The Cure's next drummer?

Started by lostflower4, April 12, 2009, 04:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Seriously...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D43iWPNwKlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEV18wXnGsg&feature=channel

:shock:

Click his username to find even more. Unfortunately, some of the best ones have been removed due to copyright claims.  :(

There's also one Jason cover. Apparently he can also play bad if he really wants to.  :lol:

crowbi_wan

Yeah, he's pretty good.  :smth023  Certainly better than The Cure's current cymbal basher.  But damn, electro-drums blow.  Dude needs to get an acoustic set.  :roll:

fiction

A bit stiff if you ask me and also slightly out of rhythm, especially when he takes on "A Night like This". And I also want to hear him doing it on an acoustic set.
again and again and again and again and again and...

wish-man

Yeah! He is cool! I cant say that he can replace Jason fully, but partly - yes. Interestingly, how he would mellow 'In Your House'. I never heard better version of this song since Boris left the band  :(... Anyway, Boris was the best drummer and I'm sure these songs from WMS, BF, TC & 4:13 he would play better than J.... but sometimes I listen to present Cure concerts and I like when Jason, for example, playing hard on some songs. Say, I like when on 'Boys Don't Cry' he clicking twice or 'Jumping Someone Else's Train' etc. One thing I cant say in his side, that 'He is sucks'. But he is self-taught person, and its good that he can even play as he does. So lets excuse him?!  :-D

and the way the rain comes down thats how I feel inside...

lostflower4

Quote from: fiction on April 12, 2009, 09:11:12
A bit stiff if you ask me and also slightly out of rhythm, especially when he takes on "A Night like This". And I also want to hear him doing it on an acoustic set.

Well, I wasn't completely serious about him being their next drummer. I just think this proves that there are lots of other more capable drummers out there...

Actually, it would be a bit odd if Jason played everything 100% beat-for-beat the same as Boris did, but he's so far off sometimes (and just plain bad) that it gets ridiculous, in my opinion.

Quote from: wish-man on April 12, 2009, 23:16:33Say, I like when on 'Boys Don't Cry' he clicking twice or 'Jumping Someone Else's Train' etc. One thing I cant say in his side, that 'He is sucks'. But he is self-taught person, and its good that he can even play as he does. So lets excuse him?!  :-D

Really?  I find that absolutely annoying, like he's trying to play in some "fancy" style, but it just comes off sounding stupid. Even though it was still overplayed to death in the old days, I still loved hearing this song live because of Boris' powerful drumming.

I cannot stand hearing this song with both Jason and Perry at the helm, but it sounds better again with Porl on lead. Still, Jason is holding the band back.

Quote from: wish-man on April 12, 2009, 23:16:33But he is self-taught person, and its good that he can even play as he does. So lets excuse him?!  :-D]

Well, I wouldn't say that's much of an excuse. A lot of rock musicians are self-taught and infinitely more talented than Jason.

I don't think "at least he can play" is quite good enough for a band like The Cure. :!:

Oh, and I agree that electro drums are pretty uncool. However, it's quite difficult to get a good sounding recording of acoustic "rock" drums without a studio full of gear. So I really can't blame the guy if he's using these just for demonstration purposes...

fiction

Quote from: lostflower4 on April 20, 2009, 16:46:13
Quote from: fiction on April 12, 2009, 09:11:12

Well, I wasn't completely serious about him being their next drummer. I just think this proves that there are lots of other more capable drummers out there...

Well I kinda guess you wasn´t 100 % serious there but still... There´s been so much sayings around JC and his status as The Cures drummer. If You ask me the number one honest drummer for me is BW but I also liked the way CA banged the skins and if You look at the old video I posted under the "funny thing" - thread You can see that even LT was able to put up a nice number occationaly.
again and again and again and again and again and...

chipdandy

There are 10 year old girls that can drum better than Jason Cooper. The Cure live nowadays are so slowed down and cymbal crashing garbage. I cant stand listening or watching live performances from them honestly since Wish era. Although on Trilogy, Robert put the collar on Jason. Dont judge me. I could be at a concert with them all being in their 80s , 300 pounds, playing ten times slower than they do now, with Roberts voice completely lost, and I would still bawl and squall and love every second of it, never wanting it to end... Damn I love The Cure.

patitodark

Better than Jason of course! no pre-recorded shit and all played live. Notice there are more guys playing  songs of the Boris-era than songs from the current drummer...

Drum Cover - Disintegration Plainsong - The Cure - Boris Williams

The Cure - Last Dance - BORIS WILLIAMS Drum Cover

dsanchez

If one day The Cure would need a new drummer these two would be my candidates besides Boris Williams:

Zachary Alford (David Bowie's drummer). You probably remember him from Bowie's 50th Birthday concert

David Bowie and Robert Smith

And my other choice would be Budgie:

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Happy House (1981) Köln, Germany

;)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Fabien G

More Jason bashing? Robert doesn't like this.
I believe if Jason wasn't good-enough for The Cure he would have been sacked a long time ago.
He's technical enough, can play for 4 hours, and maybe he simply plays the way Robert wants him to play.
i don't really mind his drumming, too many cymbals to my taste, and i would like him to be a bit more simple, more subtle, but he's fine to me.

I'm not fond of the firsts vids, but the ones from plainsong and last dance are really good (indeed you can really see they are more precise and less explosive as what Jason plays nowaadays with The Cure). I like it more when it's filmed from the drummer's point of view.

I could play for The Cure, but you wouldn' be able to hear disintegration live, it's too damn hard for me (the kicks)

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

I'm not huge on Jason but he is not bad n doesn't deserve bashing at all of any kind!! Great drummer but just not my thing sorry mates. I prefer Boris (My 3rd fav Cure member, Perry 2, n Pearl 1 if u were wondering) .  :oops:

I dislike modern era Cure tbh bc it's not the classic band, it's just Robert, Simon, n then some fill in's, while talented, they are fill in's imo. I kinda find it disrespectful to there legacy.

I prefer Wish era bc that is just the perfect Cure line up right there, take that line up n add Roger (He is kinda a fill in too bc he took over keys for Lol replacing Lol from the band, but I love his playing) on keys n it would be perfect Cure line up for me.

No hate n no offense n I still love the band but it's just not the same anymore, I don't care about Pearl returing bc she has her own thing going on (Ik she is my fav but I support her art soooooooo), but at least bring back Boris n Perry bc they are classic in the band n soooooooooooooooooo cute too!!  :oops: :oops: