Which is your favourite Robert vocal part?

Started by piggymirror, January 11, 2020, 04:29:44

Previous topic - Next topic

piggymirror

There are many.

Mine is New Day. That vocal is just astounding.

Other nice ones are:

-Prayers For Rain (Entreat version)
-Homesick
-Witchcraft
-Harold And Joe

Ulrich

Indeed there are (too) many.

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2020, 04:29:44-Prayers For Rain (Entreat version)

Yep that is very good!
Plus I also like the little "wooo" part he does in "Disintegration". ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on January 11, 2020, 18:57:27Indeed there are (too) many.

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2020, 04:29:44-Prayers For Rain (Entreat version)

Yep that is very good!
Plus I also like the little "wooo" part he does in "Disintegration". ;)

Mmmhmmmshmschchchchhhhhkytmmmmwwwwwwhhhheeeeekkkkknmmmm.  :1f636:  :pensive:

Er... that's not the best part of the song, I guess.

That said, not that he's Scott Walker in it. Hee, hee, haw. He just lungs it away. Woo.

One other that I like is Catch. That's a fine one.

SueC

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2020, 20:40:08Mmmhmmmshmschchchchhhhhkytmmmmwwwwwwhhhheeeeekkkkknmmmm.  :1f636:  :pensive:

Would you please provide us with an audio clip of this sound?  :angel
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

Quote from: SueC on January 12, 2020, 01:59:33Would you please provide us with an audio clip of this sound?  :angel

No. That's non-verbal.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2020, 20:40:08Er... that's not the best part of the song, I guess.

No, but it is one of my fave vocal parts!

piggymirror

SueC

Quote from: piggymirror on January 12, 2020, 09:46:07
Quote from: SueC on January 12, 2020, 01:59:33Would you please provide us with an audio clip of this sound?  :angel

No. That's non-verbal.

It should still record fine on audio anyway!  I am assuming it is a sound?  And I was so looking forward to hearing it! :lol:

...or perhaps it is internal dialogue / monologue, in which case you are excused.  :angel
SueC is time travelling

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on January 12, 2020, 09:53:11
Quote from: piggymirror on January 11, 2020, 20:40:08Er... that's not the best part of the song, I guess.

No, but it is one of my fave vocal parts!

You're talking about a live version of the song from Entreat?  I've not heard that version yet, and until I have, will be unable to comment on whether it is a sound that pleases or annoys me.  :angel

PS: If you are talking about a song off the studio album, I am thoroughly confused now...
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on January 12, 2020, 12:14:35PS: If you are talking about a song off the studio album, I am thoroughly confused now...

It's on the studio version of the song "Disintegration", it's the first thing Robert sings on it. "Woo" was a bit wrong though, it sounds more like "a-ouh"... ;)

SueC

Yes, you had me confused with the "wooo" bit!  :rofl

And I like that little sound too!  ...although it's probably a hard one to reliably replicate! :)

There's a lot of non-verbal vocal sounds I actually don't enjoy, but I do like that one!  :smth023

On the other hand, I generally don't like "wooo" sounds!   :-D

I was majorly allergic to Michael Jackson's hiccup sounds in songs, and I'm also not a fan of the so-called "millennial whoop."  ;)

And I'm totally allergic to the suction sounds on A Pink Dream.   :1f629: 
SueC is time travelling

SueC

...I just realised I've not actually answered the main question yet here, I've been responding to other people.

I have a thing for people speaking or singing in low register. Therefore, I'm a huge fan of Harold & Joe - which is excellent all-around, on top of the vocal on it.  In fact, once The Cure have attended to finishing this particular last album of theirs :winking_tongue, I would very much like to see them do a little album of Harold & Joe type songs - I think that could have been more than a one-off - I really like that style.

