Robert Smith recommends you to get the latest Twilight Sad album

Started by dsanchez, January 23, 2019, 13:24:08

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

In one of his few tweets, Bob recommends you get to get the latest Twilight Sad album. Of course, if he says it, I obey.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

piggymirror

I don't. I still haven't been able to find that "special thing" in The Twililght Sad.

That said, what I'm listening to is much more leftfield.

Dunno.

The thing is I liked There's A Girl In The Corner. Liked but not loved, though.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on April 05, 2019, 04:45:11
I don't. I still haven't been able to find that "special thing" in The Twililght Sad.

They were quite good live when they supported The Cure in 2016. (A mate I met at the gig didn't like them at all though.)
Well I don't need to go and buy all their albums... but maybe someday... ;)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on April 05, 2019, 09:27:51They were quite good live when they supported The Cure in 2016.

Dunno. I find the new bands all the same.
They all sound boring like Arcade Fire or Franz Ferdinand.
You may like this or that song, that yes.
But it's been many years since I haven't found any new classic band (by classic I mean guitar, drums, bass, voice) that's exciting.

I make exciting discoveries, but it's always older stuff.

The last band that truly left me astounded was Pulp. And Pulp is an eighties band (people forget it, but their first album came out earlier than The Smiths' first album). Only that they became famous in the nineties.

I only find excitement in electronic music (and not all of it).

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on April 07, 2019, 04:57:14I find the new bands all the same.

Oh well, you're obviously looking in the wrong places!  :lol:
(Or you just have no taste  :P ... joke only!!)
How old are ya? You sound like I should sound, the old sod I am...  :winking_tongue

I guess there are many exciting bands doing the club circuit - it's just that they have no media coverage or any support from anyone...

What I've experienced is: many bands are exciting live, then I buy their cd, but I don't listen that often, because live there is much more "spark" flying over than with the "cold" digital sound.

dsanchez

I like them very much, but never clicked with them totally either. From Robert's recommendations, the one band that I found truly special is 65dos. Their album 'Wild Light' is a masterpiece.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on April 07, 2019, 10:36:19
Quote from: piggymirror on April 07, 2019, 04:57:14I find the new bands all the same.

Oh well, you're obviously looking in the wrong places!  :lol:
(Or you just have no taste  :P ... joke only!!)
How old are ya? You sound like I should sound, the old sod I am...  :winking_tongue

To give you an idea of my tastes, lately I'm listening to-

Scott Walker (later era, not pre-Nite Flights)
Erik Satie
Brian Eno
David Sylvian
Twin Peaks soundtrack
Disco Inferno
Codeine
Synthwave youtube instrumentals
Ambient youtube instrumentals

Every now and then I listen to pop music (although yes, Sylvian has his pop side, but that's not what I'm listening the most from him lately...).

I don't know wether Robert had any input, but a Fiction band that I like a lot is The God Machine.

piggymirror

Quote from: dsanchez on April 07, 2019, 20:26:42

I like them very much, but never clicked with them totally either.

To me, this is not a "like very much" but a "huh, okay, maybe later I'll pay attention if I feel like it, but likely not".

Quote from: dsanchez on April 07, 2019, 20:26:42
From Robert's recommendations, the one band that I found truly special is 65dos. Their album 'Wild Light' is a masterpiece.

I forgot Mogwai. But I knew about them without the need of Robert's advice.

65dos are out of my radar. I'll check.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on April 12, 2019, 06:07:47
To give you an idea of my tastes, lately I'm listening to-

Brian Eno
Twin Peaks soundtrack

Not bad!  :smth023
I've listened to Twin Peaks soundtrack(s) a lot, I even made a cd compilation of my own for the car.

We had a topic about our faves here (in case you haven't contributed yet):
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Quote from: piggymirror on April 12, 2019, 06:07:47I don't know wether Robert had any input, but a Fiction band that I like a lot is The God Machine.

Why should he have any input just because they're on the same label?

Talking of Fiction (and the person who discovered that band!), here's an interview:
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8216.0

QuoteI have to say that my favourite band was The God Machine. My son Jimmy is named after the bass player Jimmy Fernandez. He died quite suddenly at 27. It still breaks my heart.
I saw them playing at a place called the Vicarage near Camden, it was outside in a ruined church with a massive bonfire. I was with a friend, we couldn't believe what we had witnessed. Eventually, Chris called me from New York and we signed them. I think there is possibly one band in a lifetime that you call favourite, and for me it is the God Machine.

Ulrich

Currently the Twilight Sad offer 2 live EPs on their "bandcamp" page:

https://thetwilightsad.bandcamp.com/album/live-2022-ep-2

QuoteLive 2022 EP 2 featuring a further four tracks recorded in Köln, Basel, Frankfurt and Paris during our 2022 European tour with The Cure.

released December 11, 2022

https://thetwilightsad.bandcamp.com/album/live-2022-ep

QuoteA new live EP featuring four tracks recorded in Antwerp, Bordeaux and Amsterdam during our 2022 European tour with The Cure.

Available exclusively on Bandcamp on a pay what you can basis.

released December 2, 2022