Robert Smith: "Jason is the best drummer The Cure has ever had"

Started by Tof, August 09, 2007, 02:23:55

Previous topic - Next topic

silversand

It was really nice what Robert has written about Jason :)
Both have their different styles and that is good so! Times are changing.
Now Jason is the drummer and not Boris.

Boris has done a great job when he was in the band, and Jason does a great one now!!  :)

hush

"SILLY ME!

8/13/2007 9:09:24 AM - by CURE:ROBERT

I JUST GOT SENT A FUNNY EMAIL WITH THIS TAGGED ON THE END...

Stylus Magazine on the other hand, thinks differently:
45. Lol Tolhurst / Boris Williams

(IN RESPONSE TO ME AIRING AN OPINION THAT BORIS IS A WONDERFUL DRUMMER BUT JASON IS EVEN MORE WONDERFUL... )

FOR A MOMENT THERE I HAD THE IDIOT IDEA I KNEW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT! ABSURD!

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES TO STYLUS MAGAZINE AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT CURE DRUMMERS THAN I DO...

CRETINS ALL!
DUBBADUBADUBBACHUCK
RSX"

lolol.

lostflower4

Even though Lol's skills were quite limited, I think he put a lot more passion into his playing, which in turn showed in the music. So yes, it's still this for me:

1) Boris
2) Andy
3) Lol
4) Jason

And Jason is a VERY distant fourth there - sorry.

closedown

Quote from: Tof on August 09, 2007, 02:23:55
ANYONE THAT STILL GOES ON ABOUT BORIS
REALLY DOESNT GET IT...
AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT CURE DRUMMERS THAN I DO...

this is what totally gets on my nerves, Robert has become one of the most narrow minded persons - why allow people to have a different opinion... nah, there is just 2 rules...
1. Robert Smith is always right
2. If Robert Smith isn't available, go back to rule No 1...

skills or no skills, who cares, it is what makes the songs, I have always been a fan of the way Lol contributed to the early songs, a more drummachine orientated drumming, that is why I like that the most.
without any doubt Boris is an excellent drummer, Andy and Jason were/are good drummers as well. the thing I dislike about Jason's drumming is his constant cymbal bashing, can't stand that at all... but obviously that is personal seen, others may like that - but I'd never say Lol was the best drummer + everyone who has a different opinion should f**k off...
the second part of Robert's quote sounds to me like a little boy who was stolen his teddybear... or 2 3 year old whining cause his mother won't buy him a strawberry icecream...

lostflower4

A few years back, I could also imagine Robert ranting about the whole Perry vs. Porl issue and how "Perry was the greatest guitarist to ever be in the band, period," and how we have to stop living in the past.

And then now... :lol:

rjl

The dude is clearly losing it.

And I'm not talking about the Boris v. Jason issue.

Every CURE:ROBERT post gets increasingly more insane, in wording & tone.

lostflower4

Quote from: rjl on August 14, 2007, 18:35:30

So I guess the next album is going to suck then. :(

crowbi_wan

Quote from: lostflower4 on August 14, 2007, 18:40:19

According to Robert, the drumming won't  :lol:

rjl

Quote from: lostflower4 on August 14, 2007, 18:40:19
Quote from: rjl on August 14, 2007, 18:35:30

Not necessarily. I mean, look at Syd Barrett (well, to a point, and only for a short while) and Anton Newcombe.

rjl

[labyrinth]

oh c'mon..
they're words... on the web, nothing more.

silversand

Haven't you thought that the post from Robert about the article of the Stylus Magazine wasn't meant serious???  :)

I think that wasn't meant serious. Robert has a very good sense of humour :)

rjl

If that's directed at any of my comments, of course he's being a bit light-hearted and is writing with some humor. I was merely commenting on his posts / his phrasing. And I don't actually mean that he's losing his mind. He's being playful. Although it does make him sound like a lunatic.

silversand

I'm sorry, i've meant it generally rjl :)

I wanted to ask around if that didn't catch someone's eye nothing more  :)

rjl

Well, in that case, yeah, I completely see it from his point of view - it's his band.

And, despite my preference of Boris, there really has never been a bad Cure line-up, as far as I see. They've all "worked", although this time around I'd prefer either the addition keyboards or simply an all-out guitar show. No backing tracks.

Backing tracks are great when you can't find enough people to play (been there, done that, and they are a **** to play to if you don't have any way to reliably cue them on demand), but when you're the Cure?

However, I guess it's better than hiring just a "hired-hand", "no name" type of player. I'd hate to see the Cure devolving from a "band" to an "act".