No more mp3 shows from tomorrow

Started by dsanchez, October 31, 2006, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think about the decision taken by Curefans.com?

Great, we don't need the mp3 garbage anymore
13 (14.3%)
Great, there are enough mp3 shows in this forum (thousands)
6 (6.6%)
Cool, it will stop some people from just using the forum just to grab shows
1 (1.1%)
Great, FLAC or other lossless format will keep the quality of our Cure shows
18 (19.8%)
Bad, cause there are still some people who like mp3
47 (51.6%)
I don't care. FLAC or MP3, it's the same stuff to me
6 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Darth Blood

this disscussion starts to became pointless... the rule has been decided... so maybe the MP3 collectors can find a way to trade their MP3 shows... so people that preferred MP3 will look for the way of find MP3 shows... leechers will be on the net ever... so when somebody UNDERSTANDS and RESPECTS the RULES will do not have issues about the files format in the forum...

:rocker
Darth Blood

japanesebaby

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 04, 2006, 02:43:56
Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2006, 00:42:08
Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 03, 2006, 21:11:07
But we should also let people decide for themselves what they want to download.

exactly. and the only way to let people decide anything at all is to upload in original  uncompressed format

No, you're wrong. If you have it this way, people don't have a choice what they'd rather download because YOU are making that choice for them. Oh, let me guess ... it's for their own good, right? Because they are not mentally capable of making the "right" choice. If they don't know what's good for them, they must not be given a choice! Sorry, but this kind of thinking is causing me a heavy allergic reaction.

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2006, 00:42:08
you cannot undo the lossy compression once it's there = there's no decisions left to make, even if one wanted to.

You still don't understand, do you? This is not about flac OR mp3! One must not exclude the other! Why can't both formats exist here? No one will force you to download any mp3's. But it might make life a lot easier for people with slow connections, or people who think that flac would be a waste on audience recordings. Maybe I would even download certain audience recordings, but not if they are huge flac files.

If the downloads are properly labelled, everyone can download whatever he wants!

unfortunately, like darth blood says, i can see that this isn't going anywhere.
because come on, why are we having this discussion? because the starting point was that several point were made why the co-existent sharing in both mp3s and flac was considered problematic. these points have been explained several times by several different people on several different threads on this board, so i don't feel like repeating it here. please see these threads.
so, this was the starting point, the situation was considered problematic and reasons for this were explained - but still you're asking "why can't we have both?! one must not exclude the other!" 
?

and let's say we'd let the carefree co-existence continue: do you really think anything would change? that people would sudeenly start uploading "better quality" mp3s? i think this is wishful thinking - what would happen is that all these same ages old unlistenably bad and sad 128 kb/s (or lower) encoded file sets would just continue their neverending circulation (or peple might start re-encoding their 128 kb/s files to 320 kb/s and imagine they'd  somehow get better - like pointed out here earlier, no-one could ever tell the difference between those re-encoded messes. it would only mean the overall quality would go even lower than it was before. with lossless and lossy files this difference is at least possible to make, so it can be controlled).
and yes, people would also have good reason to keep saying "oh, audience recordings are just so bad" because surely those ancient files sets are truly horrible most of the time, i admit that: they are mostly unlistenable and only distorted grotesque images of what they originally were - they make me really sad.
and also, every now and then some fine new recording would suffer the same fate - possibly pissing of another taper so that even less quality recording got shared in the future.

so i'm afraid that as long as one doesn't want to see these starting points, the reasons why this decision was made, i'm afraid we're not getting much anywhere here and we're actually not really talking about the same thing/subject at all.
thus all this: "you still don't get it!" 

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 04, 2006, 02:43:56
If you have it this way, people don't have a choice what they'd rather download because YOU are making that choice for them. Oh, let me guess ... it's for their own good, right? Because they are not mentally capable of making the "right" choice. If they don't know what's good for them, they must not be given a choice! Sorry, but this kind of thinking is causing me a heavy allergic reaction.

well... before you start accusing anyone for making choices for others: please read the thread above. and also, riddle me this: what about all these situations where people carelessly encode straight to lossy in order to share, aren't they making choices for those other people out there who'd really like to get the recording in lossless format? what about that? and what's the difference: the difference is what i meant when i said that lossless is the only way to try to guarantee that you are not making choices for anyone else. because converting lossless to lossy will always remain possible, so people who only want mp3s for their ipods can still get what they want by downloading flac. but there's no way to make it work the other way round.
so if it gives you an allergic reaction: well i just can't start listing all those dozens of times i've felt disappointed and sick when i've known that this or that person had the lossless original in his/her hands but that the only way he/she chose to share was to put it up in some butchered form. to see that happening has made me sad, everytime.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Everyone has expressed their opinions so I think it's time to close this topic. Let's move on.

David.

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on November 03, 2006, 20:30:06
Everyone has expressed their opinions so I think it's time to close this topic. Let's move on.

David.

I think we can leave it open... But let's not just keep talking about the same thing over and over and over. :roll:

Oso Blanco

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 03, 2006, 21:18:07
But let's not just keep talking about the same thing over and over and over. :roll:

Agreed. I think I have explained my thoughts about three times now, but it seems that people are still missing the whole point I was trying to make.

One last suggestion to anyone who has replied to me: Could you please READ my posts, and at least TRY to understand my words before you are quoting yourselves over and over again? It seems that you still don't have the slightest idea what I was talking about.

But, to quote an ancient proverb: The moderators are always right. Why would we lowly people need the freedom of choice, when the enlightened rulers of this forum are obviously far better qualified to make all the choices for us?

Resistance is futile!
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

dsanchez

No-one has the true.

