Your Top Movies & Recommendations

Started by dsanchez, July 11, 2007, 00:34:22

Previous topic - Next topic

melly

Watched that 300 movie last night, you know, about the Spartans.. I am undecided if I like it or not, which is unusual for me, it's either love or despise when it comes to films.. Hmm.. Rather blood thirsty, but there was something oddly intruiging about the film..*scratching head*...

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

Meddy

OMG!  I absolutely loved 300!  I am not one for violent movies and the likes, but I thought the computer generation was fantastic.  I ditched out of work the day it was released at the theaters, and it was well worth it.  I totally agree that it's one of those movies you either love or you don't.
"I want to live deeply, and suck the marrow from life." HDT

~*CherryRed*~

I haven't seen 300, and I can't really remember why I stayed away from it - is it to do with Romans? I find the 'hollywood' take on 'history' to be VERY ANNOYING. After I watched Troy, I've decided to keep away from 'em! (Although in that films favour, I must say that jump/stab move that Brad Pitt does is really COOL!). I'm thinking I will have to see Beowulf for the pure genius in the animation... I just watched the trailers (and the restricted ones too!) and I'm keen to go to the movies right now!

In fact, bugger this... I'm off!!!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

melly

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on December 02, 2007, 03:16:06
I haven't seen 300, and I can't really remember why I stayed away from it - is it to do with Romans? I find the 'hollywood' take on 'history' to be VERY ANNOYING. After I watched Troy, I've decided to keep away from 'em! (Although in that films favour, I must say that jump/stab move that Brad Pitt does is really COOL!). I'm thinking I will have to see Beowulf for the pure genius in the animation... I just watched the trailers (and the restricted ones too!) and I'm keen to go to the movies right now!

In fact, bugger this... I'm off!!!

300 is about the Spartans ( which regularly gets shouted,, we are SPARTANS!!) and their fight against the Persians... nothing like Troy, nothing at all.... maybe watch it, see what you think..it's different!!

Hope you enjoyed the movies too!
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

ROGUE

I watched "Heavy Metal 2000" last night which was an animation movie, very graphic sexually and with alot of violence :smth067, made from the point of view
of feminism, it seamed. :smth072 That mostly had little clothes on and big boobs. (actually all the women were like that- maybe men mostly made it after all)
  Was on t.v. late at night, and was strangely captivating. Set in space, somewhere ?   :shock:

at the end had a song, that sounded like Billy Idol- sure enough it was.  Must be a new song, sounded older and i had never heard it.

But i wouldnt go out and hire it, sadly alot better than anything i seen on commercial t.v. for a long time, :smth011      boring-get me to the DVD library fast. this entry sucked !!

Lady

Yesterday disintegration and I saw "1408".....wow, it's so scary and full of suspance!!! :shock:
Very good movie!!! :smth023
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

disintegration

Quote from: Lady on December 06, 2007, 11:35:09
Yesterday disintegration and I saw "1408".....wow, it's so scary and full of suspance!!! :shock:
Very good movie!!! :smth023
Stephen King!  :smth023
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

ROGUE

1408 ` nice and spookey  :shock:  :smth023

~*CherryRed*~

Well I saw Beowulf. I LOVED IT!

I would recommend everyone to see it. But keep your remembrances of the poem at the door. As with all 'hollywood' things it doesn't follow it to the letter. If that is at all possible anyway really - and you'll no what I mean if you've read Beowulf. I have to admit, I read it years ago, so my memory of it is slightly hazy anyway! I found the CGI's really really good. They put alot of detail into it, for example you could see hairs on Beowulf's nose! And using the system of spots on the actors faces, so the computer can read the shape and movement, really worked well in my opinion. I thought maybe using John Malkovich was an odd choice. But he seems to be popping up in the strangest places anyway! I liked the way Grendel and his mother spoke to each other. And as I can't recall how the poem ends, I'm not sure if they have left an op. for another film or not. I think I will have to pull out my book of Beowulf and attempt another read! The website for the film is really good also!
http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

One complaint (and I always managed to find at least one!) I have is that they never showed Beowulf's manhood, if you know what I mean. And I always find this extremely irritating in films. They never have a problem with the female form, but as far as men go - LOL you'll hardly ever get to see a willy! Not that I'm fussed either way. But in Beowulf, I found the way they hid him away, really took away from the moment and turned it into something comical. It reminded me of that Austin powers bit, when Liz Hurley used things like fruit to hide Mike Myer's 'down there area'! And I really think if they had've just relaxed and let Beowulf be seen nude, the flow would've been far better. Also, as I'm female I did find Beowulf highly attractive, and I did want to see him naked! Hehehehe!

