IT'S AN 1999 ALBUM BY BLONDIE

ON THIS ALBUM YOU HAVE TWO SONGS THAT ARE 100% CURE RIP OFF:

"DOUBLE TAKE"
and
"NIGHT WIND SENT"

plus

"FORGIVE AND FORGET"

THIS SONG IS ALSO GREAT!!!

OK, IT DOES ALSO SOUND LIKE "SUPERSTITION" ERA SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES...

------------

ANY OTHER SUGESTIONS?
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

seifukusha

bits of mogwai. they admitted and Robert acknowledged it. pretty cool

Bloodflower

Some of Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" sounds ripped from A Forest.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

smitha

The Essence with a A Reflected Dream (is this the correct name? not sure). It's not rip off, but it screams out Cure 80-81 influence...

yrbadrenau

Quote from: smitha on March 05, 2007, 21:05:40
The Essence with a A Reflected Dream (is this the correct name? not sure). It's not rip off, but it screams out Cure 80-81 influence...

hum hum, The Essence is just an ersatz of cure, un plagiat as we said in french... just like Indochine (a "plagiat" from the music to the clothes and the make up... just pathetic)

34 years old,father of two children(Alia-14 & Theo-12), curefan since 1985.

Matti

What about A Perfect Circle? Not only have The Noose and Blue from The Thirteenth Step a Cure sound to them, but also a clear Cure feel...
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

Janko

Quote from: yrbadrenau on March 08, 2007, 19:17:22
Quote from: smitha on March 05, 2007, 21:05:40

hum hum, The Essence is just an ersatz of cure, un plagiat as we said in french... just like Indochine (a "plagiat" from the music to the clothes and the make up... just pathetic)

THE ESSENCE ARE GREAT BAND
I LOVE THEM
I HOPE THEY'LL MAKE IT THIS TIME AROUND BECAUSE THE CURE ARE NOT AS BIG AS THEY WERE WHEN THE ESSENCE STARTED
BUT THEN THE COMPARSIONS WILL BE LESS POSSIBLE
I WAS JUST LISTENNING TO J.T.D. DISC II AND THOUGHT: "THE CURE WILL NEVER BE THIS GOOD THIS HAPPY AND THIS COOL" AND AS I SEE IT THE ESSENCE IS TRYING TO CAPTURE THAT LATE 80'S CURE SOUND...

:D

japanesebaby

about any "sonic lookalikes":

the funeral party   vs.    the opening for the theme music for twin peaks TV series (by angelo badalamenti)

ever since i thought about this i just can't get it off my mind and i just cannot think about/listen to the one without hearing the other... ( :P/ :roll:?)
anyone else haunted by this?

not that it was any sort of rip-off, the similarity actually didn't bother me or annoy me at all. because both are so original in their own way at the same time, they are not dependent on each other at all so it doesn't even sound like the similarity was anyhow intentional anyway.
but i just never before noticed this similarity at all, even thought i had of course heard both numerous & numerous times...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

Also, the Italian darkwave band The Frozen Autumn (http://www.thefrozenautumn.com/ - Diego Merletto is a core memeber)sometimes has that heavy "Disintegration" keyboard (and bass) sound...

What a great band!

:rocker

rjl

Re: Twin Peaks: I haven't seen it in years, but "Paris and Rome" (Cranes) kind of reminds me of the theme... The bit in between the verses.

As for the topic at hand: The Chameleons, to a point, but then again, they were pretty much contemporaries. For recent bands, I heard a new single from Guster while flipping through the radio that had Cure-ish guitar. There was a Modest Mouse song that got me thinking "kinda Cure-y", but I couldn't tell you which one. The Moody Blues' "The Voice" kind of reminds me of "A Forest", if memory serves, came shortly thereafter... "Lovelife" (the song) by Lush, a little bit...

Then again, there is always:

:?

Yeah, I totally went there...

splitmilk34

Ah, the debate rages on... who stole who's song first, The Cure or New Order?  "The Walk" is quite similar to "Blue Monday" (a completely overrated and intolerable song if you ask me) and New Order stole the chord progression and melody from "Inbetween Days" for a song who's title I can't remember (such is my love for that band  :twisted:). 

Regardless, here is a list of bands with an obvious Cure influence:
Placebo, Deftones, Interpol, Mogwai, late-period Blink 182, Bloc Party, Death Cab for Cutie, Elbow, (the terrible) She Wants Revenge, Antarctica, Nirvana, Unknown Saint, and many many more.  In fact, most popular bands today have claimed some influence from The Cure.
"... sleeping less every night"

strange_day

Quote from: Matti on March 08, 2007, 21:55:51
What about A Perfect Circle? Not only have The Noose and Blue from The Thirteenth Step a Cure sound to them, but also a clear Cure feel...

Indeed, listening back to Orestes from Mer De Noms, is it not very similar to To Wish Impossible Things?

rjl

Maybe it's just me, but when I hear the Smiths' "Barbarism Begins At Home", I kind of think "Birdmad Girl".

Janko

I think it was the 'All The Way' a song from 1989's "Technique" that had the resemblence to "Just Like Heaven". The bass line is the same...

It WAS some kind of "response" to "The Walk" ... Sumner (or was it Hook) also stated that he has issues with The Cure because they stole them the German audience!  :D

"Blue Monday" and "The Walk" similarity is mostly due to new keyboard that appeared at the time... And the lines that are the same wouldnt look so alike if there wasnt that instrument... But "Blue Monday" was the first, so...

:-D

strange_day

I think the deal with The Cure and New Order comes from the fact that The Cure were basically just a better band, in terms of writing material and playing it live. All this "you stole our audience attitude" is complete rubbish. Maybe it had something to do with New Order not producing much worth while after Blue Monday? Lets face it went downhill from there and also their 8 year absense between albums.

Peter Hook isnt the only one to have played bass like that and Bernard Sumner cant sing a note, i think what it comes down to is they are just arrogant enough to think that they were the best.

People complain that The Cure arent as good as they used to be live, well they could be like New Order, Robert reading lyrics off an autocue, and Simon making mistakes every other note. The Cure live now, is better than new order have ever been.... ;)

Sorry, had to get that out of my system, it bugs me when people start on The Cure Vs. New Order....