Signatures and images inside posts

Started by dsanchez, January 25, 2008, 16:54:56

Previous topic - Next topic

LuvURobert

Yeah, CV.  Please don't take it personally.  You had a great banner!!  Aaaah, it's not even worth getting upset over.  :smth001
"And I shiver and shake
When I think of how you make me hate"

Lady

Don't know if it was necessary, but I modified my signature, too!

No matter if I can't use images... I just can't give up on colourful signatures!!! :-D
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Steve

Quote from: scatcat on January 26, 2008, 17:55:42
so are you gonna shrink yours down to 2 lines, ? hmmm :smth020

Got it down to 4, but there's no big banner or picture or moving graphics & things. :oops: ;)
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

Quote from: scatcat on January 26, 2008, 16:29:00
I agree with marika that maybe it would be more useful to utilise the " blog" option available, but for some, advertising oneself is just not an option.

I speak here only in my own experience, that a blog about myself is the last thing I could do, not only for the skills required, but also, a breach of confidentiality as well as privacy.

about advertising: i personally think that signatures are a lot more advert-like than  blogs - not just here but elsewhere in the web too. that's because signatures are simply repeated messages (like adverts). blogs are something that are "alive" (at least at their best! mine might be a bit dead sometimes haha  ;)). and of course it's possible to put up an annoyingly advert-like blog too, but i really don't see anything advert like in the concept of having a blog. it depends on what you put there, how you run it.
but signatures really can't be very versatile, to me they are just adverts, basically.   

i am maybe not quite sure what you mean about "a breach of confidentiality" and "privacy" there: maybe i read you wrong....(?). anyway. i don't think blogs as such are something that would "encourage" anyone to post anything really personal/anything that might compromise their privacy. because it's all your own choice, what you choose to post there. :!:
having a blog doesn't mean you have to write about yourself at all. hey you can write about your neighbor if you want! ;P
for instance, i do have a blog but i have absolutely no intention/interest to write anything about myself/my life/what happend to me today etc. etc. (although that's not because i was afraid of my privacy but mostly just because i'd just find it totally boring for anyone to read...).
i only write about music/gigs i've seen/etc., nothing else. that's my choice. and i don't feel i am compromising my private information there at all.
(or maybe i misread you... please correct me if i did!)

so with blogs, you can always create it yourself and choose what to post in there, there are no limits to imagination....
and no-one's forcing anyone to write about anything in particular - hey it can be totally non-cure related too. imagination's your friend.... and we all have it!  :smth023

Quote from: scatcat on January 26, 2008, 17:47:00
In regards to the "blog" section of the Curefans forum, it is difficult to find, unless using the 'search' option.
Maybe this 'blog' function ( which really hasn't been updated by those who currently have blogs), could be easier and more visible from the heading options, E.G. where we can find the Gallery, Calendar, Map etc.. ?
just a thought.
It may just streamline acces to this option, and increase interest?

about this i totally agree: the blog section is just way too hard to find at the moment. :!: so people just don't find it unless they already have it bookmarked or something. that's not good enough!
like scatcat suggested, i think we could/should have a direct link somewhere in the home site, next to gallery/calendar/map etc.
i would really encourage people to develop their blogs because i'm sure many  interesting "little worlds" could be created this way... but we do need more visibility first!!  :!:

and @ CV - like said above... why do you always take things so personally here? you know, it's starting to make me really disappointed sometimes, to read it over and over again here, like nothing ever changed... i mean, whatever we try to say to you here, it doesn't seem to mean anything to you or have no effect... you just don't seem to believe us... :roll:
it does make me sad a lot of times.
because if you check the thread above you can see that NOBODY mentioned YOU and nobody here said your banners are "crap".  so actually i'm afraid it was just you yourself who said that about yourself, no-one else said it...

so again (and no offense to you) but... please don't put words to other people's mouth... ok?
i get really tired sometimes, sorry but i do.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

Quote from: iwannashagsimon on January 26, 2008, 17:27:57
Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 14:42:21

ok... but then i don't see what the problem with using your signature animation as your avatar might be? :?:

There's no problem.  I just don't want to.

in all, let's not get so emotional here, people!

how about trying to think it this way:

yes, there's been a lot of creativity visible in many members banners/signatures - and we do not want to disencourage anyone's creativity here, not at all. nobody here said it was a bad thing - just that it's maybe not ideally placed/located at the moment. we want to make this place look as good as possible and so in this respect we've come to think that we could do much better, maybe.
please try to see that:
- loading your signature with big files can considerably slow the site down = true.
- it can make things drag here = true.
- it adds visual advert-like clatter to the board and at the same time diminishes general readability because people reading the comments have to hop over repeated signatures every once in a while = true.

we would like to offer a streamlined, easy-to-read-through forum for all our readers. :!:
so why not try to think of something that benefits everyone and does NOT put down anyone's creativity, ok?
besides, since the space/volume deserved for signatures is going to be very limited anyway, wouldn't it be actually a lot better if there were more space to carry out the creativity in us? and that's where the blogs can offer everyone a nice little corner, where to experiment, post pics, thoughs, art, writings, whatever it is that we do!
blogs are easy to put up, easy to maintain once you get into it. and people already into it can always give advice to those who are just getting into it for the first time, no problem.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: Carnage Visor on January 26, 2008, 19:26:36
Well thanks...I work really hard on my banners. Great to know they're "Ugly" and "crap"...

