why do you think the band appeal do such a diverse mix of people?

Started by Dillinger, April 16, 2007, 02:00:28

Previous topic - Next topic

rjl

Years back, in high school, I was forced to take a public speaking course. As much as I dreaded the concept, I really wanted out of a writing course I was taking, and it was the only way they'd let me. At one point, we had to read a poem or essay out loud. I chose "How Beautiful You Are", and it worked brilliantly.

As a "poem" by, Robert Smith, the, uh, famous contemporary English poet.

strange_day

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 18, 2007, 22:37:54
and since 1+1 makes 2 (or 2+2 makes 4 as i understand the english speaking nations tend to say - strangely! :P) this does tend to enhance the overall experience.

Haha, do we?  ;) im thinking more 2+2 = 5, but thats another band entirely  :smth020
English people are strange though, i'll give you that. We do drink lots of tea and have dreadful taste in most things, but i suppose some good bands have come from all that negativeness (The Cure anyone?)

Quote from: rjl on April 19, 2007, 00:15:25
Years back, in high school, I was forced to take a public speaking course. As much as I dreaded the concept, I really wanted out of a writing course I was taking, and it was the only way they'd let me. At one point, we had to read a poem or essay out loud. I chose "How Beautiful You Are", and it worked brilliantly.

As a "poem" by, Robert Smith, the, uh, famous contemporary English poet.

That sounds like a great idea, i wish i had done something similar now in my high-school days.
Going back to original point though, i also think the way Robert sings is another reason people like them so much. Hes got a very strong accent, but somehow hes singing brilliantly without murdering every note like so many singers do. Kind of mix between simplicity and power that hes got in that voice, hes often described as singing from his throat, but if you listen to it live, its coming very much from inside and theres a lot of power behind it....eg. Entreat - Prayers For Rain. For someone who isnt credited as a 'singer' very often, thats a pretty amazing vocal performance.

rjl

The choice to use that song in class was out of sheer necessity, as I hadn't prepared anything and luckily had the KMKMKM CD in my backpack!

lostflower4

Quote from: rjl on April 19, 2007, 04:35:59
The choice to use that song in class was out of sheer necessity, as I hadn't prepared anything and luckily had the KMKMKM CD in my backpack!

You should have chosen The Kiss then... Or maybe Shiver and Shake. :lol:

Dillinger

rjl

Complete with 3+ minutes of silence at the start, and the F-bomb. 

:smth023