Cure sound on other people's songs

Started by Janko, January 23, 2007, 05:08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnage Visor

Ah, it just occured to me...

If you like The Cure's sound, you might want to check out bands like "The Sound", "And Also The Trees", or some early Colin Newman (from "Wire"...also a good band)

Check 'em all out. Keep Siouxsie and Cocteau Twins as your fallback!

frog_s

I downloaded this song some time ago called
Let's Get Ready To Crumble by The Russian Futurists. I thought it sounded very Cure-y, especially the beginning. Anyway, I think I read some time ago as well that they were influenced allot by The Cure's music, but I might remember wrong.

Cheers

PrettyToy712

the band "this Empty Flow" sounds like the Cure a lot in their instrumentation -  especially the song "Useless" which you can hear on this myspace page

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=76203450

the song takes about 10 seconds before it is even really audible, but it's a great track.

jbud1980

NWA's 'Straight Outta Compton' sounds suspiciously like 'Lovecats'. Lol, c'mon, have a sense of humor, but seriously, I have also heard that Mogwai has been "influenced" by The Cure.

revolt

Quote from: Carnage Visor on April 18, 2008, 02:12:04
If you like The Cure's sound, you might want to check out bands like "The Sound", "And Also The Trees"

Now, here is some great piece of advice. In particular as regards AATT, which also have many Cure-relations in their history as a band... If I get the chance, maybe I´ll write something more about this great band soon.

revolt

Regarding the whole New Order vs. The Cure controversy...

The songs 'This Time of Night' and 'Sunrise', both from New Order´s 'Low-Life' album (released in 1985, and a good record, by the way) borrow freely from The Cure´s 'A Forest'... One of them uses a keyboard intro that is clearly reminiscent of the intro to 'A Forest', and the other one is based on a (keyboard) bassline that immediately recalls the most famous of Simon Gallup's basslines.

Check them out and tell me I´m wrong!   ;)

hharkey

i think robert could sing anything and i'd be pretty happy with it.

still ill life

Hehe, you want a tip of a band which sounds cure-y? The swedish band Strip Music. They've made two really great albums, so check them out. If only for one song, "Lucy" is the most cure-y song of them all. They've admitted that they wanted to do something which sounded like a "Disintegration" track, and that they might as well do it full out (or what you call it...) instead of holding back on it.

still ill life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFF3OvBR94

This also sounds kind of Cure-y I think, and it's a great song. It's Nick Cave on vocals, pre-Birthday Party.

revolt

Opeth are not the kind of band that I would think are influenced by The Cure in general, but they do have one particular song that has something of The Cure about it. And it happens to be one of their most accomplished and applauded songs: 'Face of Melinda'.

Here is the You Tube link for a live version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAStBwVTAfg

Starting at 2:12, there is a moody melodic descending guitar motive that recurs over the first part of the song and that has something about it that recalls the main guitar (5-string bass?) melody in 'The Same Deep Water as You'...
It's not a rip-off, but both melodies could easily have been written by the same band (Cureth? Opure?  :-D )

Lostflowerboy

If you like The Cure's sound, you might want to check out bands like "The Sound", "And Also The Trees", or some early Colin Newman (from "Wire"...also a good band)

"The Sound" are really one of the most forgotten great bands of new wave, and please don't confuse them with "The Sounds".  ;)

Another underrated band, still existing, are Human television. Maybe not obviously sounding like the Cure (especially the singer sounds completely different than Robert), but the overall mood and instrumentation is very 1985-87 Cure-ish. I love that band!

What do you think?
http://www.myspace.com/humantelevision

revolt

Quote from: Lostflowerboy on July 23, 2008, 13:13:38

"The Sound" are really one of the most forgotten great bands of new wave, and please don't confuse them with "The Sounds".  ;)

Another underrated band, still existing, are Human television. Maybe not obviously sounding like the Cure (especially the singer sounds completely different than Robert), but the overall mood and instrumentation is very 1985-87 Cure-ish. I love that band!

What do you think?
http://www.myspace.com/humantelevision

Well, maybe. I checked parts of the 4 songs displayed there and there might be something of the Cure in the guitars, at least in a couple of them. But it probably reminds me more of 80's indie guitar pop in general... Maybe Go-Betweens or something like that?

Lostflowerboy

Yes, they definitely have that 80ies Indie-touch, Go-betweens fits well also in my oppinion. I'd also say, they are not too far away from Orange juice (former band of Edwyn Collins).

Typical Cure moments for me are the guitars that fade in at 0:48 in "In front of yourhouse", that chime at 1:19 in "I laughed" and the whole instrumentation and melody of "I forgot" (just listen to the intro!)
Some songs on their album also have a Cure-like structure, e.g. a 3 minute intro that slowly builds up before the vocals start and a lack of the typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure.
Highly recommended. ;)

KingOfSomeIsland

Quote from: jbud1980 on May 19, 2008, 06:14:35I have also heard that Mogwai has been "influenced" by The Cure.

Well one just has to listen to the Wish and Bloodflowers instrumental demos (Lost Wishes/Lost Flowers) to realize that. Seriously when I first heard those tracks I was like, Wow this sounds like alot of the stuff that Mogwai does, Like almost creepy similar. In fact one time I was listening to a song on Young Team and started singing Pictures of You at the same time and it matched up really well

revolt

I think that The Cult's "Nirvana", from 1985, has a basic chord sequence that resembles "A Short Term Effect":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs7n5CdTk1s