I wasnt refering to anyone in particular, and if you notice, there's more people in this forum who use images in banners besides you. Also check my post above. I didn't write anything there, but just highlighted the things I agree with. So take it easy man, there's nothing personal with you!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: scatcat on January 26, 2008, 17:08:37
Quote from: dsanchez on January 26, 2008, 15:47:25

sometimes the signatures take up more lines/space on the screen than the actual messages. And then there are those annoying signatures with pictures and big ugly banners.

David, apologies..  I finally read your post through again.. sorry...

No problem. Personally, what bothers me more is the fact that "sometimes the signatures take up more lines/space on the screen than the actual messages", and this is a consequence of a huge banner (despite if it's well designed or not).
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

scatcat

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 27, 2008, 00:03:31

having a blog doesn't mean you have to write about yourself at all. hey you can write about your neighbor if you want! ;P
for instance, i do have a blog but i have absolutely no intention/interest to write anything about myself/my life/what happend to me today etc. etc. (although that's not because i was afraid of my privacy but mostly just because i'd just find it totally boring for anyone to read...).
i only write about music/gigs i've seen/etc., nothing else. that's my choice. and i don't feel i am compromising my private information there at all.
(or maybe i misread you... please correct me if i did!)

so with blogs, you can always create it yourself and choose what to post in there, there are no limits to imagination....
and no-one's forcing anyone to write about anything in particular - hey it can be totally non-cure related too. imagination's your friend.... and we all have it!  :smth023

thanks, I understand more now about 'blogs'.. I assumed it was more like a personal diary. But your explanation makes it clearer   :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

iwannashagsimon

Quote from: japanesebaby on January 26, 2008, 14:42:21

in all, let's not get so emotional here, people!

how about trying to think it this way:

yes, there's been a lot of creativity visible in many members banners/signatures - and we do not want to disencourage anyone's creativity here, not at all. nobody here said it was a bad thing - just that it's maybe not ideally placed/located at the moment. we want to make this place look as good as possible and so in this respect we've come to think that we could do much better, maybe.
please try to see that:
- loading your signature with big files can considerably slow the site down = true.
- it can make things drag here = true.
- it adds visual advert-like clatter to the board and at the same time diminishes general readability because people reading the comments have to hop over repeated signatures every once in a while = true.

we would like to offer a streamlined, easy-to-read-through forum for all our readers. :!:
so why not try to think of something that benefits everyone and does NOT put down anyone's creativity, ok?
besides, since the space/volume deserved for signatures is going to be very limited anyway, wouldn't it be actually a lot better if there were more space to carry out the creativity in us? and that's where the blogs can offer everyone a nice little corner, where to experiment, post pics, thoughs, art, writings, whatever it is that we do!
blogs are easy to put up, easy to maintain once you get into it. and people already into it can always give advice to those who are just getting into it for the first time, no problem.

I give up. I changed it. 

Speaking of blogs.  I do have one, but I dunno what to put in it!  So thus it is crap.  Here's the link so you can see what I mean:

http://iwannashagsimon.livejournal.com

melly

"Fat boy Smith"?? you referring to Robert I assume??!! tut tut... :smth017

I wouldn't even know how to "make" a blog, don't think I would be that interested honestly...but it's a good idea for those who enjoy doing that sort of thing! I'll just stay with what I know, I think .......I heard that!!!  (*whisperings* that's not much, is it?.... )  :smth019 :smth048

:-D

" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

disintegration

My signature is OK!
I don't change, don't have images, but always signature.
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

scatcat

Quote from: disintegration on January 27, 2008, 10:28:04
My signature is OK!

disintegration.. I'm gonna miss seeeing the flag  :!:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

disintegration

Quote from: scatcat on January 27, 2008, 10:40:53
My signature is OK!

Me, too.... :cry:
Datemi un cielo per caderci dentro!
SOLO LA TERNANA!
http://www.ternanashirts.it/
LADY, la luce nel mio buio!

Lady

Quote from: scatcat on January 27, 2008, 10:40:53
My signature is OK!

Eheh, scatcat if you knew disi, you'd change your mind...he's a maniac of "ternana"!!!!He always nags me with it...after years I'm "a little sick"!!!! :-D ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

scatcat

:smth081  now the cure for you...   :smth023  salute to you in his signature  :-D
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life