Greece 97, Cote d'Ivoire 60
Spain 91, Libya 57
Angola 92, Germany 88
USA 88, Iran 51
Turkey 79, Puerto Rico 77
Lithuania 69, France 55
Argentina 88, Jordan 79
Slovenia 80, Brazil 77

I caught the second half of the USA/Iran game today. Not sure if that was worth my time or not.  :oops:  Team USA's next game against Tunisia is completely meaningless as they've already won their group, but I imagine it will be another slaughter. Only thing about that is when you have so many wins in a row you have to worry when that's gonna change — and the elimination round is just around the corner...

Will the USA really be facing Angola for this?  At the moment it's looking like it as Germany blew their chance. What a crazy year!  :eek:

P.S.  Is anyone else surprised that Jordan keeps losing?  I guess he's getting old, and taking teams on teams all by himself must be quite the task.  :-D

lostflower4

Thursday, September 2 results:

Puerto Rico 88, Cote d'Ivoire 79
Spain 89, Canada 67
Australia 76, Angola 55
USA 92, Tunisia 57
Russia 73, Greece 69
Lithuania 84, Lebanon 66
Serbia 84, Argentina 82
Slovenia 65, Iran 60
Turkey 87, China 40
New Zealand 82, France 70
Germany 91, Jordan 73
Brazil 92, Croatia 74

Again, no big surprises... But finally the elimination round, where the real fun begins!

All games will be in Istanbul from now on. The winners of groups with the same color will play each other in the quarterfinals.

4 September 2010

Serbia (4-1) vs. Croatia (2-3)
Spain (3-2) vs. Greece (3-2)

5 September 2010

Slovenia (4-1) vs. Australia (3-2)
Turkey (5-0) vs. France (3-2)

6 September 2010

USA (5-0) vs. Angola (2-3)
Russia (4-1) vs. New Zealand (3-2)

7 September 2010

Lithuania (5-0) vs. China (1-4)
Argentina (4-1) vs. Brazil (3-2)

lostflower4

Saturday, September 5 results:

Serbia 73, Croatia 72
Spain 80, Greece 72

Croatia almost pulled off the upset against Serbia. Damn!

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 04, 2010, 20:14:31

Serbia 73, Croatia 72

:(

in my mind's eye i can see the picture disc disappering off into the distance...
:P
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 05, 2010, 16:59:50
Quote from: lostflower4 on September 04, 2010, 20:14:31

Serbia 73, Croatia 72

:(

in my mind's eye i can see the picture disc disappering off into the distance...
Sorry about that. Your favorite Canadians also fared poorly, losing all five of their games... But I think there's just as good enough reason for you to cheer for the good ol' US of A.  ;)
USA Basketball 2010 Fiba

Sunday, September 5 results:

Slovenia 87, Australia 58
Turkey 95, France 77  (what a pity !)

The USA's first elimination round game is today against Angola. One thing I like about sports is that usually anyone can win on a given day, but Angola doesn't have a chance in hell. The only reason they got this far is because they played in a weak group. But I would assume it will be a more competitive game than the one I mentioned above.  :lol:

After this will be some real challenges, with teams like Lithuania, Argentina, and Brazil looming. And on the other side of the bracket is Serbia, who looks to be a formidable opponent for anyone.  :eek:

Turkey is also undefeated so far. Not sure if it's just the home court advantage or what.

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 06, 2010, 15:38:40
Your favorite Canadians also fared poorly, losing all five of their games,

The USA's first elimination round game is today against Angola. One thing I like about sports is that usually anyone can win on a given day, but Angola doesn't have a chance in hell. The only reason they got this far is because they played in a weak group before. But I'd assume it will be a closer game than the one I mentioned above.  :lol:

i just have to say that one really doesn't see a country like angola around that much in the sport world - so perhaps i will root for the underdog. ;)

And on the other side of the bracket is Serbia, who looks to be a formidable opponent for anyone.   :eek:

Naaah.
8)

japanesebaby

well done turkey !!  :)

A   63   Turkey   France   95 - 77

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 06, 2010, 15:50:28i just have to say that one really doesn't see a country like angola around that much in the sport world - so perhaps i will root for the underdog. ;)

Hope you had fun with that.  :lol:

Monday, September 6 results:

USA 121, Angola 66
Russia 78, New Zealand 56

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 06, 2010, 22:19:23
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 06, 2010, 15:50:28i just have to say that one really doesn't see a country like angola around that much in the sport world - so perhaps i will root for the underdog. ;)

Hope you had fun with that.  :lol:

Monday, September 6 results:

USA 121, Angola 66
Russia 78, New Zealand 56

le oups?  :smth083

lostflower4

By the way, the folks at FIBA obviously have a bit more brains than the people at FIFA:

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=35318

8)

FIBA Bans Vuvuzela from 2010 Basketball World Championship

ISTANBUL/GENEVA (FIBA World Championship) – FIBA has announced that it is to ban the vuvuzela from the forthcoming basketball World Championship in Turkey because of health concerns.

