Roger vs. Us

Started by lostflower4, October 05, 2005, 23:01:48

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Today is definitely an interesting day for me. I was just speaking to someone who has filmed a lot of "unofficial" Cure concerts. I asked him if it was nervewracking to be standing in the audience with a camera, always on the watch for security guards. He said yes, and noted it's even harder to get by with in the United States compared to Europe.

Then something he said really sent me off. He was recording the Cologne show last summer, and Roger spotted him in the audience. Roger then sent the security guards after him. With that, I've lost all respect for Roger, and I'm more than glad he's out of the band. I never really cared for him anyway. A great keyboardist yes, but I don't think The Cure needs a ecstatic tambourine player on stage! Sorry.

Funny that Robert doesn't care about any of this stuff. Sometimes it looks like he's smiling right into camera, even for bootleg stuff. I always knew Roger had a problem with boots, but that's just going over the line! :twisted:

ron

This is sad to hear.  What a Saint he is becoming...

crowbi_wan

caley, i agree.  i filmed some of the encores from the everett show last summer with simon staring right at.  he obviously saw me and didn't care.  have you seen the drowning man?  he was perched like a gargyole 10 feet in front of me.

and yes, roger did have a problem with boots.  i remember reading somewhere that he thought bootlegs were the reason bloodflowers had poor album sales.

i miss roger's playing, but not his views on bootlegs.

splitmilk34

I don't understand why any band has a problem with bootleg concerts.  I agree that downloading copyright protected material from actual albums is wrong, I don't see any harm in someone taping a show... the sound quality isn't mind blowing anyway.  The band has already received MORE than enough money for the fans that are at the show, so what's the harm?  I am a little disgusted with Roger, or anyone else with that kind of bad attitude.
"... sleeping less every night"

Tristan Berlin

Quote from: splitmilk34I don't understand why any band has a problem with bootleg concerts.  I agree that downloading copyright protected material from actual albums is wrong, I don't see any harm in someone taping a show... the sound quality isn't mind blowing anyway.  The band has already received MORE than enough money for the fans that are at the show, so what's the harm?  I am a little disgusted with Roger, or anyone else with that kind of bad attitude.

100% agree with you  :wink:
Very poor of Roger  :(

Plainsong

And meanwhile Robert tells jokes because "On the bootleg that's going to sound HILARIOUS!" (Lieven '92, anyone?).
I think we know his feelings on the matter.;)

lostflower4

Quote from: PlainsongAnd meanwhile Robert tells jokes because "On the bootleg that's going to sound HILARIOUS!" (Lieven '92, anyone?).

Yep. And during the famous Torino '89 show, after Pictures of You, he says, "I should really start saying where we are so when all the bootlegs come out, you get the place right. This is Torino."

:-D

Tristan Berlin

Quote from: lostflower4
Quote from: PlainsongAnd meanwhile Robert tells jokes because "On the bootleg that's going to sound HILARIOUS!" (Lieven '92, anyone?).

Yep. And during the famous Torino '89 show, after Pictures of You, he says, "I should really start saying where we are so when all the bootlegs come out, you get the place right. This is Torino."

How did you understand that?  :D  It's very difficult to understand it because Rob speaks so fast und not clearly but....cool Statement  :wink:

lostflower4

Quote from: Tristan Berlin

How did you understand that?  :D  It's very difficult to understand it because Rob speaks so fast und not clearly but....cool Statement  :wink:

I think I have really good hearing. Not always a good thing. It makes listening to bootlegs quite unpleasant a lot of the time. :evil:

arielcc

Hum Going back to the bootleg problem!! i have mixed emotions about this, sometimes i feel glad somebody tapes and share concerts! but most of the time the tapers make lots of money before sharing the shows,  i wouldnt like somebody else to make money with my work!!

a week ago i saw one webmaster updating his cure show list with lots of stuff from this forum, and he/she still keeps this message in his site, asking for money for the shows.  because he/she works hard paying postal services to get these shows from europe or elsewhere!! Here in lima i know two second hand record stores selling videos and shows taken from this site!! i just think about it, that is the reason i started to share with you, i went to another southamerican country and noticed something similar is happening! so i feel bad about this!

I dont think Robert doesnt care, i think he is to old to worry about that (and has enought money too) but he can not do anything to stop this, then he has to say these jokes that i understand are ironic and not  that he agrees with bootlegers!

ppl making money of somebody else's work!!

a good name for a cure song?

ariex

ps: anyway, wait a little bit for a new and wild update in my little cure site!!

roberta

i remember that once i was filming simon talking with some fans and he said me to turn off the camera. i really don't care about that, simon is still great and so is roger... great musician and great person. i don't change my opinion about them because of a bootleg.

wish

i agree with you caley
music is the best

lostflower4

Quote from: crowbi_wancaley, i agree.  i filmed some of the encores from the everett show last summer with simon staring right at.  he obviously saw me and didn't care.  have you seen the drowning man?  he was perched like a gargyole 10 feet in front of me.

and yes, roger did have a problem with boots.  i remember reading somewhere that he thought bootlegs were the reason bloodflowers had poor album sales.

i miss roger's playing, but not his views on bootlegs.

Cool, I didn't know you were the one who filmed those. I think everyone's seen it! :P

I don't think bootlegs have anything to do with album sales. Internet sharing of official material without question hurts album sales, but I doubt many Cure fans were waiting for a good live bootleg to come out instead of buying Bloodflowers. :-D

monghi

this is pretty interesting topic ... you know... bootlegs are really interesting stuff, especially for fans from countries where The Cure never played... like in my country... and trading with bootlegs for money??? What a shame!!!
i never said i would stay to the end

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wani filmed some of the encores from the everett show last summer with simon staring right at.

Cool, I didn't know you were the one who filmed those. I think everyone's seen it! :P

well i haven't seen it... now i wonder if that makes me a 'no-one' then??  :smt017  ;-)

i don't miss roger as a person a slightest bit too. don't like him any more now.
besides, keyboard players are suspicious folk anyway (believe me, i should know!  :wink: )...

and yes, the moment someone starts swinging a tambourine on stage he ends up in the same category with a certain a. fletcher from a certain dm band ("look mom, i can play without even touching my instrument!") and...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine