS shit in face!  :cry:

Hey Bobby, here is a picture I want to present you and ur actual girlfriends...

harrold

Wow, grats for the pic! Did you shot yourself in Rome?  :-D :-D
Anyway, even if I agree with you, please, calm down a bit, wish-man, because in spite of this shit we face with in this autumn, we, I guess, still love them all because Robert, The Cure gave us Faith, 17 secs, Pgrahy, 3IB, etc. Isn't that just right?
So, mabye it is time to pick up the dark album, if really exists  :? :shock: and get it issued A.S.A.P...

Quote from: wish-man on October 21, 2008, 17:45:18
Quote from: harrold on October 21, 2008, 17:09:26

Yes... me too...  :smth011

Bloody 3 years I have wait for this 'great' album... since 2006 Roberts birthday, isn't it?! And what do I get?... ah, SPICE GIRLS shit in face!  :cry:

Hey Bobby, here is a picture I want to present you and ur actual girlfriends...

"...the kiss is dry and it's not the same you... "

tigermilk

Turn the treble down on the studio recording. Then it sounds heaps better.
If you have an iPod, go to settings, then EQ, and select Treble Reduce. Trust me if you do this it sounds 100x better.
:smth020

wish-man

Quote from: harrold on October 21, 2008, 18:05:56
Wow, grats for the pic! Did you shot yourself in Rome?  :-D :-D

Yeh mate, Im on the left. Im so lovely, isn't it?! lol

crowbi_wan

Hearing the preview of The Hungary Ghost a few days back just ruined it for me.  I hate the vocals and Porl's effects.  That song was pure heaven in Rome.  Now, after listening to the entire album I'll be sticking with the live cuts.  Pretty sad that a shit ton of money was spent on studio time and production when they could have just as well plugged in somewhere and done it all in one take.  :oops: 

btw, didn't RS at one point say how stripped down the album was?  I want to hear that mix.   

tigermilk

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 23, 2008, 06:54:11
Pretty sad that a shit ton of money was spent on studio time and production when they could have just as well plugged in somewhere and done it all in one take.  :oops: 

btw, didn't RS at one point say how stripped down the album was?  I want to hear that mix.   

Yeah me too. Imagine if they released a delux edtion, featuring a semi-accoustic disc or possibly the live set (I think they would have to do another show since Roberts voice wasn't exactly the best in that show), that would be interesting. Far more desirable than the crap EP.

lostflower4

Quote from: tigermilk on October 22, 2008, 04:41:30
Turn the treble down on the studio recording. Then it sounds heaps better.
If you have an iPod, go to settings, then EQ, and select Treble Reduce. Trust me if you do this it sounds 100x better.
:smth020

Cutting the treble does help, but then the instruments start to go away too, so it's not a perfect solution.

Besides, there's absolutely no dymanic range. It's all just one big loud sound that kind of mushes together after a while. I like the songs, but there's no impact at all when it's like this.

It's sad... Every single album since Wish has had progressively worse sound.

I thought Wild Mood Swings sounded bad when I first heard it, but now it sounds awesome compared to the new stuff. I didn't care much for the sound of Bloodflowers, but it sounds great by comparison. I had problems with The Cure album from 2004, but I'd take the sound of it over this any day.

So I have to say I'm utterly afraid of how the supposed "dark album" will sound. Actually, I don't think it will be worse. I'm pretty sure it was just the other half of the recent sessions. I really don't doubt that it's already finished and ready to go. But of course we'll have to wait forever for some unknown reasons...

Seriously, I've lost hope in The Cure putting out a good studio release. Thankfully they can still put on a good live show.