The sport's international governing body is urging fans not to bring the controversial instruments to games and warned that security staff will confiscate them. Supporters also face expulsion from the tournament's five venues if they flout the ban.
FIBA is the first international sport federation to officially ban the vuvuzela from all of its events. The ban will also include pressure horns that can produce similar decibel levels and harm people's health.

The noise made by the horns was a major talking point at the football World Cup in South Africa with opinion divided over the effect they had on the atmosphere during games.

Patrick Baumann, the Secretary-General of FIBA and a member of the International Olympic Committee, said: "We want fans to enjoy themselves and make lots of noise but not at the risk of spoiling it for others.

"The vuvuzela is simply not appropriate in a confined space such as a basketball arena. It's a very loud instrument and some medical experts believe the decibel level and frequency can be harmful to hearing.

"Besides our responsibility to protect the well-being of our athletes and fans alike, the sound level in an indoor sport arena could create communication problems between the referees and that could have a direct negative impact on the game.

"We are urging fans not to bring the instrument to stadia because they will be confiscated by security staff and anybody who manages to smuggle one into a venue might end up missing the game.

"Previous tournaments have shown us that it's possible to have a carnival atmosphere and passionate support without the vuvuzela."
The ban will also be implemented for all other FIBA indoor events in the future such as the FIBA World Championship for Women later in the year.

Dr Heinz Gunter, Vice President of the FIBA Medical Commission, backed the decision saying: "If somebody is sitting next to more than one vuvuzela it can cause damage to the ear. The problem is the instrument has a very high frequency which is not good for the ears."

Mr Nicholas Eynon-Lewis, a consultant ENT surgeon at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London, also said: "The vuvuzela can produce sound pressure levels of up to 120 decibels. There is evidence that if spectators are exposed to this level of noise for more than a short period of time, they could suffer permanent damage to their hearing"

The 2010 FIBA World Championship will be the world's biggest-ever basketball competition and feature superstars such as Kevin Durant, Marc Gasol and Jianlin Yi.

Around 350,000 people are expected to attend the event in Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir and Kayseri from August 28 to September 12 with more than one billion viewers watching the action on TV
or online.

The tournament will feature 24 teams, including reigning world champions Spain and 2008 Olympic gold medalists USA, with 288 players competing in 80 games. Two new venues have been built especially for the finals.

Seven different teams have been crowned World Champions. Leading the medal table are the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and the USA, all having won the Championship three times. Spain are defending the title they won in Japan in 2006, while Argentina are currently the world's best ranked basketball nation.

The team winning the 2010 FIBA World Championship will qualify automatically for the London 2012 Olympics.

For more information contact: communications@fiba.com.

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 07, 2010, 15:51:47
By the way, the folks at FIBA obviously have a bit more brains than the people at FIFA:

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=35318

8)

viva la brains!  :smth023

lostflower4

At halftime, powerhouse Lithuania only leads China 43-40.  :!:

Can China hang in there, or will Lithuania pull away?

lostflower4

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 07, 2010, 17:59:45Can China hang in there, or will Lithuania pull away?

It doesn't appear so. At the end of three quarters, Lithuania leads 63-51.  :?

lostflower4

Tuesday, September 7 results:

Lithuania 78, China 67
Argentina 93, Brazil 89

The Argentina/Brazil game is a big one... The winner will play Lithuania. And the winner of that will likely play the USA in the semifinals.

alwaysprayingforRAIN

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 07, 2010, 15:51:47

FIBA Bans Vuvuzela from 2010 Basketball World Championship

for the EURO 2012 and the qualification they banned it, thank god!!! i hate that noise.

since germany was pretty bad i really hope the U.S. will thump whatever opponents they'll have to face!!!!  :smth023
Say hello on a day like today
Say it every time you move
The way that you look at me now
Makes me wish i was you