Favorite overlooked and forgotten cure songs

Started by mooki, June 05, 2014, 12:56:05

Previous topic - Next topic

mooki

What are your favorite non-single Cure songs that no one really talks about or listens to that much? (overlooked songs like 'Three', 'The Snakepit', 'Doubt', etc.)

This is purely subjective; if you believe a song is overlooked, then feel free to put it up.

My favorites are 'Secrets', 'A Thousand Hours', and 'Six Different Ways'. Totally unappreciated!

What are yours?

MeltingMan

B-Sides included?
I don't mind...This Morning and Fake at the moment.
...and this is only a selection of a longer list.My hearing habits changed over the years. :(
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

I think it's supposed to be 'non-single' including b-sides but since there's a small opening there I'll put my vote in for 'Halo'.
What makes a song qualify as 'overlooked and forgotten'?  Time since last played?  Never played?  Coming up dry on album songs, would have said '2Late' but it's not forgotten anymore.  Funny how Robert says that was one of the only songs he'd sing to himself while doing things around the house but that when they went to re-learn the song he found he'd been singing the wrong words all this time!  Love it. 
Also 'This Twilight Garden' but it's a b-side too, possibly favorite Cure song ever.
GOT IT!!!
'Object'.

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on June 06, 2014, 05:29:44
What makes a song qualify as 'overlooked and forgotten'? 

Guess it depends on point of view, but the threadstarter said this:

Quote from: mooki on June 05, 2014, 12:56:05
What are your favorite non-single Cure songs that no one really talks about or listens to that much?
So I'd suggest we go by this.

"The Snakepit" is a very good example in my opinion. For me, it was a bit of a "forgotten" song until they played it live on the "Dream tour 2000", from then on I listened to it more often again!
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

mooki

'Object' is a great one! I blame myself for overlooking Three Imaginary Boys; it's the only Cure album I haven't listened to completely.

Before people started appreciating The Top, I would've said any song off that album was completely underrated. But now that people are expressing their love for that album (I guess that coincides with the fact I started involving myself with the Cure community recently), I guess it's no longer overlooked.

Another song I love that most people don't mention? Return!

cheyler

Ulrich chose a good one, The Snakepit (thanks for the reminder).  First time they played it live Roger had just joined I think.  Have to go back to the '87 shows and listen again.    I sure would have liked to hear the '92 Porl/Perry band do that one.  The biggest hole in my Cure education is KMKMKM, my least favorite album.  It seems a bit like Bob Dylan's 'Self Portrait' or The Clash's 'Sandinista'; as a single album, each is an instant classic/hot seller/high-charting success, but water each down sufficiently with weaker material and you get mixed reviews/opinions/success/whatever.  I'd say it's also like good dope, cut it down enough and you don't get high.  Dylan and Topper would agree...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on June 07, 2014, 04:03:12
Ulrich chose a good one, The Snakepit (thanks for the reminder).

To be fair, it was mooki who mentioned it as an example in the 1st post. Otherwise I might have "forgotten" about it. ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Found another one,very close to The Snakepit:
How Beautiful You Are...
A very rare live track,isn't it?
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

cheyler

Love that song, I like the 4Tour versions best, pretty sparse arrangement.  Favorite is Paris from March 2008.  RS said something like "that's really the most depressing song we do".  The melancholy is there but the beauty just wipes it out.  Another great suggestion.