Known Cure Soundboards?

Started by mfk, May 20, 2014, 16:13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

mfk

Hi all,
I'm relatively new to the forums and while I'm a Cure fan from way back, have just recently re-ignited my passion for this band by moving into the bootleg arena and have accumulated around 100 shows but obviously am interested in soundboard recordings above all else. I see that there are a number of shows that have maybe 7-8 songs from an FM broadcast or something but I'm interested in full shows and was wondering if any of you veteran traders had a list of known soundboard shows that are in the wild and able to be hunted down

has anyone done anything like this?

cheyler

There are a couple from '79, Amsterdam probably being the best.  A few from '80 and '81, the Werchter Festival pretty spectacular (that's an FM).  A couple from '82, no '83s as far as I know.  There are a couple here and there from pretty much every year, not many.  There are some really spectacular audience tapes all over the place, you might want to amend your policy of soundboards above all else.  I've got nearly 50 shows from the Prayer Tour and am finding that, contrary to what I thought, there are a LOT of great audience recordings from that tour.  There are three consecutive shows in July 1990 (soundboard or FM) and they were playing Same Deep Water post-Roger...the guitars were more prominent which is always a good thing.  Stuttgart 1992 is a good soundboard, actually it's a matrix of aud and sbd.  Monterrey Mexico from June 1992 is a fair-ish FM broadcast.  Lots of aud tapes from the Wish tour but nobody really made the definitive recording, almost nothing really listenable...maybe Sacramento.  The London show from May 1992 is THE number one incredible satellite broadcast to dat perfect quality show of them all, if I had to pick a single concert to take to that (by now very crowded) deserted island, it would be that one.  There are some good auds once they got back to Europe in 1992, Manchester and London in November and the Paris shows in October.  After Porl left it really takes off, lots of sbds and FMs all over the place, 2000 being particularly good performance-wise, Roger really puts the cherry on top of A Strange Day.  Typical that the really great periods aren't well covered but the less interesting eras are documented fairly comprehensively, Murphy's Law extends to music as well as everything else.  Do we need every single festival appearance in perfect digital FM sound?  No.  Seems like every performance since 2011 has been filmed/videoed/recorded, but they're really not that great.  The spontaneity and (if you'll permit) danger disappeared along with Porl in 2009.  I really really miss that son-of-a-gun.  Great sbds and FMs from 2005, Switzerland being the prize there, digital soundboard with an aud tape overlay to fill in the bottom end, about as good as it gets.  Murphy sticks his nose in once again, Robert's voice deserted him for 5 or 6 songs, he said if it doesn't come back he'd stop the show but it came back and the rest was great.  One show in 2006, decent aud.  Good auds in 2007, then sbds again in 2008, Charlotte, Paris, New York, Rome, also great audience recordings in '08 and the set lists push those recordings up into the spectacular realm.  I think the Radio City show (final American show) was filmed and recorded for DVD but Paris was chosen instead because it was a better gig.  Hearing that line-up do Out Of This World and Bloodflowers was a real treat, pity they didn't start doing those songs a year earlier, they would have had time to really ferment...as it is they sound tentative and unfamiliar (which they were).  The two that really got away, two songs I really wanted that band to tackle, Last Day Of Summer and Same Deep Water, as it is they soundchecked the latter a couple times.  NME Big Gig in Feb. '09, great double cd set but taken from a dvd rip and the sound is a little off balance, audio mixes being somewhat different than video mixes.  Then Las Vegas, very nice aud, and Porl's last call at Coachella.  Interesting show, Porl's guitar is wayyyy too low in the mix, sounds like it has colic half the time.  Very subdued performance.   Porl was extremely subdued as compared to the summer '08 gigs.  The sound guy realized Porl was missing somewhere around Push and from there on out it's a pretty fine recording...it would be nice to overlay the aud tape onto the soundtrack from the webcast, we might get a little closer to the truth there.  Get the dvd of that one.  If you need any of this stuff, send me a PM.

mfk

thanks so much for posting that list! I've got a good chunk of it, but on your recommendation got the swiss show from 05 and am VERY glad i did! Do you know if there are any boards floating around for 2002? I have a little bit of don't believe a thing > A forest as filler somewhere that sounds pretty amazing. might be an AUD, but it's just so crystal clear that I'm wondering if it's a board.

cheyler

I've got a couple from 2002, only one I have listed so far (going through everything) is Spain 02-Aug-2002, two CDs from an audience source and it's very good.   Not sure if I listed it but there's a stellar quality FM from Brussels 03-Feb-2000, also two CDs.  Continuing to list out everything archived on 50-60 DVDs with anywhere from 1 to 10 shows on each, will post complete list of 2002 when list is finished, shouldn't be too long.