Poe

Quote from: Hero on April 21, 2008, 22:56:56
Its a really good song! Im seeing them in may too!! :smth023

:shock:

Okay, we'll both say where we're gonna go see them, on the count of three:

one,
two,
STOCKHOLM!

Bet that's not where you're heading huh? Shucks... ;)
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

Poe

CLT: House of Cards.

By the way, doesn't All I Need sound an awful lot like Roygbiv by Boards of Canada?
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

Hero

Aww, i wish i was going to Stockholm, slightly more exotic than BIRMINGHAM!  ;)

CLT:Siouxsie & the Banshees ~ Voodoo Dolly

Janko

TIGER LILLIES - THE BROTHEL TO THE CEMETARY

AWESOME BAND!!! AWESOME MUSIC!!! AWESOME CONCEPT!!!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

crowbi_wan

Discipline
Brand spankin' new NIN  :rocker

Download it for free from the official site http://dl.nin.com/discipline/nin

frog_s

CLT: Fink, which is actually my second fav band at the mome :o anyone here that enjoys that kinda stuff?

Cheers

melly

and this thread is where the generation gap more resembles a chasm!! I read these posts but have never even heard of most of the bands/artists... *sigh*
Guess there's a simple answer hey? Keep away from this thread ya old bag!! hahaha
ok ok I get the hint....  :smth016
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

tigermilk

Quote from: melly on April 26, 2008, 04:13:46
and this thread is where the generation gap more resembles a chasm!! I read these posts but have never even heard of most of the bands/artists... *sigh*
Guess there's a simple answer hey? Keep away from this thread ya old bag!! hahaha
ok ok I get the hint....  :smth016

I don't know a lot of these bands either and I'm only 25, I guess it depends where you live and what you have access to. Although iTunes is helping a lot of people discover new bands with their iStore. Check out 'The Daysleepers'. They are an incredible new band from New York who are so dreamy and addictive. Their myspace page has a free song to download and about 6 to listen to. And they have two EP's available on iTunes. I seem to be into a lot of shoegaze music at the moment... think Mazzy Star, Cocteau Twins, My Bloody Valentine, Thrushes, Celebration, Alcian Blue... check out my myspace page at
www.myspace.com/idontblameyou
have a look at my top friends who are bands and see if you like them! They all have songs to listen to :)

melly

very impressive tigermilk! Thanks for that, I have listened to a couple of tracks from some of the artists you have there...excellent! I'll listen to more when I have a little more time up my sleeve, but really likes some of them!
Now, without trying to appear too daft...what is "shoegaze" music?? It conjures up staring at ones feet whilst dancing..?? 
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

tigermilk

The name was coined in a review in "Sounds" of a concert that the singer read lyrics taped to the floor throughout the gig. The term was picked up by the New Musical Express, who used it as a reference to the tendency of the bands' guitarists to stare at their feet (or their effects pedals, these pedals create the reverb and distortion sounds), seemingly deep in concentration, while playing. Melody Maker preferred the more staid term The Scene That Celebrates Itself, referring to the habit which the bands had of attending gigs of other shoegazing bands, and often moonlighting in each other's bands. The shoegazing sound featured extensive use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. Common musical elements in shoegazing are distortion (aka "fuzzbox"), droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Another part of shoegaze was "Dream pop". It was a more ambient and abstract take on folk and pop music. It was pioneered by Cocteau Twins (who are my second favourite all-time band after The Cure) and This Mortal Coil, who took advantages of the improvements in studio technology in the previous decades to create a new strain of pop music with a hazy, ethereal sound. Dream Pop proved to be highly influential on the shoegazing scene that emerged in the early nineties, and certain acts straddle the two styles, though shoegaze can be distinguished by its noisier, psychedelic sound. I can send you some mix CDs if you'd like?
:)

Janko

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

melly

wow! Thanks tigermilkfor that info!! Very interesting! Of course, when u think about it, there are many guitar players who "look down"..my ex was a bass player and he ALWAYS did that!
Thanks for the offer of some cds, I really appreciate it, a very kind thought on your behalf... I might just listen to a few more tracks; am I permitted to take the ones I like? you know, burn a couple myself?
such kind people here... :-D