Favourite album opener?

Started by KingOfSomeIsland, March 03, 2007, 16:54:44

Previous topic - Next topic

what is the best opening song for an album?

10:15 Saturday Night
1 (1.5%)
The Holy Hour
2 (2.9%)
One Hundred Years
4 (5.9%)
Shake Dog Shake
5 (7.4%)
In Between Days
0 (0%)
The Kiss
10 (14.7%)
Plainsong
27 (39.7%)
Open
10 (14.7%)
Want
6 (8.8%)
Out Of This World
1 (1.5%)
Lost
2 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: japanesebaby on July 09, 2008, 22:01:51
Quote from: mint car on July 09, 2008, 21:04:34
Quote from: othervoices on July 09, 2008, 20:02:50...underneath the stars will become a challenger for the top spot if the album version is as good as it is live...

hmmm... Underneath The Stars is excellent opener I think.

'underneath the stars' has been added to the options now, go vote. ;)

Thanks. I actually was looking at this topic to add it to the options but then I saw it was already there and I was like wow am i losing my mind? haha

revolt

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on July 10, 2008, 03:18:21
Quote from: japanesebaby on July 09, 2008, 22:01:51
Quote from: mint car on July 09, 2008, 21:04:34
Quote from: othervoices on July 09, 2008, 20:02:50...underneath the stars will become a challenger for the top spot if the album version is as good as it is live...

hmmm... Underneath The Stars is excellent opener I think.

'underneath the stars' has been added to the options now, go vote. ;)

Thanks. I actually was looking at this topic to add it to the options but then I saw it was already there and I was like wow am i losing my mind? haha

Now, come on, how can 'Underneath the Stars' be in that poll already? The album hasn't been released yet, we don't know if the song works well as an opener to the specific album it belongs to. We don't even know if the studio version sounds good by itself.

Remember, the question for this poll is "what is the best opening song for an album", not the best opening song for a CONCERT. This latter one would also be interesting, true, but then you would have to include stuff like 'Accuracy', 'The Figurehed' and 'The Baby Screams"...

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on July 10, 2008, 10:52:57
Now, come on, how can 'Underneath the Stars' be in that poll already? The album hasn't been released yet, we don't know if the song works well as an opener to the specific album it belongs to. We don't even know if the studio version sounds good by itself.

Remember, the question for this poll is "what is the best opening song for an album", not the best opening song for a CONCERT. This latter one would also be interesting, true, but then you would have to include stuff like 'Accuracy', 'The Figurehed' and 'The Baby Screams"...

actually, you're right. it's my bad as i constantly forget that this topic is about album openers and not concert openers (i guess that's because i don't listen to studio albums that much, compared to live recordings - my own personal "problem" i guess. ;) anyway.)

so, let's re-remove the song from the list for now & also update the topic title with the word "album".

if anyone wants to put up another poll for concert openers, go ahead.  :smth023
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

TheyCallMeP

Underneath the Stars or 100 Years, I like them both for different reasons. If I had to pick only one though, it would probably be 100 Years.

AnotherCureFan

SidneyCure

1. Plainson
2. Open
3. Inbetween Days
4. Lost
Misjudged your limits
Pushed you too far
Took you for granted
I thought that you needed me more
'Boys Don't Cry' is my favourite Cure song but it doesn't mean I'm not a hardcore fan. Disintegration is my favourite LP! The Cure are my favourite band!

PicturesOfYou

Plainsong is my favourite by far, but I also like One Hundred Years and 10:15!  :smth049
There's nothing left but hope...

"Studiare, capire e lavorare sodo per cambiare il mondo"

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

nodisco

I've voted "Plainsong" since is a *perfect* album opener, but I think that "A reflection" is also a great opener, especially because it seems especially made for that purpose.
Seventeen seconds is the only album with two short instrumental "intros", one per side.