Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

...brilliant track, brilliant album!

I love that there's some like-minded Bowie fans in this forum!! 🙂

I'm still in awe about the vast range of what he created ...an undefinable genius!
Recently I've been on a Bowie 80's spree...  The lyrics in Time Will Crawl I find immensely interesting, and I really love that song. ... The video for Blue Jean is one of the best things EVER! ... The vocals in Cat People always blows my mind!  😺😺😺

...he's gonna get the faculty together!!  Wooohoooo!!

https://youtu.be/YWX_MFNOL_Y

"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

"Sound & Vision" was a song I really loved when I borrowed the "BowieChanges" album from a mate around 1990. Around the same time, I listened a lot to The Cure's "Seventeen Seconds" (as I'd just bought the vinyl in '89); when I read that RS said it was inspired (partly) by Bowie's "Low", I became increasingly interested, so I bought the "Low" remastered cd which was released in '91. (Been a "fan" of that album ever since.)

Btw, here's a newly re-recorded Bowie song from '87, featuring Reeves:
Quote"The ultimate happy-go-lucky rock tune, based in the nonsensical period of psychedelia," Mario McNulty, longtime Bowie engineer and overseer of Never Let Me Down 2018, said in a statement. "Stripping this song down to its core revealed a track that could have been right at home on Hunky Dory, I kept Peter Frampton's sitar (which was originally owned by Jimi Hendrix) as it still fits against the new guitars from Reeves Gabrels."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-revamped-version-of-david-bowies-1987-song-zeroes-702638/
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

Ulrich

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-the-doors-rare-hello-i-love-you-rough-mix-704453/
What a great opener, 'Hello, I love you, tell me your name,'" the Doors' drummer John Densmore says. "Like, whoa, OK. That's aggressive. You're in love with me but you don't know my credentials?"

He laughs and says that kind of pickup line was not frontman Jim Morrison's style at all, even if he did write the lyrics. "He was sort of 'Southern shy,'" the drummer says. "Well, if he got loaded, he got a little more open – a little too open sometimes." But when he wrote the lyrics that would become "Hello, I Love You" – a Number One single off the band's Waiting for the Sun LP – it was more from a place of hope than actual bravado. "It's about an African-American girl he saw on the boardwalk in Venice," he says. "'Do you hope to make her see you, fool?/Do you hope to pluck this dusky jewel?'" He laughs again. "Who puts words like that to rock & roll? Only Jim."

The song will be getting a second life when Rhino Records reissues the seven-inch on Friday, the 50th anniversary of when the song went to Number One.

After it topped the chart, the song lived on through covers by many other artists who wanted to put their own spin on it. Jazz drummer Buddy Rich turned it into a big-band raveup, the Cure made it more of a straight-ahead rock song, and Missing Persons refashioned it as a New Wave odyssey, among others.

MeltingMan

Reed & Caroline - Dark Matter (Official Video)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Ulrich

chemicaloverload

chemicaloverload

chemicaloverload

The Offspring- The Noose

MeltingMan

(inspired by a recent post)

The Police - Message in a Bottle
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich