Howdy from Denver!

Started by frostygoth, October 06, 2016, 00:34:44

Previous topic - Next topic

frostygoth

Hi fellow Curefans! I can't believe I just found this site, where have you been all this time, hah!

I'm Jill in Denver, CO. I've been listening to The Cure since 1989 after hearing "Lovesong" on the radio, and they have been my favorite band ever since. I'd like to think that my love for travel came from finding The Cure, because I got into a lot of British alternative bands at that time, and they fueled my desire to go to the UK and see the place where all of these musical geniuses came from!

I've seen The Cure 11 times across four different countries (US--in 3 different states and DC, Canada, Switzerland and Italy), and met Perry and Simon (through total accidents, and not at the same time). Hopefully will meet Lol at his book signing in Denver next month, so excited!

I'm glad I found a community of like-minded people, and hopefully can meet up with some fellow Denver Cureheads!

Jill

dsanchez

hi Jill, welcome to curefans.com! glad you found us! :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MintQR

Hey Jill :D :D :D

One question: how exactly do you meet Perry and Simon by total accidents???
And why such accidents never happen to me? :<<<<

Nice to have you here :D Enjoy!

frostygoth

Thanks dsanchez! BTW I see you're in Slovakia. I've been to Bratislava, I loved it!!

MintQR, I met Simon at a festival in Switzerland in 1998. The Cure headlined the festival, and after they finished playing, my friends and I went to a beer tent to get a drink. There stood Simon and a friend of his also getting beer! So we got a photo with them and then left them alone to drink.

These same friends of mine, being Italian and Swiss, invited me to Italy to go to several Cure shows with them in 2000 during the Bloodflowers tour. We were roaming around Florence when there Perry was, on a street corner, looking at a map! So we went up to him, introduced ourselves, chatted for a bit, got a photo, and let him go on his way.

These two pictures are some of my most cherished photos!!

Jill

MintQR

OMG these are absolutely great stories :D

My closest encounter with any of the band members is when Perry (probably accidentally) accepted my FB friends request D:

and BTW - you know you HAVE to post these pics here now, right? RIGHT? :D

Ulrich

Welcome to the forum!

Quote from: MintQR on October 10, 2016, 20:13:16
and BTW - you know you HAVE to post these pics here now, right? RIGHT? :D

Yep, I agree!  :-D
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

frostygoth

Hah ok, they're old school photos that were scanned in ages ago so the quality isn't the best. I'm the short gal with the short haircut (not the one with dark curly hair).

Anyone recognize the house Cure shirt in the Perry photo?? Their first website was organized as a house, with each room being a different topic. I think each current band member had a bedroom and they just posted fun facts about themselves, links to bands they liked, etc. And the basement contained former members!! It was brilliant...and I apparently bought a shirt of it! I've never seen anyone else with that shirt. It's now part of a quilt that has all of my Cure shirts throughout the ages.

Jill

dsanchez

Quote from: frostygoth on October 17, 2016, 20:55:06
Anyone recognize the house Cure shirt in the Perry photo?? Their first website was organized as a house, with each room being a different topic.

hey, nice photos and good you mention The Cure's first website (I didn't remember the house detail). I found it on the archive website:

http://web.archive.org/web/19961228171030/http://www.thecure.com/

and here they mention the t-shirt you have!

http://web.archive.org/web/19970126113728/http://www.thecure.com/tshirt/index.html

Quotehello from the cure,

this is the official t-shirt for our website... a lot of you seemed to like the idea so we went and made up a few! remember that this special shirt is available only online from the cure; you cannot buy it in any shop.  this t-shirt is 100% glorious cotton in black (one size fits all) and features a gorgeous color picture of our house and the www.thecure.com logo in white lettering. the shirt costs $24.95 + shipping and handling.
it's very easy really...
love,
robert, simon, jason, roger, and perry

p.s. when you get to the next page you'll have to make an account with CDNow if you don't have one already... it's easy

p.p.s. we can't guarantee how long this shirt will be available as several people have got one already... but for now we still have some left if you want one!

:smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

frostygoth

WOW, what a blast from the past! Gotta love 1990's website design! Too bad you can't go through the house anymore.

Thanks for finding that, guess my shirt is quite rare!

Thanks,
Jill

Ulrich

Thanks for posting the pics, very cool!  :)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...