We saw the trailer for 1408 before Beowulf started. That will be my next film I think. The trailer really hooked me in! And Stephen King hardly ever disappoints! PLus you guys in here have confirmed that it really is creepy..... COOL! :smth047 /color]

melly

CherryRed...  I didn't even know there was a Beowulf book!! Thoroughly enjoyed the dvd though, as stated already...such amazing technology!!
and YES 1408 is BRILLIANT!!!  makes the hair on your arms and on the back of the neck stand upright..love it!! There is also a "message" in the story...consequences....
Although when we turned the dvd off, ready for  :smth015, and the house was in darkness, the night time noises seemed a little more disturbing than usual...!   :shock:   Stephen King just knows how to make your nerves jingle!!  :smth037

this DEFINATELY goes on to my top 7 list!!

Lady

Quote from: scatcat on November 30, 2007, 16:17:34
oh yes... What's Eating Gilbert Grape!! great film.. AND I HAVE yet to comment on Edward Scissorhands.. Tim Burton films .....
I love JohnnyDepp!! Secret Window I love.. (I may have mentioned that one before??) :smth060 :smth049 :smth049 :smth049
Tim Burton is great!!!!He's the best!!! I love all his movies!!!!!!!! :smth023 :smth049 :-D
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: melly on December 14, 2007, 01:53:49
CherryRed...  I didn't even know there was a Beowulf book!! Thoroughly enjoyed the dvd though, as stated already...such amazing technology!!
and YES 1408 is BRILLIANT!!!  makes the hair on your arms and on the back of the neck stand upright..love it!! There is also a "message" in the story...consequences....
Although when we turned the dvd off, ready for  :smth015, and the house was in darkness, the night time noises seemed a little more disturbing than usual...!   :shock:   Stephen King just knows how to make your nerves jingle!!  :smth037

this DEFINATELY goes on to my top 7 list!!

Hehehehehe, I have since gone back to the Cinema and seen 1408. (they love my money there!)
WOW! It has been literally AGES since I have seen a film and not been able to find ANYTHING to complain about! I have this (bad?) habit, where I can find fault in everything! I guess I fancy myself as some sort of low grade critic! (for example, in Beowulf the not showing his willy, really annoyed me!) It has been such a long time (for me anyway) for a film to actually scare me, and although I wasn't terrified (as I'm an adult, apparently!), I was on tender hooks for the majority of it! Which is really good for a change. Not many films have 'that' these days! Viva La S. King!!

I saw the shorts for 'I am Legend' with Will Smith, and that looks like another 'zombie' movie, with the lone surviver trying to make it through every night and find others survivors etc... which has been done to death, so I might bypass that one. Also I saw the shorts for a film by the 'Lost' man JJ Abrams. It's called Cloverfield, and is a monster flick from what I can gather! I started to watch Lost, but got so fed up with them never getting to the point of it all, that I gave up on it. I also had the same 'issue' with Twin Peaks! LOL, remember Twin Peaks everyone? (circa 1990, for you young'uns!!!). Anyway, the shorts were very annoying with the quick cut editing. So I'm not sure if that one will be any good either. I might have to ask you guys to go see it for me! Be my early screening process, weed out the crap for me! hehehehe.

Meddy

I just saw I Am Legend with Will Smith this past Saturday.  I wasn't sure what to expect, however, I do have to say I was rather impressed.  I think he did a fantastic job in one of the major scenes, and I have to say that I teared up because I could completely feel his pain.  The medical concepts and ideas are rather interesting and it really makes you think.  And for those of you who haven't seen it.  They aren't really zombies.  Oooh, goosebumps.  I just may have to go and see it again...I recommend it, if you are a person who enjoys finding the actual meaning behind movies. :smth001
"I want to live deeply, and suck the marrow from life." HDT

Carnage Visor

My friend just got me a present today, I opened it at school during Advisory (Home Room)

It was "CUJO" by Stephen King!!!

I was surprised, he was acting like a total jackass the day before because I opted to watching Tim Burton's "NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS" at school instead of "A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM"...he had brought the latter in to show the class, but it was so wimpy and dated that I could hardly take it.

I figured since the big X-MAS was coming up, we should watch something with Holiday flair that also had cool animated characters in a gothic setting, and I thought there was nothing better than good old Jack Skellington to do the trick!

Unfortunately he took it to offense and told me I was a horrible friend and I was ruining his life...um...you figure that one out!  :?

Ugh...I hate Shakespear... :roll:

~*CherryRed*~

Quote from: Meddy on December 19, 2007, 03:16:41
I just saw I Am Legend with Will Smith this past Saturday.  I wasn't sure what to expect, however, I do have to say I was rather impressed.  I think he did a fantastic job in one of the major scenes, and I have to say that I teared up because I could completely feel his pain.  The medical concepts and ideas are rather interesting and it really makes you think.  And for those of you who haven't seen it.  They aren't really zombies.  Oooh, goosebumps.  I just may have to go and see it again...I recommend it, if you are a person who enjoys finding the actual meaning behind movies. :smth001

Hmm, maybe I should give it a go then hey?!