Of course, if all of us were to get all of our little individual wishes for what further music they should make, they would never be allowed to retire.  :angel

On the other hand, statistics show that it's quite dangerous to retire - your risk of dying increases dramatically when you retire - not just because you're generally older, but it's the actual retirement that's the problem.  It's actually good to continue to work part-time at things you enjoy for your entire life... and therefore, it may not be wholly unreasonable to make wish lists regarding further releases from the band.   :)

More vocal parts I really like:  I thought that the performance of Pirate Ships at the Opera House was exceedingly lovely.  I had goosebumps all over me at the end of it...

I like a lot of the vocal stuff Robert Smith does, and I think he's become a better singer as he's gotten older, and that he articulates better as well these days.  I was not a fan of the nasal type singing he was doing early on and this is one reason I didn't like this band when I was a teenager (another is that I was only hearing the radio songs).  I like the fact that he's experimented with styles and genres and that he's obviously continued to learn throughout these four decades.  He genuinely is a very good vocalist, and I really can't say that about most people in contemporary music.

The very first Cure song that ever impressed the hell out of me was Lullaby.  It was getting airplay when I was a university student and I remember dropping everything to sit down and close my eyes and listen whenever that happened to be on the radio - and there weren't that many songs I would respond to like this.  It's the whole musical theatre and black humour of the piece, the gorgeous melodies, the layering of sound, the creepy edge, and that theatrical vocal performance as well, half serious, half tongue in cheek (or so it sounds to me).  And if I'd had the cash to buy the album it was off at that point, I might well have become a Cure fan 25 years earlier. :)

...it's late and I'm sure there's dozens more things I could be mentioning if I wasn't like this:   :1f634:  :1f634:  :1f634:

I might have to add to my answer when I'm more awake...

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on January 12, 2020, 15:11:12I like a lot of the vocal stuff Robert Smith does, and I think he's become a better singer as he's gotten older...

Yeah well, that's the problem with the question; I should go and listen to all the Cure songs again and pin down those which have the best vocal parts - but afterwards, I still wouldn't be sure and start all over again.  :persevere:

BiscuityBoyle

A few that come to mind...

2 Late (though the effect is created by the mix as much as by his murmur/whisper)
Pictures of You
Close to Me
Mr Alphabet Says
Lullaby

Usually it's the ones where his musical invention and dynamism come to the fore rather than anything specifically "vocal".

nerdiee

I love Robert's vocals not only for his aTyPiCaLiTy, but also for the fact that he sings very emotionally, sometimes adding some little funny sounds, murmur or whispers

today, the initial part "wrong number" plays in my head all day
I love the way he sings - "lime green, lime green and tAngErInE~~"
just like that, ahah, I love it :yum: 

I also really love the vocals of the unreleased song that he sang for the cartoon "Frankenweenie" (be sure to listen to this on YouTube, the song is called "Witchcraft", it's just excellent, he sings so deeply.. )
Another list of my favorite vocals:
-open(I don't know, his voice in this song is so pleasant and immersive that you just want to swallow it, I don't know how to explain this aaahhgg!!)
-end( ".. please stop loving me
please stop loving me.." yeah, I really love it, he also sings it with some kind of sound effect.. and it's all a bit like shoegaze)
-close to me(firstly, his breath is in the background, secondly, he sings with emotions, at some moments even in a strangled voice - this very well conveys the feeling of approaching danger and claustrophobia)
-dressing up(this is very bizarre and lovely, just admit it)
-prayers for rain(again same, here such expression!!)
-the same deep water as you(this is my favorite song and he sings it so touching... he sings like he's crying)
-Out of mind(I love this crazy style of singing)
God, I think this way I will list all the songs, because I just really like Robert's vocals, when I heard this for the first time as a child, I thought "woow..what a dreamy music .. and this voice, so emotional, I have never heard such voise before.."

ok ok, the last thing I'll say

I love Forever (this is the version from the album "The Top")
because that's the way he sings.. not just singing, he literally screams, it's just WOOOW, especially when he screams "But it's the same
So that's shame
But it's the same
But that's shame"
there are soo many emotions here, I love it ooo yeah, I don't know how to put it into words... but sometimes you also want to grab your hair and scream with him in despair and shame ".. but it's the same
so that's shame.."
that it!
teach me how to swim at the same deep water as you