However, something it's a real fact: upload mp3s without control have converted this forum in a download-upload-download-upload site with few discussions. Curefans.com was NOT created for this. So now, we hope with this decision to change the things a bit: more discussions than "download-upload-download-upload". Maybe is a good decision, maybe is not. Time will speak.

Cheers,

David.

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 03, 2006, 22:26:42
Quote from: lostflower4 on November 03, 2006, 21:18:07
But let's not just keep talking about the same thing over and over and over. :roll:

Agreed. I think I have explained my thoughts about three times now, but it seems that people are still missing the whole point I was trying to make.

One last suggestion to anyone who has replied to me: Could you please READ my posts, and at least TRY to understand my words before you are quoting yourselves over and over again? It seems that you still don't have the slightest idea what I was talking about.

But, to quote an ancient proverb: The moderators are always right. Why would we lowly people need the freedom of choice, when the enlightened rulers of this forum are obviously far better qualified to make all the choices for us?

Resistance is futile!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

no, you're wrong. actually i have a very clear idea what you are saying. but that doesn't mean i had to agree with you in everything. obviously we disagree on many aspects, but where's the drama?
and sure, i've been quoting myself but i'm not the only one: 
I think I have explained my thoughts about three times now

But, to quote an ancient proverb: The moderators are always right.

before you decide make this the good ol' "us or them": look around and see that maybe all the moderators haven't exactly agreed on this either. so maybe your "us or them" isn't quite justified. maybe i've been simply talking here as an individual, not as some sort of a "ruler" - as you seem to like to imagine things here are.

Resistance is futile!

resistance? was it even meant to be a battle anyway?

my last comment - and i'm NOT talking as a moderator of anything:
you were actually right when you said this is not about mp3s or flac. the admins (NB: not myself) have stated repeatedly that the hub for downloads (whatever the format) was not their original idea for the whole thing here. that's the whole point. and let's imagine you'd be involved in running some "project" like this yourself and you'd suddenly notice it had turned into something else than you actually planned for and the got all unbalanced. wouldn't you like to sit down and think and do something about it? or should you just let it all drift and just try to bear it and try not to care, just let it all keep happening because someone else thought it's still quite ok? wouldn't you be responsible to do something?
and sure, whatever actions you took, you'd already know it's impossible to please everyone. sad? always is.
so let's leave it here.

bye folks.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Oso Blanco

Quote from: dsanchez on November 03, 2006, 22:34:37
No-one has the true.

However, something it's a real fact: upload mp3s without control have converted this forum in a download-upload-download-upload site with few discussions. Curefans.com was NOT created for this. So now, we hope with this decision to change the things a bit: more discussions than "download-upload-download-upload".

And you seriously believe that banning mp3's will change that? The only difference will be that people will now be up- und downloading flac files istead of mp3 files. There won't be any more discussions than before. People are already discussing on two other boards, maybe even more. There is only so much need for discussing things, and maybe people just don't want to have the same discussion on three boards at the same time?

lostflower4

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 04, 2006, 10:15:49And you seriously believe that banning mp3's will change that?

I believe it. It's certainly made you a much more active member. :lol:

Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 03, 2006, 23:46:24

Resistance is futile!

resistance? was it even meant to be a battle anyway?

You obviously didn't get the reference ... :roll:

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 03, 2006, 23:46:24
it's impossible to please everyone.

True. But it's possible to please the majority. Hint: Take a look at the poll results.

slit-the-cats-like-cheese

Quote from: Oso Blanco on November 04, 2006, 10:56:35
True. But it's possible to please the majority. Hint: Take a look at the poll results.

what is a right way running a shop that maybe sell something? you ask as many people as possible what want to buy and then choose this item only because it means a lot of customers or you choose something you are interested to working with yourself and then ok have maybe less customers - but hey at least you like your job! which i think is valuable thing worth to choose because most people in this world seem to always only hate their jobs no?  ;)  i suppose both are possible choice but both are different choice: first focus on pleasing people (and making money) the second focus on doing something you feel is worth to do and devote your time. so people who have interest will come in and see and look around in your shop and stay and other people passing by. it is only matter of choose to focus when you are taking care of the house.

so i think this with internet board is no different: if we wish people running the forum for us then they must enjoy it themselves first no? someone can say first "no, they must please the majority!" but if you think of it, if put so much your effort into something then you have to enjoy it or it start to make no sense to you soon. yes it is definitely very difficult question and difficult choice to make here, but at least it is not just matter of majority wishes. board is not existing here without someone who decided to be interested to keep it up. i think we could try undestand it too.

like i say it is great that everyone here can say their opinion about this change but anyway it look like the change is here now and we could trying to see how it work and give a chance and not waste time only looking for more argument.
this is only my opinion when i follow conversation.

thanks

Cure

guess it's useless 2 spend more time on this topic.
the change's done, it can't b taken back, so..

we g2 accept it & move on..

we're still cure-fans after all..
we'll still exchange cure-stuff..

i definitely prefer mp3 but i can't do anythin now.

so, go on...
[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

lostflower4

According to the poll, half the people don't like it, and the other half like it or don't have an opinion.

But what about the other 900 members? I guess they're the silent ones who don't care and will just take whatever they can get? :?

dsanchez

Actually just 49,3% goes for mp3 meaning there is more than the half who agree with the idea or just does not care (watch the poll).

Let's see the stats at the end of november to see the first results we get with this decision.

Cheers

David.

Quote from: lostflower4 on November 05, 2006, 00:46:09

According to the poll, half the people don't like it, and the other half like it or don't have an opinion.

But what about the other 900 members? I guess they're the silent ones who don't care and will just take whatever they can get? :?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo